Which pro riders have the best seat/position?

Visit site
Actually saw something when CDJ was test rider at a Swedish young horse show. She transformed each horse and had very careful comments to make about each horse too. I can't remember where I saw it or even what year it was.

I remember this, she rather like a young, enthusiastic stallion if I remember rightly.

Mike007

Visit site
Is she the one who does the demo pics in Equi-ads? I didn't take much notice as it's not my thing but she rides with her stirrups rather short!

Yes , thinking about it,she does ride more of a steeplechase length xc .but she does also have a very distinctive position , slightly behind the action and able to brace against any unforeseen eventuality. In my opinion this is backed up with extreme fitness and agility . She is awesome .

silv

Visit site
Interesting that someone said Mark Todd, the first thought that popped into my head when I saw this thread was "definitely NOT Mark Todd". Don't get me wrong I could not ride the horses he does as well as he does but he's a very physical rider and he always looks slightly hunched over and manic- very flappy elbows :D The riders that stand out for style for me, Laura Renwick and Ben Meyer in SJ, Mary King and Lucinda Green both very stylish in eventing and Charlotte Dujardin is a beautiful rider.
A good counter thread would be "Who is the least stylish rider but gets the job done just as well?"
I remember being told by a PC instructor that Will Funnell "rides like a farmer but his horses seem to like it"

I know what you mean about the slightly flappy elbows and Mark Todd, but to me he always looks so light on the horses back and unrestricting, hence horses all go so very well for him.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Edward Gal is so tense and transfers that to the horse.

Is it possible to sit so still on a big moving horse and be tense?

Edward Gal rides some exceptionally hot horses. It's on record that he had to be begged to take on Totilas, and turned him down the first time.

To appear to be motionless on a big moving horse, you actually have to be moving a lot, but in total synchrony with the horse. I would kill to be able to sit and absorb the movement as skillfully as he does.

SpringArising

Visit site
Got to go with Mark Todd. Doesn't just look great on his own horses ,looks great on anyone's.

Mark Todd is another who always looks good. And Tina Cook and Zara Tindall always look perfect SJ.

I don't rate any of the Whitakers in terms of style - they all have chair seats!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site

Edward Gal rides some exceptionally hot horses. It's on record that he had to be begged to take on Totilas, and turned him down the first time.

To appear to be motionless on a big moving horse, you actually have to be moving a lot, but in total synchrony with the horse. I would kill to be able to sit and absorb the movement as skillfully as he does.

yep agree here. I would love to be able to sit as well as he does on a horse, it looks effortless but anyone who has tried to ride well will know it's anything but :p I agree with the poster who said it is therefore hard to comprehend the other aspects of his riding/training... Just imagine what he could produce without the RK etc.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Actually saw something when CDJ was test rider at a Swedish young horse show. She transformed each horse and had very careful comments to make about each horse too. I can't remember where I saw it or even what year it was.

Charlotte has done the test ride in Flyinge for the last couple of years. She gets on horse after horse to assess them - all big, young, powerful dressage horses. She must have nerves of steel!! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bGTCU0Nepm8

BunnyDog

Visit site
Was watching some Show jumping from Switzerland on Tv last night and it reconfirmed what I saw in Omaha, Daniel Deusser has a great soft following upper body.

Emily

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
"yep agree here. I would love to be able to sit as well as he does on a horse, it looks effortless but anyone who has tried to ride well will know it's anything but I agree with the poster who said it is therefore hard to comprehend the other aspects of his riding/training... Just imagine what he could produce without the RK etc." Using quote marks as my phone won't quote as normal...

This was my point really. I would love to see this super talented rider ride softer. I am comparing him with other pro riders, not me... I wouldn't set foot near any of his (or most other pro riders') horses. I am nowhere near good enough and I'm pretty sure they would kill me 😂. But yes he has such talent and skill, just imagine if he also rode with softness.

{97702}

Visit site
Yes , thinking about it,she does ride more of a steeplechase length xc .but she does also have a very distinctive position , slightly behind the action and able to brace against any unforeseen eventuality. In my opinion this is backed up with extreme fitness and agility . She is awesome .

She is indeed awesome - she may ride shorter than is "fashionable" but her balance and core strength are unsurpassed, she is amazing!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Id go for Tina Cook too. She's such a quiet rider, looks just as calm and collected on her novice horses as she does on her most experienced. Everything looks planned.

{97702}

Visit site
Is she the one who does the demo pics in Equi-ads? I didn't take much notice as it's not my thing but she rides with her stirrups rather short!

