What's the weirdest non-horsey item you use down the yard?

my bfg

Visit site
I've got a random collection of items kept in my stable, all have their uses but it wasn't until a non-horsey friend commented on them that I started thinking actually I guess they are a tad odd.

My weirdest top 5 a according to my mate were:
Nappies - abscess prone Ned
Manual lawnmower - Ned won't eat long grass so I top the grass and weeds with it
Battery powered fence paint sprayer - so much easier than a pump action backpack for weed spraying!
Cat flea comb - for combing feather
Last but not least - set of swimming pool steps - to climb over top rail only perimeter fence to weed pick neighbours fence line after spraying

What are your weirdest items?

glamourpuss

Visit site
A couple of these http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washi...a-plush-micro-noodle-wash-mitt/prod_1251.html perfect for bathing when wet for getting a shine on a coat when dry

These pan scourers http://www.delivernet.co.uk/cleaning-cloths--scourers/1041-metal-pan-scourers-.html brilliant at getting dried mud/sweat off especially for thin skinned horses.

Cling film - use with aqueous cream under bandages to sweat off mud fever scabs

Exfoliating sponges like this http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=121158893523 I have one which I put a dribble of baby oil on the scratchy side then rub into coat after grooming...brings a lovely shine to the coat!

AnotherNewbie

Visit site
Went into Sainsbury's with friend the other day as we were going to attack sheath and also trying to think of things to get on top of thrush prone horse (moved area and old treatments no longer effective). Sooo, came out with sudocreme, baby wipes, caneston cream, and i'm sure there was something else weird. Was also going to get KY Jelly but by gawd is it expensive!!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Toothbrush for cleaning frogs and a small paint brush for applying Stockholm tar.
Teabags for cleaning eyes.
Painter and decorator's sheepskin mitt for getting the shine on my black horse.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
a knife that found its way in to my bag at a 5 star hotel, for chopping apples and carrots of course!

a pair of bath glove things for exfoliating, just to scrub the mare with when I bath her!

nothing really random that I can think of!

TheLadyInBay

Visit site
a tea towel for polishing coat

a hair treatment mask for before shows

a ladle to mix feeds

wilko suncream

endless amounts of sudocrem

foundation brush for highlights when out showing :D

Fools Motto

Visit site
Plain razor blades - for the 'pulled mane effect'. I don't pull, I cut. Horse hates being pulled. Always looks OK.
Can of furniture polish.. mane/tail conditioner.
Duvet covers - excellent 'hay carry bags' to the fields.
Dustpan and brush - cleaning troughs.

Sure there is a few more oddities, but brain fry atm.

Madam Min

Visit site
Probably nappies for abscesses, my auntie bought some from her local corner shop when her mare had an abscess, shop assistant was a tad perplexed when they asked my auntie "How olds you child?" and auntie said "There not for a child" :eek: ;)

Coblover63

Visit site
Bed sheet for carrying hay. Potties from the pound shop as pole raisers. I have a tall larder fridge laid down on it's side which doubles up as storage for our hats and BP's AND a seat. Another fridge/freezer stood up for general storage. A wooden kitchen trolley for more storage and I have my gas canister hob and whistling kettle on the top! (no electric)

FionaM12

Visit site
Mouth wash, medicated talc and nail brush for mud fever and rain scald (Mollie gets both these only very mildly and my home remedies seem to prevent it getting any worse :) ).

Wilkinson's cheapest £1 hairbrush for mane and tail.

Face flannels for damp-dusting her when my allergies are bad! :D

Marker pens and brightly-coloured sticky tape for labelling all my stuff to prevent it walking ;)

Short piece of hose pipe, part of my de-sensitized stuff to get the daft girl used to being hosed.

Pile of polystyrene pulled from a skip to insulate the yard tap in winter! :D

Oh and hot-water bottle and kettle to defrost tap when the insulation fails.

Dog chain and muzzle to control my batty terrier and prevent him terrorising the yard cat.

Last edited:

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Wire cat brush for cleaning hay etc out of velcro to revitalise boots etc.

Washing up sponge/scourer with washing up liquid in the handle for cleaning muck patches off a grey horse.

13mm ratchet ring spanner for putting in studs

Mechanic's magnetic tray for studs so I don't drop & lose them in the grass.

