What's the obsession with buckskins and duns?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
How very dare you call my Pally a Barbie 😂
I do often wish I could dye her mane & tail & turn her into a dun - life would be easier 😬
Always loved the colour but another middle aged fuddy here who can't use the term "buckskin" just doesn't sound right to me 🙈

I actually have one too 😂 someone called her a Barbie horse on another thread so I was working off that 😂

2D99C0CE-25F1-4F1B-A92A-B874D9F90460.jpeg

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
We have a barbie too

I just asked mum what she wanted for her birthday, she said a new whip as she only has the pink sparkly one left atm.... I bought her that :p that's what you get if you own a barbie pony :p

207268_10150555464080438_1307030_n.jpg

ester

Visit site
that's her best side, it misses the confo flaws ;).
Winning the RC prettiest mare class was probably the highlight of her career :D Total mummy's girl, gets very jealous if she pays too much attention to Frank.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Always had a soft spot for Buckskins and especially Pallys. When I was younger PBA palominos were especially popular, my pony when I was younger was a PBA chestnut mare that came out of that breeding and while she was a gorgeous golden chestnut part of me wished she'd inherited the cream from her palomino grandsire.

ester

Visit site
pmsl time share? She is a real sweetie just that generally I end up being the bad cop like clipping.

She was bought as a 2yo by someone who always wanted a palo but she was too much physically for.
she was then bought as a 4yo by someone who always wanted a palo who then ran out of money so we saw her as a 5yo with 10 week shoes on.
We wanted an older, darker coloured gelding (Frank basically, he came along a year later).... she's been here 15years now!

HashRouge

Visit site
We have a barbie too

I just asked mum what she wanted for her birthday, she said a new whip as she only has the pink sparkly one left atm.... I bought her that :p that's what you get if you own a barbie pony :p

207268_10150555464080438_1307030_n.jpg
The hilarious thing is, I really did have a plastic Barbie horse that looked the spitting image of this (and yours LG!). I liked her because she looked like an Arab (even though I knew you couldn't get palomino purebreds) and I named her Hwin after one of the horses in The Horse and His Boy. She's probably still under my bed in a box somewhere at Mum and Dad's house. My friend had exactly the same one and she called hers Shantih (she was the one who made me obsessed with Arabs and got me hooked on the Jinny books).

Mule

Visit site
Saw a lovely Dun at xc today. I'm not sure I'd ever seen one irl before. Not close up anyway.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Dun/Buckskin is my absolute favourite colour. When we were looking for ponies we viewed a buckskin connemara who was stunning. But lame.

A Section D buckskin or dun (don't know how you'd tell) was born this week on our farm. He is just gorgeous.

Dusty M Yeti

Visit site
My black based dun/grullo (thanks Ester ;) ) Arnold, in his new summer coat with the remnants of his winter coat (much sandier) left on the clip line. Can see his tiger stripe legs here although in full summer coat they are more obvious. He's a WHW rescue, I just wanted something with similar grazing requirements to my other shetland, his colour didn't come in to the decision at all, but I do like it ;)

arnoldandcynthia.jpg

GreyMane

Visit site
To me it looks like that photo was taken from too low down and towards the back, screwing the perspective.
Thanks for that. "How to photograph horses without distortion" would be a useful thread...
My digital camera is rubbish for this, it seems to double the size of the horse's head while the back legs shrink :(

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I do like buckskin but can't say I particularly like the dilute colours all that much. And I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it..!!
I love chestnuts or bright bays with dark points but mostly I'm a sucker for a cow patch horse :p

ester

Visit site

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Had to go digging in archives, we've had some lovely dun foresters, a fab palomino Welsh a and a C, hope the pics work.
The dun jumping was back in 96, she jumped for fun to about 3ft 6, bigger when dragging if required, the palomino barbie entire was taken in 2001 and he had at least 3 very good seasons out, all with dd in the seat. Cant find any pics of the cracking Welsh a. 20190506_160821.jpg20190506_160845.jpg20190506_160804.jpg

_HP_

Visit site
Love a dun...😀

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1531423381430.jpg
    FB_IMG_1531423381430.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: TPO

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I've got a bright bay D who I love to bits & last year bought a yearling buckskin gelding. I've admired & followed both his sire & grandsire closely for years both proven successfully competition wise & colour more being an added bonus, so when he came up with both in his breeding & at a price I could afford being so young, I couldn't resist!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190411_145459.jpg
    Screenshot_20190411_145459.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 7

Megan V1

Visit site
It's a fashion thing, coloureds were all the rage a few years back and there was a massive glut of them on the market, now its cremellos, creams and duns. I love a plain dark bay with as little white as possible but I do love a dark, dappled dun/buckskin as they are so striking. I have a palamino miniature and everyone calls her a barbie pony, doesn't help that my MIL bought a bright pink, blingy headcollar for her. She is very pretty though.