When you bought your horse...........

wyrdsister

Visit site
Ooh, some of these stories are interesting! One of my nags I bought because I felt safe around her (just after I'd completely lost my nerve) - she was 2 and a mad decision, given the circumstances, but it was one of the best decisions I ever made. My latest girly I bought because she ran over to me wearing a 'save me!' expression when she was being chased around for her 'for sale' photos. I just 'clicked' with her instantly. She's a huge, spotty, and until I got her unhandled youngster - nothing I was looking for, but a fab project. I tend to find there's a click factor for me. Although the horse I have on loan I got on with well before, but didn't 'click' with until over a year into our relationship.

mandyroberts

Visit site
I wanted a 'pretty' horse - my mid life crises. Both Versace and Rex (and you know the story) gave me that 'I must have that horse' feeling. Neither were perfect when I tried them - and there were others who were 'better' if you assessed with no emotion. I think you just 'know' they are 'the one'.

dressagelove

Visit site
he had just been imported onto the yard I worked on, and he looked so dejected and sad. He didnt even look up when we peered over the door to see the new arrival. His little face just made me melt, so I bought him! He was very well put together and quiet as well, but very talented :)

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Other than the obvious movement confo etc, I need to feel a spark when I meet, handle AND sit on a horse. If its not there at those three points then its not for me :)

I also look for a challenge when i take on a horse, I like having something that needs work or needs brought on :) My next on that I buy for myself will be a youngster so i can back and bring on for competition all by myself and I cant wait :)

I that circumstance Ill be looking more at breeding and what parents and siblings have done than obviously what the youngster has done.

For E it was her movement and conformation, didnt ride her but just got a great vibe from her :)

With K I was looking more for a horse for my mother, It took me an hour to catch the little monster but finally got him, Then I walked him a mile back to the yard on the road in a headcollar. Popped tack on him, he hadnt been ridden in years, he wqas a babysitter for the studs foals and younsters, got on walk trot and cantered, popped a small jump.

Then popped mum on walked around asked for trot, trotted then she lost stirrups then panicked and lost reins and he came to a complete halt. She picked everything back up and continued but he was already bought in my head.

Best 1500 quid Ive ever spent. Miss him but he may be coming home soon :D

Last edited by a moderator:

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The current Appy was advertised as registered Appaloosa, but solif coloured, which put me off a bit as the old Appy was a loud leopard spot, but decided to have a look anyway. She was advertised as not a novice ride and forward going, which I liked the sound of. When the girl selling her rode her, the mare looked nothing special at all, an araby chestnut mare, however when I got on her she 'came up' under me and I knew in the first 5 seconds that I would be taking her home :)
Sisters big mare sealed the deal when she followed me across the school, loose and went and 'chatted' to sister, we couldn't leave her then :)

They have both turned out to be the ideal horses for each of us :D

lme

Visit site
My old girl - bought her because she was stunningly beautiful. An unbacked 4yo TB x chestnut mare wasn't at all what I had intended to buy as an adult who hadn't ridden for over 5 years (esp as I had nowhere organised to keep her) but, 27 years later, she's still with me.

Spotty pony - bought her because she was within my (stupidly small) budget for my childrens first pony / seemed quiet to ride / her owner was prepared to sell her to us. Turned out to be a pocket rocket (more 2nd / 3rd pony than 1st) but the kindest pony ever. She is my 13yo's pony of a lifetime.

The NF - bought her (despite her being only 6) because she was cheap / local and didn't put a hoof wrong when we tried her. Turned out to be bossy & opinionated with other horses but very much a people person. My 9yo absolutely loves her because she looks after her & will jump anything she points her at. Even if her reins are like washing lines & it is a 3ft spread.

TicTac

Visit site
1st horse....boyfriend bought him for me as a token of his lurve, how could I refuse? (although he was and is a very lovely horse). Boyfriend now husband.

2nd horse. Beer goggles. Well, no, in fact it was cider....auction...arm went up...oops.

