Which bit? Advice please.

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
So, Ned has been with me since the end of May. He’s a 15hh Connie.

At home he works well in the school and out and about alone and in company, in a sweet iron snaffle with a copper losenge and a caverson noseband. He’s not strong or silly and very responsive with a nice soft contact. No jaw crossing or bit grabbing.

Yesterday I took him on a charity ride organised by our local bloodhound hunt. We had a ball, but he was ridiculously strong and pulling up was a real challenge. No jaw crossing, head plunging or open mouth pointing. I didn’t jump because he was just so strong. He’s hunted in Ireland and clearly knows his job, but age 51, I really need to know I’ve got some brakes and can take a check when I need to.

looking for thoughts on bits?
1F8C7162-40BA-43F6-BAEE-74259CFEEFE0.jpeg

Last edited:

Tirna

Visit site
Looking at the photo he is lifting his head above the point of control, perhaps try a Kimblewick?

I'd second this. My chap is schooled at home and hacked alone in a lozenge snaffle. For fast group hacks and fun rides, I find a kimblewick or mullen mouth pelham gives more control without any arguments.

IrishMilo

Visit site
That's a great pic. A Wilkie with lozenge works well for my Connie out hacking, although his inclination is to brace his neck down and pull!

saalsk

Visit site
I can't offer bit advice, I'm afraid, as I wouldn't really know where to start, but I wanted to say what a beautiful chap he is, and what a great photo, and I am glad you both enjoyed yourselves :)

GinaGeo

Visit site
My Connemara has a similar way of going, he is a completely different horse to ride in a Double Bridle, which is my go to bridle for him. Mum used to ride in a Kimblewick as she didn't want to faff with two reins.

Edited to add: He has a short shank weymouth and an elastic curb. Anything else he finds a bit too strong for standing around.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I would also go for a double rein option as then you can ride on the snaffle when he doesn't need the stronger pull. Perhaps a pelham as others have said, or a three ring with a rein on the snaffle and a rein on the second ring.

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
He's a handsome chap.
It's going to be a case of trial and error.
I'd be trying a rubber Pelham or a Dutch gag at first.
I'd also shorten my stirrups about 4 holes!
Thanks, I was thinking I’d try a Dutch gag.. Re the stirrups, VSD saddle, so not much room to go up ? also 40 years of being balled at to lengthen my ?... I dunno ?‍♀️

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
Before you change the bit make sure that the bit is working which you say does normally, get the head back under control with a martingale that fits, and maybe change the noseband[/QUOTE

thanks anyway, but the martingale does fit him, I’m not a fan of tying heads down, when the girth is done up, the rings almost reach his wither all bar about a palms width, which is correct. No point changing the nose band, as I say He doesn’t cross his jaw or grab at the bit, or otherwise evade in that way, so strapping his mouth closed isn’t going to help here. I’m inclined to agree with those who’ve recommended a bit of poll pressure. I’ll try that first.

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
I can't offer bit advice, I'm afraid, as I wouldn't really know where to start, but I wanted to say what a beautiful chap he is, and what a great photo, and I am glad you both enjoyed yourselves :)
Thanks! Bit hairy at times, but the smile says it all!

Attachments

• 11073856-A683-420C-8323-41D39621C7A3.jpeg
    11073856-A683-420C-8323-41D39621C7A3.jpeg
    683.5 KB · Views: 27

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
My Connemara has a similar way of going, he is a completely different horse to ride in a Double Bridle, which is my go to bridle for him. Mum used to ride in a Kimblewick as she didn't want to faff with two reins.

Edited to add: He has a short shank weymouth and an elastic curb. Anything else he finds a bit too strong for standing around.
Definitely worth considering thank you! What a simple solution. ?

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
For faster hacks I have my connie in a sprenger duo pelham with adjustable roundings and a leather curb chain. He's very sensitive and it was the only pelham he'd tolerate. In the school he has a nice light double jointed eggbut which works a treat.

thanks. I’ll put that on the list.

