Which bridle?

LHIS

Visit site
I'd like some steer on what type of bridle would suit my new gelding (the one I bought in search for my safe and fun cob). He's a stocky traditional (I think, no breeding on his CHAPS passport), slightly more white than black but not by much, a proper 'leg in each corner' type, but with turbo engine! From his head he looks to me like there could be some Welsh in there, but my other gelding is Welsh D x Trad Cob and they are very different - this boy is much stockier.
I don't know the type of bridle that will suit him as he has quite a blocky head - what do you think?
Apologies for the huge photos - I don't know how to make them smaller.

18893407_10100487047667102_5800000696137997135_n.jpg

18952609_10100487047672092_2145913647487288191_n.jpg

holeymoley

Visit site
Awe I really like him ! I would go for a traditional thick cavesson nose band . Could do a plaited browband too to give it a little something.

catroo

Visit site
Agree with holeymoley, hunter type bridle with a good wide cavesson noseband. I think he'll look good with a leather plaited browband

jnb

Visit site
I would not go with the "English Bridle" - horse needs more leather and thicker bridle all round
3/4" cheekpieces, 1 1/2" browband, 2" noseband. The more white on a horses head (for cobs) the thicker leather they need to look their best. IMO of course

Auslander

Visit site
I knew that link was going to be the flat padded one! I' have seen it in the flesh, and it is GORGEOUS. Alf doesn't need another bridle though!

OP. Alf has a rather blocky head too - and he looks best in a wide padded noseband, but with slim cheekpieces to balance him out. Current bridle is a bit old and tatty, but seems to do the trick
18922067_10155848291885730_2461522384133447791_n.jpg

LHIS

Visit site
Thanks all! Really like the English bridle suggested but take your point jnb about balancing him out. Jnb and Aus - gorgeous horses!
Now to find something that fits the bill without a sodding loop for a flash on!

P.s it's got to be black - his saddle is black and I can't afford another in Havana at the moment!

jnb

Visit site
Thanks all! Really like the English bridle suggested but take your point jnb about balancing him out. Jnb and Aus - gorgeous horses!
Now to find something that fits the bill without a sodding loop for a flash on!

P.s it's got to be black - his saddle is black and I can't afford another in Havana at the moment!
Buy dark Havana (which looks almost black) - then if you ever decide to show or even change your saddle you won't need another bridle? Brown does look so much better (less harsh) against a mostly white head, take it from me as I had black on my Cob at first, brown did so much more for him ;)

LHIS

Visit site
I reached a decision on the bridle for my new lad - who knew it was such a task!
I was rummaging through my other geldings stuff and found his 'posh' bridle - yet unused - it's a sabre hunter style bridle, so I took that and tried it on the new boy. It didn't fit, but though the style suited him the deep matt black of the leather didn't make him pop as it were, though the style was lovely. Because of his uneven white markings on his face I think he needs a little lift.
So I kept looking for something with a bit of extra pop, but still a hunter style bridle and have found this - (I hope this link works, it's on eBay..) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121363605729
It has a patent noseband and browband I think it will give him the lift that I'm looking for. If patent is sacrilege then I apologise, but I really like it!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I had that bridle in brown. Its surprisingly nice in the flesh and does look good on. I found the sizing a bit odd though, so try it on before you take the tag off!

Leo Walker

Visit site
The noseband was tiny and I had to put another hole right in the end and even then I could barely get it fastened, yet hes in the middle of normal cob size stuff and can fit in the odd big pony thing. The headpiece was big as well. Just off all over sadly. I did manage to make it work and it looked lovely, but I wouldnt buy from them again after that I dont think.

LHIS

Visit site
The noseband was tiny and I had to put another hole right in the end and even then I could barely get it fastened, yet hes in the middle of normal cob size stuff and can fit in the odd big pony thing. The headpiece was big as well. Just off all over sadly. I did manage to make it work and it looked lovely, but I wouldnt buy from them again after that I dont think.

Ah poop, thanks for the feedback. I can't be doing with faffing around sending it back and forth, especially as it has a lead time already for manufacture. I'll have a look for something similar. Or perhaps just buy the English bridles one and be done with it!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I feel bad now that I've put you off! It does look very nice on. But I dont think they let you return it if she has to order it in, so might be for the best.