When to pay?

be positive

Visit site
Either cash when collected or bank transfer as late as you can before collection or possibly while you are there but that is not always an option, you need to agree the price maybe leave a deposit, get it vetted then arrange to collect as soon as you can with the money being exchanged before you take control of the pony, ie before you load it or the transporter does, don't forget to take out insurance before you pay, get a receipt and the passport.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've always paid on the day of collection :)

Mine are cheap purchases and I don't vet them... turned up to view, paid and drove away with horse on the box :D

The few I've sold have been vetted, and then paid for at collection same/next day. I'd expect that kind of timescale though, if there was any kind of delay with picking it up then I would expect to hand over the cash as soon as I had decided to buy the horse I think, accepting that is a risk because you aren't in control...

Fiona

Visit site
Last two ponies....

1. a three hour journey away - offered deposit the day he passed the vet but this was declined, paid in full in euros cash when he was collected the following day.
2. from a riding school owner. I already had the pony on site, so when she passed vet I offered to bring round cash. Vendor said they preferred bank transfer, so this was done on the following day.

Fiona

Merri

Visit site
Last two ponies....

1. a three hour journey away - offered deposit the day he passed the vet but this was declined, paid in full in euros cash when he was collected the following day.

Fiona

The one we are looking at is 2.5 hours away.
It makes me nervous!!!

Amye

Visit site
When I bought my boy.... Vetted on the Monday. Seller dropped him off at my yard on the Thursday and then I handed over the cash. So paid on collection basically :)

ShowJumperL95

Visit site
When I bought my boy the lady was on holiday so the yard staff were selling it for her I did a bank transfer and got a receipt to prove I had paid and she received the money before picking up him up the next day.

HeyMich

Visit site
Yep, envelope with cash when I went to pick her up. Make sure you get a receipt though (even hand written with a signature), even for a cash sale!

Or bank transfer while you're there, and show the seller the transaction on the screen as you complete it (if wifi is good enough).

Good luck!

vmac66

Visit site
First horse was delivered and I paid cash on delivery. Second horse Went to view with trailer and cash although was buying from someone I knew.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Never paid a deposit. Always paid by bankers draft the day after the horse passed the vetting upon collection with a written receipt.

Enfys

Visit site
If I don't take the trailer when I view the horse I will pay a deposit just to hold, if I am buying unseen I will transfer a deposit then transfer the remainder when the horse arrives.

I pay in cash when the horse is on my trailer, not before, did that once, the ****** wouldn't load.
I took my money back and went home without it.

JDH01

Visit site
With my last purchase, Drove 4 hrs to try on the Thursday, left a cash £100 deposit with receipt, then collected Sat 4hrs there and 6 hrs back with horse and trailer! Husband BAC'd payment on the Sat