When did it become acceptable to allowdogs to run free across other peoples land?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I’m happy to share the world, lots of dogs go in the field with my horses, lots of dogs I meet when out on walks, non of my animals have come to any harm
I thought you shared your home? My sheep were put at risk and were frightened, which bit of that do you not understand?

bonny

Visit site
I fundamentally disagree with your assessment of risk, and your resistance to the idea that the owner is responsible for the safety of their own animal, and that of those affect by their dog. It is no more unacceptable to risk the lives of people with an out of control car (driven by a drunk driver) than it is to risk their lives with an out of control dog (which could equally bolt onto a road and cause an accident), or to risk the lives of livestock (and the livelihoods of those who depend on them).

If you cannot control your animal, it MUST be on a lead. Anything else is poor training and poor management.
Do you spend your time worrying about everything that possibly could go wrong ?

Snitch

Visit site
People have the right to roam in Scotland, the field is close to a village, walkers go through it, everybody is fine
Nobody has the right to not have control of their dogs allowing them to worry stock. There’s been a 67% rise in attacks on sheep in Scotland during the past two years. Your complacency very probably adds to the risk and therefore the problem.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45075534

JFTDWS

Visit site
Do you spend your time worrying about everything that possibly could go wrong ?

No - I spend my life trying to keep my animals safe by assessing risk responsibly - just as I make sensible judgements before I cross the road, or anything else. As a result, I don't often have to worry about my dogs running off and worrying sheep...

bonny

Visit site
No - I spend my life trying to keep my animals safe by assessing risk responsibly - just as I make sensible judgements before I cross the road, or anything else. As a result, I don't often have to worry about my dogs running off and worrying sheep...
Can’t say I have ever worried about my dogs chasing sheep or had need to.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Can’t say I have ever worried about my dogs chasing sheep or had need to.

Good for you. Nor have I. But clearly, as is the entire point of this thread, some people - neither you nor I - should be worrying about it much more than they currently do. Your attitude of "it's not a problem" is entirely irrelevant to a thread where someone's dog has caused a problem and worried sheep.

bonny

Visit site
If a dog is running through a flock of sheep, hunting rabbit, believe me the sheep are worried and WILL run. That means that in theory I could shoot the dog!
I think we’ve already covered this ! I think we all know sheep run away from an attacking dog but short of standing guard all day with a gun at the ready, you are not going to shoot someone’s dog. Anyway if you did that might worry the sheep too !

JFTDWS

Visit site
But farmers do catch dogs worrying sheep - there are dogs shot every year. They are not people who have staked out their flocks with a gun in hand - they are just normal farmers, looking after their livestock. That comment has to be the most absurd argument thus far...

bonny

Visit site
But farmers do catch dogs worrying sheep - there are dogs shot every year. They are not people who have staked out their flocks with a gun in hand - they are just normal farmers, looking after their livestock. That comment has to be the most absurd argument thus far...
I wasn’t being serious !

bonny

Visit site
I can only think you're referring to all your posts on this thread, which have been similarly absurd.
You are so wise ....I stand corrected although would be a dull world in my opinion if we all just agreed with each other !

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I think you’ll find they are all going to end up dead !
As indeed are all living animals, so I guess allowing any animal, including humans to be chased down or bitten to death is acceptable to you? Not that it should make any difference to the actions of others, but our sheep are three eleven year old ewes and their three, three year old off spring.

bonny

Visit site
As indeed are all living animals, so I guess allowing any animal, including humans to be chased down or bitten to death is acceptable to you? Not that it should make any difference to the actions of others, but our sheep are three eleven year old ewes and their three year old off spring.
Nobody got chased down or bitten to death, perhaps you are being just a bit melodramatic

bonny

Visit site
Have you ever seen the damage a "long" dog can do to a flock of ewes? I have and there is nothing melodramtic about being concerned about one running loose with your sheep!
Yes, I’ve seen sheep killed and maimed by dogs, all by dogs that had gone feral, the farm I lived on was close to a new town and had a big problem with dog attacks.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
We've got some problem dogs in our locality: owners (from London) came down here to the country and think its perfectly OK to go off to work and leave their dogs in a "paddock" where they can get out and run around the roads. I and others have had a word with the owners, they just don't get it!

Our local council has got rid of the Dog Wardens, now its all dealt with by "Environmental Health". I reported this matter to them back in the summer and was given a case log no, but have heard nothing since.