When is time to move up in dressage

muddybay

Visit site
Writing this as I'm a bit annoyed at online dressage with the same people getting 70%+ month in and month out in intro and not moving up! I know it sounds like I'm being a sore loser but surely they're not improving if they're just doing intro every month, I'm guessing only to win.

oldie48

Visit site
I guess it depends on what level they are getting 70%, ideally the horse should be working at a level above the one it's competing at (well that's my theory) but if the next level up has movements the horse just isn't ready for then it can't really move up eg Novice to elem, apart from the horse having to be able to do more lateral work, the frame should be more advanced, lots of rider/horse combinations just never get there.

muddybay

Visit site
I guess it depends on what level they are getting 70%, ideally the horse should be working at a level above the one it's competing at (well that's my theory) but if the next level up has movements the horse just isn't ready for then it can't really move up eg Novice to elem, apart from the horse having to be able to do more lateral work, the frame should be more advanced, lots of rider/horse combinations just never get there.
It's intro I'm just frustrated because I'm with a young horse and getting respectable scores but still not enough to be placed because the top 5 seem to be dominated by the same people every month

be positive

Visit site
It's intro I'm just frustrated because I'm with a young horse and getting respectable scores but still not enough to be placed because the top 5 seem to be dominated by the same people every month

It depends on why you are competing, some do it to win or get placed and have no aims beyond that, others use it as a stepping stone, aid to help assess progress so getting placed is less important than getting a better score and comments than previous tests, they then move up to the next level when they feel ready and do not think about the people remaining at the previous level, do it for yourself and your horse and don't dwell on the rest of the competitors, once you have an established canter crack on and do prelims which will give you something new to focus on.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
It depends on why you are competing, some do it to win or get placed and have no aims beyond that, others use it as a stepping stone, aid to help assess progress so getting placed is less important than getting a better score and comments than previous tests, they then move up to the next level when they feel ready and do not think about the people remaining at the previous level, do it for yourself and your horse and don't dwell on the rest of the competitors, once you have an established canter crack on and do prelims which will give you something new to focus on.
agree with this. if the show organisers don't have some kind of criteria when entering to force people to move on up after a run of good scores then all you can do is compete against yourself and use it to gauge your own progress.

muddybay

Visit site
I agree once I've got a consistent correct lead on one rein in my canter I'll move up! He's ready roundness wise but it's really just that that's stopping me from moving up

muddybay

Visit site
agree with this. if the show organisers don't have some kind of criteria when entering to force people to move on up after a run of good scores then all you can do is compete against yourself and use it to gauge your own progress.
I am seeing improvement every time which is great!

AFB

Visit site
I think Intro is a funny one - a lot of people don't like to or even want to canter and so will stick at that level for that reason.

DressageCob

Visit site
The online dressage I have entered is really good, because there is a limited section for genuine newcomers, a restricted and an open. You can only do limited if you haven't scored over 64% at a level and you can't do restricted intro once you've scored 70%. That keeps it fairer I think.

Some people can't/don't canter so you can end up with quite experienced partnerships loitering at intro.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

Do you really need to be placed? Surely you are doing it to improve on your own scores, when you think you have improved enough at intro, move yourself up a level to Prelim and avoid those people.

muddybay

Visit site
Do you really need to be placed? Surely you are doing it to improve on your own scores, when you think you have improved enough at intro, move yourself up a level to Prelim and avoid those people.
I don't do it to place I like to see my own improvement but as I think everyone would admit it's nice to place!