3rd horse. Hmm. Menopausal mistake, soppy sympathy over super skinny sad filly. In retrospect not a mistake at all, she's turning into the most beautiful horse I've ever had the pleasure to own.

This made me smile.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I just enjoyed riding him. He was easy, laid back but still willing and I had great fun on both viewings. For me that was the main thing, I really enjoyed him. Luckily I was right, he's an absolute legend of a horse, just what I needed.

Snowysadude

Visit site
I didn't plan on buying my current one. I saw him over the stable door when I went to help my instructor/friend with her kids whilst she had a lesson with her trainer. I fell in love with him before I had even touched him or known he was for sale. I am usually much more subjective but hey! I was looking for a 15-16hh Cobby/Irish type of horse as a confidence giver (after lots of nasty incidents and a broken back) and came home with a 17hh Warmblood. Its funny as when I took him to university with me another lady offered to buy him as soon as she saw him (she was also looking at the time). She said its something about the way he looks at you! Lucky horse, he would have been turned to glue a long time ago if he didn't have that "look" I'm sure :p.

Pixxie

Visit site
My new girl I almost didn't go to see didn't think her movement was particularly special, she didn't MAKE me watch if you see what I mean but for a 5yr old was so balanced and so rhythmical and you could see even in the video how soft she was in the mouth that i thought I'd be an idiot not to look. So i did and I sat on her and just wanted to play forever, helped that she's drop dead gorgeous but her movement isn't as flashy (yet) as i wanted but i sat on her felt the potential and well just fell in love, just knew somewhere inside that she was the one who needed to come home with me gushy I know but I'm a firm believer in when you feel it, you know

Shooting Star

Visit site
Peewee - the canter, only took a few strides and despite the fact I was looking for a show jumper even if I'd been told at that point that she couldn't jump an inch I'd have brought her! (Actually it wasn't until after I'd ridden her that they told me that they'd *just* seen her weave but I was sold by then!)

New boy - saw a photo of a charasmatic chap, turned up to see what looked like a fairly average TB x standing in the stable, then saw him trot (OMG) , then felt the trot - SOLD!! (although those that have ridden him all comment on his canter but I don't think it's anywhere near as lush as P's was)

maree t

Visit site
I bought my 2nd pny after being taken to see him by my instructor who knew she could con me !! he was a chronic sweet itch case who was covered in scabs and open sores but he was a feisty boy. I had him for 20 years before he was taken too young, still miss him.
My sons second pony we bought as an unbacked barely handled 3 year old new forest pony. He wraped himself around my 10 year old and just held hi close. He was great until my son tried to move away so we went back the following day and bought him. He is the most incredible pony I will ever know. He has just turned 7 and has been put onto the area showjumping team to jump next week at 85 cm. He is only 13hh but his heart is that of a 17hh. He is the best 500 quid I ever spent. My 15 year old doesnt want to move off him and onto horses. He steals anything left in with him,he has been to area at mounted games and does a lovely dressage test. We will never part with him, just got to find a jockey for him next year that can learn to trust him.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
He looked bedraggled and uncared for. He was the third I'd seen and coloured. That swung it, really, although the week's trial was fabulous!

jaffa2311

Visit site
Mine was the cheeky temperament.

I was 17 and my veteran, slow pony had sadly died and I was looking for something to be able to low level compete after years of taking it easy and at the pace of my old, rescued,arthritic boy.

I went to view with my non horsey mother and I, in hindsight I should have had someone experienced with me!

Owner had her for four weeks before selling her as she was too much of a handful.

The mare pushed her novice owners out the way and towed them to some food!

She then saw we were trying her out in the field and switched from looking a bit lazy to highly alert jogging!

When trying her out, she was extremely forward going and cantered off without my command however her canter was very balanced and I felt very safe. I took her for a short hack in an open space and even past a windmill and over a bridge and she was perfect.

She was exactly what they told me she was. The horse was not malicious and her faults were not hidden away, she clearly displayed the character that defines her and I loved it! When I rode her, she had an enthusiasm and eagerness to want to work that I was not used to and absolutely loved.

