Where and how does your dog sleep at night?

npage123

Visit site
All the cats and dogs we've ever had, have had free access to the bed. Since living here in the UK, I've sadly lost a few pets.
Firstly lost a gorgeous, superbly trained Staffie (at 16 years old, he had a massive stroke one evening and no question about it, immediately had to be PTS). He would only jump onto the bed once he was told he's allowed to. He did sleep on the bed and loved rolling about on the duvet once he was allowed to get on.
About 2 years after loosing him, we got 2 cats, a Silverpoint Persian and a Chinchilla. They were playing on the bed as well as the rest of the house, and knew when it was time to go to bed and to behave.
The Silverpoint mostly chose the windowsill or the cat tree in the bedroom to sleep on, but occasionally wanted one corner of the bed with the duvet pulled out the way. When her cancer got inoperable and her kidney function very poor, I made a special effort to cuddle and treat her every day (as much as she tolerated) and I've spent the most time ever in her life keeping her groomed nicely.
Shortly after we had to have the Silverpoint PTS, the Chinchilla also developed a rare form of cancer and her kidney function suddenly deteriorated too (to the point where she had only half a kidney working properly). Out of all the cats I've ever had (and have now), she was the one who liked sleeping very close to me the most of all. If I wasn't at home, she'd sleep on my pillow, if I was sitting somewhere, she'd sleep in my arms, and if I was laying down or sleeping, she'd sleep on my chest.
We got our current Staffie when the Persian cats were around 5 years old, and he is now 13 but unfortunately already riddled with cancer and bad arthritis behind. The poor guy feels the cold very easily so he loves nothing more than to sleep under the duvet in our bed with only his nose poking out. It won't take him long to fall into a deep sleep when his under the duvet, and he'll snore nearly as loud as my husband. When we're at work, he'll sleep on his own bed in the living room, but as we usually turn the heating down, I put a coat on for him to keep him warm, just until we're back from work. Due to the fact that I think he'll be the next of our pets to 'go', I try and keep him as happy as possible and certainly don't mind him sleeping right next to me or in my arms.
Our Shih Tzu is now about 6 years old, and she's usually the Staffie's little shadow. She always follows him wherever he wants to go. But due to her thick coat, she won't tolerate being under the duvet at all. She'll occasionally come and lie stretched out so we are lying back to back, but soon gets too hot and will then move away.
Our 2 new cats do like to jump up onto the bed and say hello, but never stay all night. The Ragdoll X British Shorthair absolutely loves our Staffie. When he starts licking his paws, she'll come running from any room in the house and plant herself in between his licking tongue and his paws. There's nothing she likes more than to be groomed by him and to sleep next to him. For short bits, she'll choose to lie next to me, but only if she wants a bit of attention. As soon as her tail starts wriggling, I know she wants me to stop stroking her.
Our younger kitty (Maine Coone X Siberian Forest) usually prefers to sleep where she can find a cold spot, e.g. in the bathroom sink or tiles on the bathroom windowsill, the kitchen windowsill or on the tiled kitchen floor (we haven't got underfloor heating). However she would every now and then come to me, make me feel very special by rubbing her nose onto mine, then flop down next to me with her face right next to mine, asking for cuddles, which she'll get whenever she wants. As she's still young (10months) it doesn't take her long to go for a mad dash out the bedroom, usually with the other cat in tow, and then they start a chasing game.

Sorry the post became this long, plus I'm talking about dogs and cats...!

Last edited:

tankgirl1

Visit site
My staffie sleeps in bed with me. Either under the covers at my feet, or under the covers with her head on my neck as the little spoon to my big spoon! I wouldn't have it any other way. One you have fallen asleep with a super warm snorty little staffie next to you there is no going back lol!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Ours never go upstairs, they have their own room adjoining the kitchen and sleep on the bed that my husband made for them. The only time they sleep with us is when we go fell walking and we all sleep together in the tent.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Ours are not allowed upstairs. They are big Rottweilers, they share a double crate right under my bedroom, if they need anything during the night, they let me know but that is a very rare occurrence.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my collie cross sleeps on the dogs sofa and my terrier is in the same room in his crate. my bedroom is a no go area for dogs since i lost my lurcher, she was allowed upstairs as she was very sensitive and liked to be close to me all of the time. she didnt sleep on the bed though as she had her own bed....mine only get up when i come downstairs ...

