Which bit with a Kineton noseband? Please help!

Angelbones

Visit site
Hi everyone,

In a final and desperate attempt to get some control for my 14 yr old daughter on her 14.3h who is incredibly strong and whizzy when jumping, plus can be quirky and spooky, I have a Kineton arriving this week. But which bit to use with it?

Normally pony is ridden in a Myler snaffle, moving up to a Pelham with curb chain and roundings for faster stuff (d can't manage 2 reins). Can I use the Kineton with a low ported Pelham? I've read on here that some people use it with a Waterford (have a NS Universal Waterford which we used before on its own but I thought it made the pony raise her head even higher and shorten her neck, leaving daughter with no where to go). I do have quite a selection of bits I could try but looking for suggestions to cut down the time scale.

We are literally one week away from sending the pony away to be sold as daughter's jumping confidence is at an all time low and I have to do something to help her before it's give-up-riding altogether time. To say we are at crisis point is putting it mildly :(

There is much much more to this tale but I can't put it all here now, so really looking for suggestions, thank you everyone :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I use mine with a waterford, full cheek has been more successful than loose ring. Can you try with the snaffle first and see how pony accepts the kineton action? You'll need to play around with the noseband fitting to get it coming into action at the right time. My mare is incredibly strong xc but the kineton is pretty sharp, you might not end up needing a lot of metalwork with it :)

milliepops

Visit site
On reflection I could probably get away with my dressage bit when using my kineton, that's the difference it makes with my horse. She responds really well to the pressure on her nose.

Angelbones

Visit site
I use mine with a waterford, full cheek has been more successful than loose ring. Can you try with the snaffle first and see how pony accepts the kineton action? You'll need to play around with the noseband fitting to get it coming into action at the right time. My mare is incredibly strong xc but the kineton is pretty sharp, you might not end up needing a lot of metalwork with it :)

Thank you Milliepops, I haven't got a waterford full cheek but do have a waterford pelham somewhere which would negate the loose ring and I've probably got something else with full cheek if I rummage around. Yes I can play around in the school this week whilst d is at school. Any tips on the fitting? I'm busy googling this but there are many opinions from it just lifting the bit slightly when the reins are not in use to having it looser so it comes into play when rein pressure is applied.

milliepops

Visit site
I think the fitting will be trial and error. It took mea couple of goes to get it right on mine. If its tighter across the nose the pressure is transferred from bit to nose very quickly. If it is looser, you need more of a pull to engage the noseband.
I'd suggest starting off quite loose in case pony objects ;) then gradually tighten until you find the sweet spot. Beware if its too tight it can make a jointed bit invert or pull the bit too far upwards.

Have a think about the mouthpiece of the bits you try and how they act normally. An unjointed pelham will partly cause pressure on the bars, for example. .. using a kineton would prevent that to a certain degree. Brain is too tired to think much further at the mo, sorry but hope that gives some pointers :) great noseband if the horse accepts it though, good luck

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
i used one with various bits, a twisted snaffle, a balding gag (double reins), an american gag & a waterford..... we had serious braking issues, it worked best with the gag & the twisted snaffle, i also used a grackle with the kineton when he was particularly strong!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I think you really need a jointed bit with the Kineton for it to work properly. I've used it with single & double jointed snaffles and a Dr. Bristol. Without a joint in the bit you won't be able to get the same amount of pressure from the Kineton.