When it's time - honest article from a respected vet

PolarSkye

Visit site
I hope I'm brave enough, soon enough when the time comes . . . my heart will splinter into a million pieces, but I'd rather that than have my Silver Boy suffer needlessly . . .

"When It’s Time

Posted on May 3, 2015 by Doctor Ramey in General Information, Medicine, Musings by Dr. Ramey
HorseEyeOne of the hardest decisions that a horse owner will even have to make is deciding when a horse’s time is over.

I want to talk to you about it.

I want to talk to you about it because all too often, I find that people are afraid of their horse’s death, afraid of loss, afraid of what they’re going to have to do, and of the decision that they’re going to have to make. They don’t want their horse to suffer, they don’t want him* to live one minute more if that minute involves suffering, and they don’t want to let him go one minute too soon. And I want you to understand, I get it, and it’ll be OK. You’re going to do the right thing. You’re going to do the right thing by you, and the right thing by your horse.

You have two great gifts that you can give your horse. First, you can give him a wonderful life, full of good food and care, and free of predators, and from exposure to the elements. Second, you can make sure that he never has to endure overwhelming pain and suffering, at least not for long. I’ve written a lot about how to take good care of him – I thought it was time to write about the end.

HorseTragedyAt the end, you may be confronted with a situation where you really don’t have any choice. I had one of those a few weeks back. A beautiful young gelding was out playing, and he playfully jumped up in the air, as horses often do, bringing us a smile in the process. Unfortunately, he came down with his leg through a fence. In trying to get his leg out of the fence, he snapped a bone in his upper arm. And there was nothing to do. No matter how much money was available, it was a fracture that could not have been fixed. The horse had to be put to sleep. It was horrible. It was sad. But there was nothing else to be done. The right thing was obvious; it was a tragedy, and the situation was hopeless. In such circumstances, we cry, we rage, we are sad, we are devastated. But we know the right thing to do.

The situation isn’t always that clear cut. Sometimes factors beyond the immediate situation come into play. For example, the cost of care may be too much, or the anticipated outcome may not be good. So, for example, earlier this year I attended a horse that had been given a wonderful home for many years. He was colicking. And it was a bad colic. It was a colic that might have been fixed with a colic surgery. But, sadly, due to economic circumstances, my clients couldn’t afford the surgery. They made a very difficult decision to let their old friend go. It was hard, but it was the right thing for them. They had given him a wonderful life, and they didn’t want him to suffer. And they didn’t want to make themselves suffer, either, by taking on a bill that they couldn’t afford. Again, it was a situation where the right decision was clear – difficult, for sure – but clear. They did the right thing by their horse, and by themselves, too.

I think that the third situation is the hardest. It’s the situation where a horse has a chronic problem, or a problem brought on by old age. Maybe he has laminitis that isn’t responding well to treatment; maybe he’s on a downhill slide just because some of his parts are wearing out. Maybe he has bad knees, or maybe his hips are giving out. He’ll have good days, and he’ll have bad days, but the bad days get more frequent, and they get worse. You have to help him up sometimes – and are glad do do so. He’ll have a hard time getting up, or getting around, but he’ll be trying to do his best, because that’s what horses do. They do their best. And we love them for that.

old_horseAnd you’ll worry that one day you’ll come and find him down, in a corner, and unable to get up, or not able to eat. And you’ll worry that you’ll let him go too long, because, really, as much as you don’t want the end to come, you don’t want to let him go too soon.

And it’ll be OK.

I don’t want to sound glib, or flippant, but it’ll be OK because your love for your horse will overcome your fear of loss. You’ll know. You’ll know when it’s time. You’ll know that as much as you’re thinking of you, and how bad you’re going to feel that it’s more important that you think of your good friend. It will be a moment of clarity, of great sadness – even despair – but ultimately, one of peace. And even though it will be a sad moment, and a terrible moment, it will be a moment that you’ll understand, because as much as you wish it could be otherwise, life does come to an end, and you know that. And because of that, the right time, and the right decision will come to you. I promise.

But it will be hard. It will be hard because all of the love and caring that you’ve given. And the joy from all of the adventures and competitions and shows and parades that you’ve shared – joy and love and caring that took years and years to build up – will come rushing out all at once. And you’ll feel like someone hit your heart with an anvil, and you’ll feel like you can’t even think of seeing another horse, and you probably won’t sleep very well for a good little bit.

But soon, you will start to remember how lucky you both were. And you’ll find some pictures. And you’ll start to want to share joys and fun and adventures and love and caring with another lucky horse. And, hopefully, you will. For both of you.

It’ll be OK. You’ll do the right thing. I promise."

P

GemG

Visit site
Actually quite a moving article. Thank you for sharing.