Clodagh

Visit site
Puppy has now decided 6am is getting up time, as she had an upset tum I was responding to her sohouting in the night, somethnig I don't normally do. At least with the clocks changing that will become 7am next weekend!

twiggy2

Visit site
That is so funny - would it be the lurcher, by any chance!?

Why of course. My other half used to take the pee with me covering her up, he soon changed his mind when he saw what a mess she gets herself into if she is unable to get under the duvet because it is not placed just right on the sofa, if she is cold in the mornings she now comes and wakes him up because he is such a soft touch and will get out of bed to sort things out for her.

Leo Walker

Visit site
One sleeps at the foot of the bed, burrowed under the duvet like a giant slug, the other one sleeps with me against my back at the top of the bed. Usually the bottom of the bed one will get up in the night and go to the crate or basket in the other room, them come back to bed in the early hours. Thats the reason he goes at the bottom of the bed. Hes a fidget!

My OH works nights so during the day, this process continues. I swear they sleep 20 hours out of 24!

Leo Walker

Visit site
5 in kennels, 2 on the sofa, one of the ones on thw sofa has an electric blanket (given to her by a customer) and a duvet-she is covered up and put to bed at bed time

I bought my OH a heated throw for christmas so on his nights off we dont have the heating on all night. It caused mayhem for about a month as all the pets jostled for the prime seat under the throw. They are lazy blighters at the best of times, but the carry on with the throw was absolutely crazy!

LaurenBay

Visit site
Ralph the Beagle sleeps in the upstairs hallway. He did cry the first night to come in, but we refused to let him in and he gave up. Sometimes he will go off into G's room and sleep in G's den (a little hidey hole under his bunk bed, filled with duvets, pillows and throws) We don't mind so much as Ralph doesn't disturb G and G's bed is too high for Ralph to get on. G is also really happy to wake up and find Ralph sleeping so we have left him to it. He comes in our room of a night if we are watching a bit of TV before bed, but he knows when we say out, we mean out and he will take himself off to wherever he fancies. He will sleep in til we get him up :D

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
All in our room. One on a huge dog bed, one who is supposed to be on another huge dog bed but recently had a bit of a health scare and has therefore somehow gotten away with sneaking onto the bed every night since, and one in a crate because otherwise he is liable to wake up at the crack of dawn, ping up on the bed and drop a nylabone on my face. :oops:

{97702}

Visit site
All in our room. One on a huge dog bed, one who is supposed to be on another huge dog bed but recently had a bit of a health scare and has therefore somehow gotten away with sneaking onto the bed every night since, and one in a crate because otherwise he is liable to wake up at the crack of dawn, ping up on the bed and drop a nylabone on my face. :oops:

Well I think I can guess which is which.... :D

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Creatures generally stay on their nice bed in the lounge overnight, except for my frequent de-camps to the spare room when I can’t sleep at 4am. I then have both of them up against my back. Cuddles are common if the OH goes to work early, they race up before he gets out of the door. Zak has to put his nose on my collar bone.

islander

Visit site
Present dogs, pug sleeps in the kitchen in front of the range (he wasn`t reliably clean at night for ages, though is now and was far too lively if allowed on the bed), lab sleeps in her bed at the side of ours. When OH is away, pug is a bed pug with me, I don`t mind the snoring. I go to bed early and get up early too which seems to suit both dogs. Previous dogs have usually been in the kitchen or in beds by ours, depending on their ability to settle.

