What's your saddle?

Barney&Buzz

Visit site
I've got a GFS GP saddle for my 15hh Connie x Tb and just bought a lovely Martin Wilkinson GP saddle for my 14hh Connie mare.

pansymouse

Visit site
I have three Lauriche all bought on Ebay and fitted by Kay Humphies. The dressage one is virtually never used but is such a work of art I would never sell it. The working hunter is my winter saddle and I used it with a hi viz cover on to protect it. The GP has just been completely rebuit by Barrie Swain with serge panels and is my summer and jumping saddle. I'm not a fan of most modern saddles - they fit neither me or my horse - she's flat backed and big shoulderes and I have long legs.

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
For my TBs I have a Keiffer Garmisch, a Lemetex Husar, and a couple of old Barnsby GPs.
The Keiffer was fitted for my old boy (RIP...) but I then had it fitted to one of the new boys. It fits him perfectly but, strangely, I found it absolutely impossible for me... the knee rolls, which I had loved for the support they gave my legs when out hacking and jumping the odd ditch etc, somehow made me feel disconnected from the new boy. The Lemetex gives me a much "closer" position on him.

Quality-wise, I've been really pleased with all of the above saddles.

Visit site
I have a bit of everything. I have a lovely Jeffries show saddle for my overgrown Hack - really comfey, not much too it. I have a Hazledene Working Hunter saddle for my big lad - comfiest saddle EVER! And it doesn't for your knees into a position.

For the natives: my fell has a Native Pony Company workers saddle that is quite simple devine. The darty has a Eurosport saddle - I HATE it! The cantlenis rediculoisly high but it is the onlu saddle that fits him and he doesnt rodeo in. Then for the shetlands I have 2 Milner saddle pads and a Zoe Snape pad. I love the ZS one and 17yo Milner but the new milner I am not a fan of.

For work riding, breaking and foul weather I have a Zilcp exercise saddle. Light weight, flexible and perfect for youngsters to crash about in before getting an M2M for them.

SNORKEY

Visit site
It took my ages to find a saddle as I've got bad sciatica problems and needed something comfy.
I've got a GFS Genesis synthetic GP saddle, it was about £330. It has a changeable gullet and removable knee rolls. I've had it a year and it still looks new. Very pleased with it.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I have a Barefoot Cheyenne Drytex, and we both adore it......BUT

at the moment I'm riding bareback, and now I've got back into it, I am loving it - and the cellulite is going down too, which has to be a plus ;)

NaeNae87

Visit site
I have a wintec isabell and a trainers xc for my little man and a bates isabell for my tb.

Both isabell's are second hand. I bought the wintec from a classified ad on a site over here similar to h&h, the bates I bought fully mounted from a friend.

I know what to look for in a basic saddle fitt and can pick if a saddle is likely to fit quite well then I get my fitter out to change the flock/cair and gullets.

My trainers XC I bought brand new and then had it fitted to my horse.

Archiepoo

Visit site
im very lucky my YO is a saddle fitter so i have mine checked monthly cos horsey likes changing shape:rolleyes: he in a lemetex grand prix dressage saddle with huge blocks -fantastic for my poor back for hacking ,jumping ,hunting ,everything!:D

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
I have a Stubben Artus close contact saddle and it's the best saddle I have ever owned!! I do dressage, jumping and fast hacks on it on my TB. I was lucky as I bought it 2nd hnd off my friend and his horse was a similar shape to my horse so it's a good fit, my horse is really forward and works well in it.

Javabb94

Visit site
I have an ideal impala pro monoflap which I use on both of mine but just bought another one in the same size as I love it so much so each horse has one

The first one I bought new and this one I managed to find second hand.
I use it for everything but then I only showjump/event with a tiny bit of dressage thrown in for event practice and even so it gives me a really good leg position for flat aswell.

TBsAndWBs

Visit site
A common misconception is that you need to get leather saddles fitted, but that you do not need to get synthetic ones fitted, that you can just bung them on and it's just fine!
I know someone who owns several horses and tends to have a few old thorowgood saddles and the like knocking around, and when one saddle wears out she just bungs on an old synthetic and they're ridden in that. Only one of her horses has a correctly fitted, leather saddle, a lovely Albion, but it doesn't get taken care of well. (All her tack is cleaned using baby wipes. Okay on the synthetic saddles but no wonder the leather bridles are stiff!)
And two of her ponies have white fur around their withers, despite being a black and a bay, from the pressure of ill fitting saddles. Grr.

So definitely get a saddle fitter or someone with good knowledge of saddle fitting to check your saddle, but don't be afraid to buy second hand!

Personally I own one Wintec 500 VSD with Cair, not flocked, which I love. It's a comfy GP and it fitted my old horse much better than his previous saddle.
Lots of brands like Bates, Wintec, Tekna etc do interchangeable gullets now which are great, and the reason I went for a Wintec, as I bought it for a still growing 4 year old TB.

My current horse has a Thorowgood Griffin saddle, which is synthetic, I have her on LWVTB, and if I do end up buying her will probably change her saddle.

So if you're looking for synthetic, I love Wintec, or for more flat backed horse Thorowgood can be good if correctly fitted. If not, Albion, Jeffries, Barsnby, Pessoa, Lovatt and Rickets are all lovely too :)

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
My last 5 saddles have been Thorowgood saddles

Currenty I have a T6 cob GP for my veteran he has had that for years, got it when they first brought out the T6 adjustables

S has a T8 cob GP lovely saddle both are very compfy fit ponies and me and are adjustable :D

Enfys

Visit site
I have western saddles, one Billy Cook, one synthetic Big Horn (not pretty but practical)

Just waiting for my beautiful Tereque saddle to arrive (in dark brown) it has been custom made in Colombia for my Paso mare.

TASA01-D.jpg

lhotse

Visit site
I have an Arabian Saddle Company (Lovatt and Ricketts) Solstice endurance saddle for my arab. It is an older model, which is in perfect condition. I somehow managed to buy it secondhand from a lady who lived not far from me, so I was able to try it out before I brought it. These saddles rarely come up for sale secondhand. It's a wonderfully comfortable saddle, and gives you a very secure seat for riding over rough ground.
I am hoping to do some endurance with my mare, but mainly do long hacks in the wonderful countryside so the saddle is ideal!

lucindakay

Visit site
bates caprilli is great for me as i can do flatwork well enough but sadly i have to change my saddle as no longer fits my tb and we found out yesterday after trying hundreds of new and second hand saddles that only the impala pro fits him so sadly i have to say goodbye to part livery and hello to d.i.y so we can get a saddle we both like!

horses :rolleyes:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Farrington GP which is so comfortable. Jaquar dressage, comfortable and keeps you in the right place but weighs a ton, Jefferies Adler comfortable again but does not fit the horse it came with.

I also have a Heather Moffatt dressage saddle, made by Barrie Swain for my ID horse who had huge shoulders that the saddle was made specifically to fit behind. Cost a blooming fortune, supremely comfortable and helped with a secure position. Used it six times, six wins and then lost the horse and it has never seen the light of day since. Advertised twice and not a call. Anyone any ideas where I could advertise it more successfully ?