Where to buy cheap horses..

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm looking to buy a cheap horse (under 1.5k) and wondered if there are any places I'm missing in my search...so far I've been on
Preloved, pets4homes, adhorse, the dreaded DD, Facebook etc.
I'm looking for a 16.2-17hh happy hacker type that will jump and do the odd fun ride. Needs to be chunky type, hack alone and live out.
I've seen a fair few and keep being pipped to the post, so to speak.
The other option I have is to buy an unbroken 3/4 year old (I have alot of help with such a project so this wouldn't be a big problem) but again, I'm not sure where to look. So many dodgy dealers and sellers, it's a minefield.
A friend suggested buying a youngster from an auction but I never seem to hear good things.
Willing to have a 2 stage vetting done.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have had lovely horses from Preloved and DD that would fall within your budget, or not much above but can't really suggest anywhere else. At least your preferred height is not the size that most people want (which is probably why I picked mine up so cheaply, too). Have you considered putting a wanted ad up?

ETA, I do know people who have done well with horses bought cheaply at auction both York, which is a warranted sale and a local unwarranted sale which doesn't have a good rep. You do need to know what you are looking at though, or be able to take someone with you who does.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Tbh a dodgy dealer may be a good option - if looking for a project - go with eyes wide open and get a vetting but I once bought a lovely welsh d from a dodgy guy - who told me the horse didn’t do anything... and not to put my legs in the correct position but up round his shoulders - I immediately therefore did the exact opposite to what he suggested and the horse gave a huge buck- not unseating or unexpected tbh... I rode him properly for 20 mins and basically his only issue as far as I could see was he’d never been backed properly - I pulled a couple of faces and the guy squirmed and I offered him 600 quid - best 600 quid I’ve ever spent - I sold him working at novice/ elem a couple of years later for over 5k... but he saw me over a time when I was a bit short of cash and he was eventually safe as houses ... dodgy dealers are only really an issue if you don’t realise they are dodgy... and if it doesn’t feel right walk away but it does depend on your confidence and ability to turn a horse around

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Have you considered a Suffolk? Have a look at The Suffolk Saga group on Facebook.

Gorgeous 10 year old being sold from the field for just £1600 because he has been out of work when his owner was injured (different horse) and can no longer afford to keep him.

Ride and drive but 17.2hh so two buyers have fallen through because he's 'too big' for livery yards.

I have a 17hh Suffolk and I'd have no doubt taking another from the field. Their temperament is just exceptional. I'm sure they'd consider a trial. He's in West Wales.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Cheap ….. Broken...……. or Sound ……. - you can only have two of the three - if you think you have all three you are being lied to.

Work out which is important to you broken or sound and go from there.

MagicMelon

Visit site
You won't find something ready made for under £1,500 that doesnt have big issues (soundness / behaviour etc.). I used to buy project ponies for £500 by simply putting out wanted adverts online so people contacted me, usually people who weren't actually advertising their ponies but saw my advert and realised they had one standing in the field doing absolutely nothing. For that price though I'd get a scruffy 4yo 13.2hh/14.2hh off a hillside which had only been brought in to have its feet done etc. I loved putting the work in though. Through wanted adverts, I have also had my last 2 horses gifted to me for free - however, again one was an unbacked 8yo so I had to put all the work in and the other horse was an amazingly bred, very high quality showjumper but had soundness issues which sadly led to him being retired from competition after only having him for a year. So you do take a risk with free / cheap horses. If you're willing to put the work in then you're more likely to find something. I'd always prefer something raw which hadn't been messed with as they're less likely to have any bad experiences to cause any issues. Be aware of the person selling - you can usually tell "the type" of person and if they're a genuine in the initial phone call. Ask a tonne of questions. If they sound dodgy at all then they will be. Good luck!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm leaning more towards buying an unbroken clean slate.
For a couple of years I had confidence issues which really knocked me around but the last 18 months has been brill for me in this respect. I've done a load of work with a friend's small, young and very green cob and it's reminded me how much I love doing stuff with the younger ones.
I have no desire to rush a youngster and have plenty of patience in that respect but I would like something to start on this spring ideally.
I was convinced this would be the ideal time of year but there's not as much about as I'd hoped.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Have you considered a Suffolk? Have a look at The Suffolk Saga group on Facebook.

Gorgeous 10 year old being sold from the field for just £1600 because he has been out of work when his owner was injured (different horse) and can no longer afford to keep him.

Ride and drive but 17.2hh so two buyers have fallen through because he's 'too big' for livery yards.

I have a 17hh Suffolk and I'd have no doubt taking another from the field. Their temperament is just exceptional. I'm sure they'd consider a trial. He's in West Wales.

I've joined and seen him, what a gorgeous boy 😍
He's my ideal type but sadly my landlord has said whatever I buy must fit in the field shelter so 17hh Is the max realistically :(

JFTDWS

Visit site
Cheap ….. Broken...……. or Sound ……. - you can only have two of the three - if you think you have all three you are being lied to.

I bought a sound, [recently] broken horse within the OP's budget last year. She's not perfect - she was very green, and wouldn't ever compete at the higher levels* for sure, but she's a very nice, useful sort of young horse.