4 years on and she has the exact same temperament, same cheekiness and it is her biggest downfall but also what makes me love her so much!

An example would be that we do not ever do lap of honours at competitions as she sees this as a chance to show the world her galloping and endurance abilities by taking off and not stopping!

I may also add that I didn't really want to go. The advert I saw had no pictures and was a brief description, the owner sent me some pictures of her eating a feed in a field and I thought she looked like a fat, slow lump but she really wanted me to come and see her, so I did. The pictures were absolutely no reflection on her and the owners had no idea what a talented little mare they had. She has at least doubled her value since I've had her.

Last edited:

ELFSBELLS

Visit site
When I bought my horse, I was on the rebound, ashamed to say, not in the right frame of mind, when I look back now, I had'nt long lost my horse of a lifetime to colic, I did'nt like his eyes, but something clicked, he has put me through it with his napping and his defiant ways, but that something that clicked on that day I tried him was right, love him to bits and would'nt be without him and his quirks !

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
I lost my last 'perfect horse' five years ago after having him for fifteen years. I never thought it was possible to find another horse that would come remotely close to him. I spent five years grieving for Gus and was resigned to the fact that he was a one off.
I was determined that having the time, resources and money to spend on somehow finding my next best forever horse that I would not compromise on anything and would take as much time as possible to try and find 'the one'. I looked at so many ads, many of which seemed to fit the bill but somehow didn't seem quite right. Then I came across on a random website that had a less than appealing description and photos that would have had most people running in the opposite direction.
For some reason which I still can't explain I was drawn to the ad. I went to view my boy which was the first horse I went to see. I saw his lovely face over the stable door and had the most strange feeling. I ignored it and got on him for a test ride which was less than ideal and to be honest I was thinking at the time, this isn't right as apart from anything I was terrified and had no end end of trouble just trying to stay on.
It wasn't until I got off him and took him back to his stable and he nestled his head in my arm looking for a cuddle that I was hooked. My OH saw the look on my face and without even asking me offered to buy him then and there.
Call it a fluke or whatever, but my boy is the most amazing horse I've ever met or owned. He certainly didn't tick many of my must have boxes based on his advert, however he has turned out to be everything and more many, many times over.
My OH (who is not the most horsey of people) has also fallen in love big time with our Big Bob and loves telling all and sundry about the big handsome lad that is now part of our family (which is so unlike him. He is obviously entranced as much as I am, much to mine and everyone else's surprise).

By the way, happy 5th birthday Bob for yesterday. My lovely lad has a guaranteed very spoilt home with us for life ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Brigadoon

Visit site
I had lost my very special boy in very tragic circumstances. My veteran first pony needed someone but I felt it was too early to look for something after only 2 weeks. My two dear friends thought differently and lined up a load of horses for me to see.
She was the first one I saw and we did click on first looking at each other. I cannot put my finger on what it was it was a heart stopping moment. I felt I knew what she would be like to ride..and I was right. She felt amazing and I even jumped her over some pretty big fences.Which was not really my bag. I paid a deposit there and then. Until she was vetted and came home I visited her every night after work.She settled straight away with my old pony. She is 18 now and tho not straightforward is the most wonderful horse ever for me. She is still as powerful and athletic as she was many years ago. But the bond we have is way more than riding. I can watch her for hours. I just really really like spending time with her. I still feel excited to see her and even in the freezing winter at 5am feel honoured to be her Mum and mucking out her clarty bed. Oohhh I just love my special big girl.

Ladydragon

Visit site
what was it about that particular horse that made you realise that it was the one for you.

I wasn't even looking... Hadn't ridden or had opportunity to have anything to do with horses for 25+ years... Visited a livery yard for a friend moving into the area and got spotted by a young filly that decided she was going to step away from her mum and follow me around like a well trained dog... That was me completely done for and wondering how to tell Mr Dragon when I got home that I'd bought a horse... :eek: :eek: I desperately needed a project though and she literally changed mine and my family's lives... She turned out to be a short term visitor as she got a gut torsion at 16mths and that was that... I unknowingly needed her and she did what was necessary before moving on...