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
He looks lovely. If your hands come up when he is strong then the action of the bit can be reduced. You could try keeping your hands lower and 'shimmying' with your shoulders, whilst keeping your leg on. Your body movement will have a far better result than your arms.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Can't quote you because your post is embedded in someone else's post, but your martingale isn't doing the job it's meant to (keeping the head from going above the angle of control). Correctly fitted it won't "tie his head down", it won't do anything other than weigh on the reins slightly until he sticks his head up in the air, at which point it will stop him doing what he's doing in the photo.

Personally I'd go the two rein route, particularly if he's usually good in a snaffle with a nice mouth, or Kimblewick if you prefer one rein.

Lovely little horse :)

Sunjunkieme

Visit site
He looks lovely. If your hands come up when he is strong then the action of the bit can be reduced. You could try keeping your hands lower and 'shimmying' with your shoulders, whilst keeping your leg on. Your body movement will have a far better result than your arms.
? I’ll try to remember that next time I’m hurtling towards a big hedge full chat!

GinaGeo

Visit site
So you can see, similar stamp of pony in his double. He doesn’t need a martingale with it. In this picture he’d just landed from a Hay bale and was heading towards the next one whilst following the rest of group.

Would be a perfect recipe for head in the air!

He goes much like yours in his snaffle when out hunting!

A1E83841-09BB-4169-B7E5-40B90F876DA1.jpeg

Auslander

Visit site
Your responses are a little bit defensive/dismissive, which is understandable, but may mean that you miss out on some really useful advice.
For me, the martingale is so long that it isn't doing anything, even with your hands as high as they are. Your stirrups are too long for fast work/jumping, which means that you're standing up in the stirrups and using the reins to balance yourself - you don't have a compact, solid base to anchor him from. In the pic above, it looks like, if both your reins snapped, you would not be able to balance
If you shorten your stirrups about 5 holes, you'll be able to get your bum back, and your feet forward, which will make you more solid/secure, and he won't be able to pull you out of the saddle. You can still use two point seat, but you'll be in a much stronger, mor balanced position, which will then make it easier to keep him anchored.
Not saying don't change the bit - there's nothing worse than having your arms pulled out, but there are other steps you can take to make yourself more difficult to pull against.

Mule

Visit site
I was going to suggest a shorter martingale too. You may not need a different bit if he can't get his head so high.

Otherwise

Visit site
I agree the martingale is useless at that length, I was always taught the rings should be a handspan from the wither rather than a palms width.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
So, Ned has been with me since the end of May. He’s a 15hh Connie.

At home he works well in the school and out and about alone and in company, in a sweet iron snaffle with a copper losenge and a caverson noseband. He’s not strong or silly and very responsive with a nice soft contact. No jaw crossing or bit grabbing.

Yesterday I took him on a charity ride organised by our local bloodhound hunt. We had a ball, but he was ridiculously strong and pulling up was a real challenge. No jaw crossing, head plunging or open mouth pointing. I didn’t jump because he was just so strong. He’s hunted in Ireland and clearly knows his job, but age 51, I really need to know I’ve got some brakes and can take a check when I need to.

looking for thoughts on bits?
View attachment 55979
Looking at the photo he is lifting his head above the point of control, perhaps try a Kimblewick?

Agree or perhaps a berris combination hackamore so you have nose control along with the Kimblewick mouthpiece.https://www.equiport.co.uk/products/horse/bits/ported-tandem-bit-bb13/

My mare has high carriage so head was in rafters till i bought this bit, expensive as it was i took the risk as she liked the mouthpiece but did not like the curb in her chin groove but happier with it further up the jaw and like the nose pressure.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Before you change the bit make sure that the bit is working which you say does normally, get the head back under control with a martingale that fits, and maybe change the noseband
Not sure on this as the rings of the martingale need to reach the withers on the near side and this does not look that far from fitting