Clodagh

Visit site
Creatures generally stay on their nice bed in the lounge overnight, except for my frequent de-camps to the spare room when I can’t sleep at 4am. I then have both of them up against my back. Cuddles are common if the OH goes to work early, they race up before he gets out of the door. Zak has to put his nose on my collar bone.

When I get up to do the pup I let Tawny out of son's room, she belts into bed with OH and they both grab another hours kip!

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
All our dogs used to sleep dotted about our bedroom, although not on the bed. But in the last couple of years of his life our gorgeous , grumpy, adored and slightly demented old JRT took to sleeping under the duvet at our feet - and every feffin night for 2 years he snapped and growled and nipped our feet if we so much as moved a muscle during the night! Looking back I cannot believe how long we indulge the little terrorist for, but in our defense we did feel his demise was imminent, but transpired the imminent was rather longer than we first thought. :rolleyes:

We only have one labrador and a little pattie now - labrador sleeps in the kitchen in her crate but not with the crate door shut, so she occasionally stretches out on her own personal leather sofa that was bought specifically for her (can you see a trend here with spoiled mutts???) little pattie sleeps in the utility come tack room on a chair underneath one of my saddles with a big wool exercise rug draped over her chair to give her a warm and safe 'cave' to sleep in - she loves her pit. We dont let them sleep together because the tiny little pattie bullies the lumbering great lab out of her crate or off her sofa and poor lab ends up cold on the stone floor!

{97702}

Visit site
MrsJingle that really reminds me of last night - Flick (aged 12, oldest of the pack, with me for 10 years, spoilt greyhound) sleeps on my bed. She is now incredibly active in her sleep, wuffing and twitching and sometimes getting-up-and-doing-three-circles-before-she-settles back to sleep again. Amy (aged 11, second oldest, with me for 9 years, spoilt lurcher!) also sleeps on my bed, and growls/snaps/prevaractes at any movement Flick makes).............

I want to ban both of them from my bed, but I'm too soft to do so because they are old :D

Dowjones

Visit site
Ours sleep downstairs in crates, the lurcher sleeps on his own bed. I like my peace and appreciate my sleep in the bedroom. Also have bad allergies so keep the dogs away from bedrooms altogether.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
The greyhound has a crate in the kitchen, door open but he never shifts except to get a drink of water. GSD has a crate in the porch, door shut, but the connecting door to the kitchen is open. If the GSD was an only dog she would have the run of the area now but she pesters the greyhound who does not like sharing his bed, he has only recently begun to stay in the lounge when the GSD is settled in there but NO SHARING of mat or blanket thank you.

When it was two greyhounds he still would not stay in the same room if he could get away. He was also extremely claustrophobic when he came here. If nothing else having a very sociable GSD puppy has taught him that a crate is a safe haven away from her.

Moobli

Visit site
Three GSDs and one retired sheepdog live in the house and can choose where they want to sleep. Invariably the GSDs are on various dog beds around my bedroom floor (although the pup does like to get up on and off my bed in the night) and the collie sleeps in the living room by the stove. The working sheepdogs live outside in kennels/runs and so sleep outside.

Clodagh

Visit site
Three GSDs and one retired sheepdog live in the house and can choose where they want to sleep. Invariably the GSDs are on various dog beds around my bedroom floor (although the pup does like to get up on and off my bed in the night) and the collie sleeps in the living room by the stove. The working sheepdogs live outside in kennels/runs and so sleep outside.
Hello! I have been thinking of you, and assuming you were lambing. How is pup doing?

TGM

Visit site
Our dogs have always slept downstairs in the kitchen. Current whippet has the choice of an open crate or a dog bed in there. Husband gets up at 5.30am to go to work, and lets her upstairs where she gets under the duvet with me and goes back to sleep for an hour or so until I get up. I wouldn't want her in the bed all night though, as she takes up a lot of room. Plus I want her to sleep independently as it is easier for other people to have her if we go away. I know several people who have problems getting dog sitters/dog boarders because their dogs will only settle at night if in bed with someone!