*SJ/DR/XC. I doubt she'll be happy or safe above 90s or competitive at BD. She's epic to barrel race though so I'm happy ;)

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I bought a sound, [recently] broken horse within the OP's budget last year. She's not perfect - she was very green, and wouldn't ever compete at the highest levels for sure, but she's a very nice, useful sort of young horse.

Thanks, gives me a little confidence that there may be something out there. I'm not looking To be the next Charlotte Dujardin or John Whittaker lol, I just want something to have fun with that I can also improve my riding skills with.
I'd love to have a go at XC again as it's years since I did that but just for the hell of it not for competition. I love jumping so would like to have some fun there too but 80%of this horses life will be hacking :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Thanks, gives me a little confidence that there may be something out there. I'm not looking To be the next Charlotte Dujardin or John Whittaker lol, I just want something to have fun with that I can also improve my riding skills with.
I'd love to have a go at XC again as it's years since I did that but just for the hell of it not for competition. I love jumping so would like to have some fun there too but 80%of this horses life will be hacking :)

My mare came from preloved. £1500, 4 years old, 15,2ish, backed by a pro a few months beforehand. I bought her from an A grade polocrosse person because she wouldn't make the grade (hell no!). She's a QHx and a nice, laid back sort. I mostly hack at the moment - she's a nice hack, not very spooky usually, good brakes etc, her worst fault is being a bit looky and backward if she's stressed. She was very, very behind the leg when she came to me - she's much less so now, but reverts to it with other people.

She is ace at indoor TREC (perfect PTV last time out :p ), is capable of nice schooling but hasn't done much, pops a small fence (again, hasn't done much - keen but lacks training), runs barrels / poles / western games once a month, and has epic sliding stops / rollbacks etc. She's greener than she would be as previous owners only worked towards polocrosse and I spent all last winter / spring doing the same. She's sensible and doesn't bugger off in company / on a pitch / has umpired polo matches and all sorts. Basically, she's quite useful, for a 5 year old, for an amateur with no real plans.

They really do exist!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I've joined and seen him, what a gorgeous boy 😍
He's my ideal type but sadly my landlord has said whatever I buy must fit in the field shelter so 17hh Is the max realistically :(

Thanks for looking. I really wish I could take him but one is all I can afford and manage. They really are very special horses.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
just having a look on horsemart and there is a 16.2 ,6 year old.weightcarrier maxicob for sale as person cant afford 2 horses ..he is not broken and is £1750.....he is in essex,may be worth a look as she says her circumstances have changed so i would think she may take lower. could be that she tried to break him and has had problems or ad could be genuine.
sorry dont know how to put the link on here but ref is HM8456F2E

Leo Walker

Visit site

People always say this but I never find its the case. There are tons of horses out there and especially this time of year there are bargains to be had. My budget is usually a third of yours so I tend to go young and green. Its easier to make your own than put someone elses screw ups right.

The current one cost less than a grand, I've sent her off for schooling mainly as breaking to drive needs 3 or 4 competent people and I couldnt be bothered with the hassle, even with the cost of that she will only "owe me" £1500. They love her and think she is going to make a brilliant low level driving trials pony, which is exactly what I wanted from her. She does ride and is safe but green. I sent a fairly novicey teenager out hacking on her when she hadnt been ridden in a few weeks and she was happily cantering round a 100 acre field without a care in the world.

Admittedly shes 14.2hh but thats the size I wanted. You are looking at the higher end which isnt as popular either.

I'd go and look at anything localish that sounds like it might do the job. Dont get on anything you have any doubts about, and if you arent great at spotting lameness take someone who is. Be prepared to buy something thin, or fat or scruffy or with crap feet or thats teeth need doing, or is a pain to handle, or some other off putting thing. Just be clear what is and isnt a deal breaker and what you can actually put right and what you think is too much.

Denbob

Visit site
Denzel only cost me £600 with all his stuff as a rising 5 15'3 to make 16'2 plus - sure he was (and remains) incredibly green but he's sweet as pie, a quick learner, will try his heart out for you and is handsome to boot ;) admittedly he wouldn't suit OP because his price reflected his inability to hack solo and some nappiness but time, patience and a (now very wealthy) physio he's a different horse!

Horses advertised at all budgets are likely to develop health issues, that's just horses for you but as long as you go in with a pragmatic approach and an experienced eye (neither of which I had to be fair) they do exist :)

Antw23uk

Visit site

A very good saying to adhere to in 95% of cases ... but you can also get the 'right place right time' horse but thats usually a word of mouth scenario.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
You should be able to get something at this time of year if you're lucky, everyone is ready to sell but not many people are ready to buy! In my experience, unbroken can be far better as they haven't been screwed up by someone else, and the ones I've broken in have been so much easier. Project horses for sale on Facebook will have a few in that budget, or be open minded about minor vices. I've had ones that weave and windsuck, never a real problem and I found ways to manage it easily enough. It may annoy the seller, but if the horse is a little over budget, ask if they are negotiable and you probably won't have to speak to them again if it doesn't go as planned! Some people will be needing or wanting a faster sale and be happy to come down significantly.