Toilet bag for holding stud kit etc.

WD40 for spraying cotton wool for plugging stud holes

Probably other things as well but can't think at moment. I buy as much as I can from outlets other than Tack shops because as soon as something is labelled 'Equine' the price doubles!

Tobiano

Visit site
I have a plastic battery massager shaped like a bee, which I am using to get Roo desensitised to clipping.

And when Xas was bitey, I had 2 very bristly door mats which I cut up to make arm shields for when I led him.

I also had the chance to get hold of some Avon Skin So Soft recently, so I eagerly bought 4 bottles for use with the horses.... only I cant now remember what it was meant to be so good for....

ibot

Visit site
its funny I buy these in the shop and its only when you get hubby taking the mickey out of me with the check out person that I think maybe im a soft touch lol
hayfever pills
baby wipes
those scrunchy shower sponges for bathing
shampoo and conditioner
sudacrem
baby oil
olive oil
of course carrots and apples
vinegar
I am curious thou what do you do with the mouth wash etc?? sorry was on other page not sure who wrote!!!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
We use Vaseline for frozen or stiff locks.
Just remembered I have a snow shovel for mucking out. It scrapes the floor in a jiffy and saves sweeping time.
And latex gloves for keeping hands dry when soaking hay in freezing weather, cleaning under stable mats and unblocking drains.

Nannon

Visit site
Furniture polish for shiny manes and coats
Tea towels for getting dust off coat
One of those microfibre car wash mitts for getting shine and sprays onto him
Fridge freezers for storing things in!

Quick question - what size nappies do you get for poulticing? My boy looks like he has an abscess brewing and last time it cost me a fortune in animalintex!

Greylegs

Visit site
Some of these are great! Tobiano, Avon SSS is for repelling midges, works on horses and humans.

I have SSS too, but also
Swiss Army knife which acts as a cutter, screw driver, hoof pick and lots of other things
A hammer
Phone charger
Sewing kit - I'm always the one who puts back missing buttons etc in emergencies (don't people learn to sew these days?)
Indelible marker for marking my kit
Duct tape
Cable ties
Rescue remedy
Tea bags
Hole punch

mynutmeg

Visit site
Went into Sainsbury's with friend the other day as we were going to attack sheath and also trying to think of things to get on top of thrush prone horse (moved area and old treatments no longer effective). Sooo, came out with sudocreme, baby wipes, caneston cream, and i'm sure there was something else weird. Was also going to get KY Jelly but by gawd is it expensive!!

Try a farm shop for lambing/calving lube. You get a big bottle for a fiver (was in my foaling kit :p)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I also had the chance to get hold of some Avon Skin So Soft recently, so I eagerly bought 4 bottles for use with the horses.... only I cant now remember what it was meant to be so good for....

Fab on feathers and cures my boy's mud fever, also great for the basis of fly spray.

Talyn

Visit site
I use a squeezy sauce bottle (the type you find at the roadside burger van!) to flush out my horses hooves before applying thrush treatment!

FionaM12

Visit site
I am curious thou what do you do with the mouth wash etc?? sorry was on other page not sure who wrote!!!

I think that was me. :redface3: I read online that certain brands are good for killing the bacteria which cause mudfever and rain scald. So I bathe with it when she gets the first sign. It seems to work as far as I can tell.

dominobrown

Visit site
I use Avon skin so soft when putting on quarter marks as well, makes the shiny and holds well, and the fact it repels flies is plus.
I have recently got really into essential oils etc, so I actually make my own cut/ graze ointment, 'hoof oil', skin oil, shampoo and liniment.
Watch out if you are using sudocreme on competition horses- it contains steroids which are banned.

FionaM12

Visit site
Watch out if you are using sudocreme on competition horses- it contains steroids which are banned.

No it doesn't. We use it at work (on people) all the time. We wouldn't be allowed to use a steroid without medical advice.

Sudocreme is a barrier cream with an antiseptic action. Not a steroid.

ibot

Visit site
I think that was me. :redface3: I read online that certain brands are good for killing the bacteria which cause mudfever and rain scald. So I bathe with it when she gets the first sign. It seems to work as far as I can tell.

so do you put it on after you have wet the legs and leave it on? mine has a tad of mud fever so curious