When to call it a day ?

charlie76

Visit site
Long story!
My warmblood horse was not quite pushing from behind lin canter although not lame as such.
After a lot of work ups he was diagnosed with an annular ligament injury. They medicated it but he was still not right. He then had surgery to cut the ligaments in both hind legs. After rehab he was almost back into full work and then went lame again. Very lame.
They then diagnosed a tear to the manicor flexoria tendon in the right hind. He had surgery again to remove the tear. Again we started rehab and was just ready to start full work when he went lame again. This time there is a swelling in the inside.
I’ve rested him and he has not improved. I’m totally maxed out on insurance.
The surgeon who did the surgery has said to medicate the tendon again but I don’t know whether it’s worth even doing. My gut says that if he isn’t sound after it being medicated and two operations is he likely to be right again.
Any thoughts ?
I don’t know whether to just call it a day .

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My last competition horse did all 4 legs one after the other in various different ways, and then did the same one twice (SDFT/Manica which was operated on).
When the leg reinjured I had already decided not to pursue it again. I got her rehabbed to the point of field soundness and retired her. That was nearly 2 years ago now, and tbh she looks good enough to ride again, but I am not tempted. She has done enough for me, and she's very happy gadding about in the field now.
Rehabbing multiple times is soul destroying for the owner/rider, and the rest etc associated with injuries isn't a lot of fun for the horse. If your gut is saying something to you, listen to it - it's often correct. Sorry you've been through all that :(

TPO

Visit site
Really sorry, it sounds like you've both been through the mill.

My last horse went through two surgeries, box rest and constant rehabbing. Each time that he'd come back into work something would happen to set us back before letting someone else ride him broke him completely. I was able to keep him as happy and field sound ornament before other events lead me to make the decision (mum's horse was to be pts and it was decided for them to go together).

I was very sad to lose him, never mind two on the same day, but I can say I felt a relief after he was gone that I hadn't had with any other horse. With hindsight I can now say that it was a constant, exhaustive, soul destroying (and bank account emptying) struggle managing a horse like him. Again only with hindsight can I say that I wish I had made the decision sooner, more for my benefit in all honesty.

Based on my experiences I'm probably not the best person to ask as I would say call it a day (with the disclaimer that if he is field sound AND you can afford the time, money and headspace to deal with a horse that might still need lots of attention due to his issues then retirement might be an option but don't feel guilty if it's not)

Leandy

Visit site
I would absolutely call it a day as regards spending more money on treatment and rehab etc. It depends on the horse and your circumstances what that means. If I had my own land and could do it cheaply and it suited the horse I would turn away for a year and then see if the horse could come back to a useful life.

pippixox

Visit site
my friend had a horse with a similar list of issues. he was ultimately clumsy and unlucky. very long legged 17'2 warmblood. had numerous box rest stints. Stepped on himself in his stable and caused a bone chip. Operation and more box rest (only 7 and think this wasn’t the 4th rest). Still not fully sound. found OCD. Then went more lame on box rest, and was diagnosed with EMS, despite no grass. his quality of life was poor, although he coped well relatively well living in, it would not be a long term solution and again insurance and credit cards had been used. my friend wisely decided to PTS. yes she could have tried to manage the EMS and do some sort of grass free turn out as she had wood chip. but the likelihood of long term soundness was poor anyway and he could not be turned out like normal. it was very sad, only 7, and she new him from birth. but it was the best thing for him. and frankly there was also no point it spending any more money either

I'm sorry you are in this situation. but if they are noticeably lame so can't be happily turned out, they must be uncomfortable and the kindest option in my opinion is PTS, as well as the most sensible financially

Leandy

Visit site
If you've tried all that then yes, I would call it a day I'm afraid. If he is significantly lame he is clearly not comfortable. Try to take comfort from the fact that you have tried hard to sort it out but unfortunately it isn't in your control and you can't. I think it would be more heartbreaking for you to keep trying to bring him back into work and failing. It would be better to move on and put your money and effort into something more rewarding. We do it for fun after all.

Reactions: TPO

Bernster

Visit site
For different reasons I ended up calling it a day when my horse went down with a 3rd issues in 2/3 years. As MP says, the constant worry, rehab, money etc gets too much. I just felt like my horse was not able to maintain the work so I ended up semi retiring to light work.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would call it a day .
I am sorry it’s heartbreaking because there’s an emotional toll to be paid for all the rehab the hope keeps you going through hours of boring stuff and but it’s always at the back of your mind your wasting your time .
Horses are crap sometimes have a hug from me .