#2, I was looking... For a plod suited to a *very* rusty returner... Found a 4yr old, emaciated TB in pretty awful conditions and couldn't leave him... He needed someone so he came home...:eek: An absolute sweetheart who didn't put a foot wrong he wasn't suitable as a long term riding partner with my confidence still hovering somewhere between low and downright non existent but he blossomed, mellowed and generally had time to grow up and learn a few things... He needed me for a time and it broke my heart to do it but he's recently gone to a totally besotted new owner and is spoiled rotten living in a lovely coastal area...

#3 I wasn't looking (have a lovely mature loan mare)... Took a friend to visit a stud and a young QH, known for being very aloof with visitors decided I was worth investigating... Stuck to me like glue and left the herd to call from the gate as I walked away - cue my undoing again... :eek: He's been a doddle to handle since arriving and has just started being backed (not by me :D) and, all going well, he'll be a mother/son share - although I might need a step ladder and parachute if he doesn't stop growing... :)

applecart14

Visit site
Kind eye every time. If I'd driven 100 miles to see a horse and it didn't have a genuine and kind eye I'd turn around without even riding it. Temperment is every thing to me.

I saw my horse and immediately knew I liked him, he'd just come over from Holland that day so couldn't ride him till the weekend so went back, tried him, went the next day and rode him and then had him vetted and took him home exactly a week after I clapped eyes on him. Don't regret it at all, he's my boy and I love him to bits even though he can be a pillock at times with his shying!

Day after I'd bought him hacked out for an hour and a half on my own, following day took him to a show to see his reaction, rode across a field on my own cantering, and popped a couple of little logs, and went through the water. Following week took him to our first show, never jumped a filler on him, went clear in the clear round, decided to go into the derby despite boyfriends horror, did bank, dyke and wall, went clear over 19 fences and came 5th, must have been 30 odd in it.

Hate people that mess with a new horse for months and say 'cant do this, can't do that, not ready yet'. For God's sake just get on with it and stop messing about I say! Starting as you mean to go on is the best thing to do imho. You will have plenty of time to be fearful when your new horse decides to test you out. At least when you have a new horse you can't be scared as you don't know what they are capable of. :)

Last edited:

Enfys

Visit site
I buy broodmares, and I breed for colour, so colour (or the ability to produce colour) is the first thing I look at, then a horse has to be registered and I prefer certain bloodlines (there is a particular stallion that I avoid altogether) then conformation and temperament, if the last two aren't right I start looking again.

I like all my mares but actually just liking them isn't enough to make me buy them.

There have been a few pity buys I have to admit that, and once I did just click with a fat grey pony that a friend had been to see and announced that she had found my next horse for me ... she had indeed, I wasn't even looking! Quirky git he was, we were well matched.

Kiristamm

Visit site
All of my horses had been somebody's cast offs. I took them and fixed them, sometimes returned them and sometimes kept them. But for my most recent girl I was going to actually buy what I wanted. I spent about 2 months just looking on the internet and tack shops before I found anything to suit all of my crazy demands (I was prepared to pay a lot as for once I would choose my horse!) I looked at a couple and they were really disappointing.

I had found one ad which I kept coming back to. There was one picture in the ad which just kept catching my eye:

picture.php

I decided to go and see her (4hr drive! Mad but I thought, I have got to at least look!) I decided it was her before I had even walked all the way down to her stable, I could just tell by the way she stood over the door. The rest of the viewing just got better.

She is the first horse that I have gone out and bought and my gut was right! She is a madam, but absolutely delicious, and her old owner was so truthful and honest, I am still in contact with her.

