When it's time - honest article from a respected vet

Mariposa

Visit site
What a wonderful piece, although it's made me think about our old boy again and what the future holds for him.

A thought provoking and poignant piece, thank you for sharing.

BraidedTail

Visit site
"I don’t want to sound glib, or flippant, but it’ll be OK because your love for your horse will overcome your fear of loss. You’ll know. You’ll know when it’s time. You’ll know that as much as you’re thinking of you, and how bad you’re going to feel that it’s more important that you think of your good friend. It will be a moment of clarity, of great sadness – even despair – but ultimately, one of peace. And even though it will be a sad moment, and a terrible moment, it will be a moment that you’ll understand, because as much as you wish it could be otherwise, life does come to an end, and you know that. And because of that, the right time, and the right decision will come to you. I promise."

So true, and very poignant for me atm having had to decide for my old boy. He went on friday morning, and it was so hard to make that decision, but I am also so glad now that I could and did make that choice. It was the right one.

Thinking of those in the same shoes, and hoping for those with a different prognosis x

Lovely article; thank you for sharing op x

Clare85

Visit site
Thank you for sharing. In January we saw the 15th anniversary of the day we had to say goodbye to Oliver, my first true horsey love. I don't think I will ever get over it, I miss him daily and if I'm really honest with myself, I think I sold my youngster almost 10 years ago because of the pain of losing Oliver. But I know it was the right thing, the kindest thing to do for him. There will never be another like Oli and it has taken me 15 years to realise that that's ok - I don't need another like him, I can love another in the same way but differently - new boy arrived yesterday and I am so looking forward to the future. But still missing you Oli, never forgotten x

Bluedaisys

Visit site
Lovely article, having made the same choice for my best friend, my soul mate, my wonderful girl, 3 weeks ago. I'm absolutely heartbroken, although I was never ready to let her leave me I know it was time. The loss I feel is, as I'm sure a lot of you know overwhelming x

Doris68

Visit site
Thank you so much for sharing this. I said goodbye to my dear old mare nearly 7 weeks ago and she'd been with me for 25 years (she was 29). I knew that her time had come and the decision was totally the right one; although at the time it hurt like hell and still does. I agree that the loss is totally overwhelming and I wish I could say it's getting easier, but it isn't. All of us who have lost our beloved horses will understand. Kind thoughts to all of you.

Clannad48

Visit site
A thoughtful piece of writing - I think this ought to be a 'sticky' at the top of the page - it may help people who want to ask about euthanising an older/seriously ill horse the well meaning 'have you tried so and so' posts when all they really want is validation that they are doing the right thing.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've never had to make the decision and I am currently the proud owner of 3 veterans and know that with every day that passes, it's another day closer to having to do the hardest thing. And I am so scared of getting it wrong.

Thank you for posting the article. Brought tears to my eyes but also helped enormously.

Doris68

Visit site
A thoughtful piece of writing - I think this ought to be a 'sticky' at the top of the page - it may help people who want to ask about euthanising an older/seriously ill horse the well meaning 'have you tried so and so' posts when all they really want is validation that they are doing the right thing.

Such a good idea for this to be a "Sticky". How does that happen?

JillA

Visit site
My lovely old mare changed my attitude several years ago - she had Cushings in the pre pergolide days and after a nightmare of a winter she could not have been clearer. She wasn't distressed or showing signs of acute pain but she just refused to get to her feet, just clearly asking me to put an end to it. They don't have the anticipation and hang ups we have, and I try to tell people that when they have an old animal. I just think of putting out the lights.

Bertolie

Visit site
Thank you for sharing that, what a lovely article although I now have tears streaming down my face as I had to say goodbye to my beautiful boy 11 weeks ago today. I was 'lucky' in that there was no decision to be made...it had to be done, there were no other options. I had the vet to him on the Saturday and he was gone on the Monday. My greatest fear was not being able to make that decision at the right time for him and not me.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Had me in tears, just had to put my three year old collie to sleep as he was not responding to painkillers and it just wasn't going to get better. This summed up everything to me.

Jinnie

Visit site
Beautifully and sensitively written.The perfect advice for anyone facing the anguish of making the right decision at the right time. Thank you for sharing. Hugs to all who have or are now in this situation. I know how you feel.

OwnedbyJoe

endurancedownunder.wordpress.com
Beautifully written. I have told many people that "they will know" in my veterinary career. None of them believed me, all of them (bar one that I can think of) did know when it came to it.
I am watching out beloved 21 year old mare and my beloved 12 year old dog get older as we go into the Australian winter and I know the day is coming... Time to remember my own words, and this piece really helped.

ChestnutConvert

Visit site
Thank you for sharing that, I know I will have to face this a lot sooner then I planned when I bought my horse but he is right, I will know when the time is right, it's just that right now I don't want it to be but it has to be at some point. It's just facing up to the reality of losing my 'soul mate' that is hard but it will be fair on her at the time and that is what is most important.

Last edited:

Clannad48

Visit site
I had asked Admin to consider this article for a 'sticky' to which they have replied that unfortunately it could not. They have given various reasons which I understand and agree with. Perhaps we could just 'bump' it every so often to keep it on Page 1

Doris68

Visit site
May I be the first one to "Bump". Am very surprised that Admin consider this article inappropriate for a "Sticky"....I wonder why??
Keep bumping please!