Where to look for nice loan horses

sjdress

Visit site
I am finding it difficult to find anything half decent offered for loan. Most seem to have issues in one way or another. Unfortunately I am not in the position to buy as I have had to unexpectedly retire my competition horse so I would like to take something on loan. Where is the best place to look for a genuine all rounder type? I’ve loaned in the past as a child and never had this problem, maybe it’s different with ponies, I don’t know?!
I would be happy to bring something on, as long as it is not dangerous and does not nap! Looking to compete up to elem dressage and up to 1m showjumping.

be positive

Visit site
What you want is usually a valued asset so if it is sound most people will sell on rather than loan unless it is short term while they are unable to ride so you are either going to find they have an issue or they may be older looking to wind down a bit with the potential issues that go with age, I think you need to be proactive and put wanted ads up online as someone who is undecided may approach you if you can offer the "ideal" home.

sjdress

Visit site
Totally agree. But I’ve had amazing loans in the past but all the ads that I see nowadays are for horses which the owners are scared of and need a huge amount of work to get right, or they are lame! Quite frustrating!

ihatework

Visit site
Totally agree. But I’ve had amazing loans in the past but all the ads that I see nowadays are for horses which the owners are scared of and need a huge amount of work to get right, or they are lame! Quite frustrating!

I think you have to be prepared to compromise when you take on a loan - there would be very few safe, sound, easy competition types available and those that are go through word of mouth. It’s far to risky to loan the valuable ones out to a stranger.

If I were you I would be looking for an older eventer looking to come down levels / take things a bit easier and be prepared to manage mild tendon/arthritis issues.
A well written wanted advert is worth doing.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
when i was looking for a safe happy hacker i couldnt find any that would have suited me(older,competent rider but not as brave as when younger) i found my loan horse through word of mouth locally, she was an ex hunter and aged 19 , sound and willing. she is a bit bigger than i wanted but ticked all the other boxes....if you want a decent sound horse to compete i think you will struggle unless you are a brave rider and willing to take on a challenge.. what about a wanted notice inlocal tack / feed shops or local riding club newsletter.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Because they may be so attached to the horse they want to always ensure it's future?
Oh yes, I get the benefits of loaning. My homebred is out on loan for this reason (she's too small for me). I wouldn't have loaned her to an unknown entity, though. The yard who started her for me acted as matchmaker (YO had previously worked for my lovely loan family).

If a decent non quirky horse becomes available for loan, there's usually a number of 'known' people keen to take it on.

OP, do put up a wanted advert, though. Can you get some decent references as to riding ability/horse care?

Tash88

Visit site
I found my first horse on Horse Quest (loaned him for four years), but that was about 10 years ago now.

I retired my horse a couple of months ago and have seen a few loan/LWVTBs advertised but to be honest nothing that I would want to take on. I am now saving the money I was spending on livery each month (my horse has moved to a much cheaper grass livery and I was on part) into a separate account that is my 'horse fund'. Then I can spend that on livery once the newbie arrives. I would love to buy another horse soon but I am very lucky in that I have some great friends who are letting me ride their horses. Could you spend a few months saving what you were spending on your competition horse and maybe riding friends' horses or having some lessons elsewhere?

I'd much rather buy at this stage, then I know I can bond with the horse properly and do what I like, without the threat of the owner wanting it back. Also it is quite nice to be able to chill out, reflect and decide what I really want in my next horse. There is no rush, but I know I will be soooo excited and happy when I finally find my new horsey partner.

GTRJazz

Visit site
We have a part loaner for our cob he does not put a foot wrong but the other half is too busy to ride it also helps me as I get someone to hack with.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
just seen an ad on h & h for retired racehorses, may be worth a look. also what about the poster on here who is asking how she sells a horse she is scared of....its an overheight connie and she is worried about getting him the right home. may be worth a pm to see if you can help...just looked her user name is barbie, the horse is 15.1 and 9 years old. she is in the north....

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I am finding it difficult to find anything half decent offered for loan. Most seem to have issues in one way or another. Unfortunately I am not in the position to buy as I have had to unexpectedly retire my competition horse so I would like to take something on loan. Where is the best place to look for a genuine all rounder type? I’ve loaned in the past as a child and never had this problem, maybe it’s different with ponies, I don’t know?!
I would be happy to bring something on, as long as it is not dangerous and does not nap! Looking to compete up to elem dressage and up to 1m showjumping.

You are not alone is finding good horses impossible to find for loan. Facebook is full of wanted for loans and wording on the ads never ceases to amaze me. The last one I read was 'over 16h, under 10 and must be capable of competing each weekend at least novice BE' - absolutely fine my dear, it only took 4 years to produce it to that level, 15k please. Good horses simply don't need loaning to random strangers and if they do they certainly are not good horses.

There are plenty of dodge pot horses available to be given away or loaned, usually by owners who cannot face responsibility for their horses and hope out of sight will be out of mind and result in a super duper home.