One of the biggest responsibility as a horse owner is this ultimate decision.

Hexx

Visit site
Having just gone through this 5 weeks ago, I wholly empathise with this article.

While trying to be positive about your horse's prognosis because people keep telling you he looks so well/bright/happy when you just know deep down that he is in pain and that pain cannot be controlled, is the worst thing in the world.

Having made the decision to let him go, you feel that the weight has been lifted off your shoulders and you can say goodbye knowing that you have done the right thing, because somehow, oddly, it feels right. You still have to deal with the horrendous grief afterwards, and the great gaping hole this departure has left in your life, but you don't have to think was it the right thing to do, because in the end it was.

My heart goes out to anyone who is going through or has gone through this awful time.

Marchogaeth

Visit site
I cried through reading that, I didn't expect to but it's so moving and ultimately relatable... For all of us i think!
Thank you for sharing!:)

Spotsrock

Visit site
Lovely article

We let my mare go this autumn. I knew it was time and her vet agreed. The deed was hard. I was almost 7 months pregnant, poor hubs. Horse went peacefully down care of expert vet, I went down sobbing uncontrollably and ex loaner sobbed while hubs (who was also very very fond of mare) tried to thank vet, get me up, mop up loaner and worried about the pregnancy.

Once she'd gone she suddenly looked so old and sparse, as if she had simply been held together by her fight and will, she looked thinner, older and her coat went instantly dull. I knew I'd got it right and peace descended on me, I have only cried a couple of times since and despite the hole she left after 20 years, my pride in her and in having got the timing right and relief that she didn't suffer means I just look back on her with love not sorrow.

hairycob

Visit site
Are you ok?

P

Thanks, I am now. Tuesday had to rush my horse, who in the last 12 months has had atypical myopathy & strangles, to the vet on 3 legs. Infection from an abcess on his leg that had not responded to antbiotics had spread to the calcaneal bursa & options were surgery or pts. Thanking god that after much deliberation I did renew his insurance 2 weeks ago! But I did have a "am I saying yes to surgery for me or him" conversation with myself after talking to the vet. Thankfully progress has been good & we are optimistic that he will be coming home.

Tobiano

Visit site
Thank you for posting. This made me cry. Having just had to give the vet the OK to put down my sweet rising 4 YO last week, a hopeless case of grass sickness, I really hope I get the chance to make the decision based on old age for my darling Bilbo, and not for many years.

Tobiano

Visit site
Thanks, I am now. Tuesday had to rush my horse, who in the last 12 months has had atypical myopathy & strangles, to the vet on 3 legs. Infection from an abcess on his leg that had not responded to antbiotics had spread to the calcaneal bursa & options were surgery or pts. Thanking god that after much deliberation I did renew his insurance 2 weeks ago! But I did have a "am I saying yes to surgery for me or him" conversation with myself after talking to the vet. Thankfully progress has been good & we are optimistic that he will be coming home.

oh my goodness. Sending him love and wishes for a full recovery x x

PolarSkye

Visit site

Oh my goodness . . . crossing everything that your boy comes home safe and sound.

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
Thank you for posting. This made me cry. Having just had to give the vet the OK to put down my sweet rising 4 YO last week, a hopeless case of grass sickness, I really hope I get the chance to make the decision based on old age for my darling Bilbo, and not for many years.

I'm a muppet. I forget that this would be fresh for you. I should have been more thoughtful - I am sorry :(.

P

oldie48

Visit site
I had a month in NZ earlier in the year and leaving 2 horses and 2 dogs in the care of other people made me think very hard about what I wanted if there was a difficult call with the vet. One of the dogs and one of the horses is very old and i wrote a sort of living will for both, i also wrote down as best I could what I wanted for the other two if accident or illness struck and i couldn't be contacted. it was very difficult to do, but I did leave my wishes with the animals carers and respective vets before I left. It made me cry writing down the circumstances that I would want the oldies PTS but it was, in many ways, a sensible thing to do as i now have a much clearer idea of how I will deal with a situation, which I know isn't that far away.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Amazing article, I think it's the same for all of our pets. I have a nineteen year old dog, it's hard because the time is near but he is just holding his own and it's true I don't want to let him go before I have to and I don't want him to suffer and yes it's hard but when we get there I will do it because it is the right thing to do.

Hairy cob I have everything crossed for you!!!!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Thanks for sharing.

Hairy Cob, hope your boy makes a good recovery.

We had one of the old girls PTS a few weeks ago. She was 34 and we knew the time was right for her. Strangely enough we had been discussing the day before and the next morning she wouldn't eat breakfast, was weak and breathing wasn't right. Sad end but the right decision.