Daytona

Visit site
For me it was my lads temperament I have never come across such a friendly horse, he wants you to cuddle his head all the time and follows you like a little lost puppy, he is such a big sap. It was love at first sight for me.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The current Appy was advertised as registered Appaloosa, but solif coloured, which put me off a bit as the old Appy was a loud leopard spot, but decided to have a look anyway. She was advertised as not a novice ride and forward going, which I liked the sound of. When the girl selling her rode her, the mare looked nothing special at all, an araby chestnut mare, however when I got on her she 'came up' under me and I knew in the first 5 seconds that I would be taking her home :)
Sisters big mare sealed the deal when she followed me across the school, loose and went and 'chatted' to sister, we couldn't leave her then :)

They have both turned out to be the ideal horses for each of us :D

I tried the spotty Appy without sis as she was working. We were looking to 'replace' the completely bombproof gelding who had been our first horse. The mare didn't put a foot wrong, completely ignoring horses grazing in neighbouring fields and had one of the most comfortable canters I'd ever sat on. That was the last time in 25 yrs that she was an easy ride!
Later we bought a Clydie by word of mouth. The first time we went to see her the owner was unavailable but we were shown her in the stable. The 2nd time we went to view her, she called to us as we crossed the stable yard. That sealed the deal before either of us had sat on her. The fact that when the novice OH lost his stirrups and she stopped until he sorted himself out, just confirmed it.

With every horse sis and I have ever bought, at least one of us has 'clicked' on first viewing. Although with the first horse, it was more the relief after trying a particularly awkward gelding earlier that day. Mum would never have let us have him, even if we'd wanted to!

Last edited:

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Well I knew I wanted a young traditional mare, I was actually after a piebald but went to see Nell, I was not sure at first, but went back for a second viewing, what sold her for me was her willing nature above all.
He went to load her on the box, he was not sure how she would be but she just went with him, no real questions, she is a brave and willing filly and that really appealed. I am not one for big blazes on faces either but now I like her big blaze!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont care how a horse is bred, the biggest thing I go for is temperament. They have to be kind, willing types. The only horse I've had who was very well bred for competing, was the one horse who threw the towel in and hated competing! My current horse looked dreadful when I went to see him (he was full of worms for a start so very thin and scruffy) and wasnt at all bred to compete yet he seemed really sweet and keen to please, they're the types who will try their heart out for you competing which is what I want (and he turned out fantastic).

mirage

Visit site
This made me think and wonder if I'd just know the right pony for us.When we bought knobberpony,I did,but since then we have been looking for another pony for my youngest.We've been looking for 10 months with no joy,there was always something not quite right for us.

We went to see a little mare today,and when I saw the ad,I thought she might be the one for us,but when I rang up,she had already been sold,however the seller said she'd ring me back if it fell through.It did and we went to see her today,she was the 20th pony we have been to see,but as soon as I saw little J riding her,I knew she was right for us.Even my non horsey husband agreed.We were there with her for 2 hours and nothing she did made us doubt she was the right one.She very much reminded us both of knobber pony,but withour the knobberish tendencies.

Tank_08

Visit site
With my current boy, he had a nice personality and was kind and gentle. When we rode him he was nohting special, needed alot of work on the flat but then i went into a corn field for a canter... WOW! ok so I couldn't reall stop, and had a few difficulties steering but i felt safe, which was the most important thing for me and mum. I could have fun, go eventing on a pony who could be very naughty at times, but i was always safe.

Highlands

Visit site
Blown away by the look of him on a photo. Then at he RHS mentioned I to a friend who introduced me to his breeder. Went and saw pony at a show, then visited and brought. He is a great character, very naughty but such a fab boy.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
This made me think and wonder if I'd just know the right pony for us.When we bought knobberpony,I did,but since then we have been looking for another pony for my youngest.We've been looking for 10 months with no joy,there was always something not quite right for us.

We went to see a little mare today,and when I saw the ad,I thought she might be the one for us,but when I rang up,she had already been sold,however the seller said she'd ring me back if it fell through.It did and we went to see her today,she was the 20th pony we have been to see,but as soon as I saw little J riding her,I knew she was right for us.Even my non horsey husband agreed.We were there with her for 2 hours and nothing she did made us doubt she was the right one.She very much reminded us both of knobber pony,but withour the knobberish tendencies.

My current horse was advertised and sold 9 months before I bought her when the then buyer decided to sell.

As the saying goes 'What's for you, won't pass you by'.