In the Op's position I would be looking around the breeders and producers to see if they had a 2 or 3 year old they need to off load before winter bites and try to buy it cheaply to produce. Not an ideal situation for the breeders but I have seen this happen a few times. Or try the trainers for a useless racehorse.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Personal recommendation.

Why would anyone loan a good horse (which is what you want) to a stranger?

This 100%

My trainer found my boy for me via social media/word of mouth when I was in a similar position to the OP. His owner wasn't even looking for a loan home for him at the time, but she trusted my trainer and a month later he came home. I feel incredibly lucky as I know as an advanced schoolmaster I could never have afforded to buy him, and I very much doubt he'd have ever been advertised for loan as horses like him generally get snapped up by word of mouth.

Farma

Visit site

I agree with some of the other comments here, I had enough trouble finding a decent sound horse without issues for 10k never mind for loan. You could probably part loan something nice or offer to full loan while the horse stays where it is, that may give you a bit of a chance. I know of a lovely horse that the owner would full loan as she is pregnant but she wouldn't let it leave the yard!

Shay

Visit site
You can get good horses on loan through the various affiliated disciplines. We've picked up loans from time to time this way when my daughter was competing - but we always had our own as well. You have to be active in that discipline, well thought of and reasonably well connected. And in the right place at the right time. There will be folk who need a horse competed for a time when they cannot. But the jockey needs to be known and competent. Someone looking from the outside won't really be able to access this.

SmallSteps

Visit site
You can get good horses on loan through the various affiliated disciplines. We've picked up loans from time to time this way when my daughter was competing - but we always had our own as well. You have to be active in that discipline, well thought of and reasonably well connected. And in the right place at the right time. There will be folk who need a horse competed for a time when they cannot. But the jockey needs to be known and competent. Someone looking from the outside won't really be able to access this.

Always works like that doesn't it? If you've got a load of horses in work then everyone and his dog asks if you want to ride (compete) another one, but when you're not currently riding horses fail to come along! I loaned out a horse to someone who literally approached me and asked if I would. I would never have advertised him for loan but I vaguely knew her, and she'd watched him on social media and was right in her perception that I was starting to wonder what to do with him next (he was doing BD elem dressage and BS 1m, just like the one OP is hoping for, but didn't really want to go further and I wanted to jump higher but didn't want to sell him). I loved the idea of him being the centre of someone's world and playing to his strengths, rather than my number three and struggling, and it worked out fantastic.

LPL

Visit site
Hmm I loaned my first pony for 3 years I think. She was a beautiful Connie cross warmblood perfect pony club mare from a complete stranger. In fact, I never even met the owner I got her from someone else that was loaning her and they just asked a friend that they met in the chip shop if they knew anyone that wanted a pony on loan. Just because friend was wearing jodhpurs. Well dodgy hahaha.

Then I loaned my old boy out for 2 years - with his trailer! To a stranger. He was a grassroots event horse. I think he was 7/8 at the time. Probably worth about 7/8k maybe more. But I was going to uni and I didn’t want to sell him. There are people out there like me I’m sure. Just tell everyone you know you’re looking. Word of mouth is the most valuable tool I imagine.

Or rehome an ex racer!

VRIN

Visit site
There is a person who is offering a loan horse on the BE website. Someone is asking for a loan to do a wobble berry.. might be worth a look.

rosiesowner

Visit site
I think with the type of horse you're looking for you'll have to be willing to wait a while to find 'the one'. I know your pain, though. I didn't want to buy again after I sold my pony as I had no idea what I was going to do with uni etc. My best tip is just KEEP SEARCHING and putting yourself out there; despite how many unsuitable offers you get. Trust me, there will be a lot-especially on Facebook. But I gave it one last bash and will have had Chilli for two years in April. I have been incredibly lucky. Here is the ad I posted (wow, proves how long ago it was if I was 17 at the time):
24826077_866479813511667_1198047785_o.jpg

I recommend making your ad as a word document, taking a screenshot and then posting it as an image. It looks better and is more attention grabbing. :eek:

Keep going! And don't get too disheartened. Even though Chills is a fabulous horse, I had to accept that she was out of work due to her owner not having time to ride and that I would have to bring her back into work.

Good luck!!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Oh yes, I get the benefits of loaning. My homebred is out on loan for this reason (she's too small for me). I wouldn't have loaned her to an unknown entity, though. The yard who started her for me acted as matchmaker (YO had previously worked for my lovely loan family).
And these pics were taken last w/e of my 6yo homebred at a clinic with her 14yo jockey.

BGdzJIO.jpg

3jKfq6A.jpg

AUP3eVD.jpg

I'm chuffed to bits with how the loan has worked out :).

Ahrena

Visit site
I found an amazing horse online I think it was a website called horsestoloan or something.

He only has 1 eye but had bsjaed to s good standard and done BE. I was incredibly lucky to get him, super easy friendly chap who I've now bought and had for 6 years. Semi retired now but he was a golden find.

We ended up going BE novice and newcomers, I had never even affiliated before him.

So they are out there!