No idea about Equi-Ads, don't watch them, but I'm not aware of them being one of her sponsors

{97702}

Visit site
Mark Todd is another who always looks good. And Tina Cook and Zara Tindall always look perfect SJ.

I don't rate any of the Whitakers in terms of style - they all have chair seats!

SERIOUSLY???!!! john Whitaker is THE best horseman I have EVER seen - would love to compare his seat to mine to see if he has a "chair seat" :D

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com

Well I don't think he rides softly. He has a super seat and yes rides some super hot horses, but he's not the only one. I do greatly admire his seat but just wish he were softer. Tension means different things to different people I suppose, but my understanding (as a physiotherapist) is that you cannot be completely relaxed and absorb and in fact create the movement that one with a great seat does. You have to be using a lot of muscles in complete balance and synchrony and I believe that this can be done with more or less tension. I think he is missing the forwards thinking hands bit a little though!!!!!

His seat is, I agree, fabulous.

tristar

Visit site
can`t stand gal, toto should have had a rider to match his power and talent not someone who thought he was too hot, for god sake!!!!!!

i must say john whitaker is admired the world over, even in france!

Counterpoint

Visit site
Charlotte or Carl for dressage, I don't think you can separate seat and hands, they have to work together.
Scott Brash SJ for me, a lot of them move too much,
WFP, Tina Cook, Micheal Jung possibly, again a lot of them are effective and don't interfere but don't necessarily have a great seat/sit still/quiet.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I love Marcus Ehning's style jumping, always looks effortless and seems to just sit so quietly and gives the horse freedom to jump underneath him. And Rodrigo Pessoa.

William Fox Pitt for eventing, he's just so balanced.

Charlotte Du Jardin and Carl Hester dressage but then I dont really follow dressage so they're the obvious ones ;)

SpringArising

Visit site
Lévrier;13720486 said:
SERIOUSLY???!!! john Whitaker is THE best horseman I have EVER seen - would love to compare his seat to mine to see if he has a "chair seat" :D

Ah but you can be a great horseman without being stylish!

This is always what I picture when I think of JW:

1200px-Hessischen_Ministerpr%C3%A4sidenten_John_Whitaker_auf_Maximilian_3_mk.jpg

DSC_7804.jpg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
can`t stand gal, toto should have had a rider to match his power and talent not someone who thought he was too hot, for god sake!!!!!!

I not sure if you've read about his background? The horse was so feisty no-one wanted to ride him. Gal turned him down for that reason. Later on the owner persuaded him to take the horse on, and history is history.

I suspect rollkür was first adopted as the only way to get these ultra hot horses under control, and then of course they won, and the rest of that is history too.

And while I dislike seeing rollkür and would never use it, the oldest horse I've seen sound and competing was Parzival, who was extensively trained and warmed up using it, so surely the jury must still be out on what actual damage it causes?

Mule

Visit site
I not sure if you've read about his background? The horse was so feisty no-one wanted to ride him. Gal turned him down for that reason. Later on the owner persuaded him to take the horse on, and history is history.

I suspect rollkür was first adopted as the only way to get these ultra hot horses under control, and then of course they won, and the rest of that is history too.

And while I dislike seeing rollkür and would never use it, the oldest horse I've seen sound and competing was Parzival, who was extensively trained and warmed up using it, so surely the jury must still be out on what actual damage it causes?

I've also heard that's how rollkur started. I actually read an old article with Gal back when the Dutch first started using Rollkur. He talked about it openly back then. He said he doesn't always use it. According to him it depends on the horse. I got the impression it is the ultra hot, forward types that he was referring to.

Give me a sensible horse anyday. I like my hacking aswell as my dressage. I wouldn't fancy passing tractors/ trailers etc, on these fire breathing dragons!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've also heard that's how rollkur started. I actually read an old article with Gal back when the Dutch first started using Rollkur. He talked about it openly back then. He said he doesn't always use it. According to him it depends on the horse. I got the impression it is the ultra hot, forward types that he was referring to.

Give me a sensible horse anyday. I like my hacking aswell as my dressage. I wouldn't fancy passing tractors/ trailers etc, on these fire breathing dragons!

Rollkur is actually a sort of modern take on Francois Baucher's "premier maniére", so not new. FWIW I think Edward Gal has an exemplary seat (being 9' tall with mile-long legs certainly helps), it's the rest of him that causes me some unease.

I doubt that many GP dressage horses are required to pass tractors.

Last edited:

tristar

Visit site
but that`s the whole point!

horses like that are the bravest of all! i bet toto would have passed anything.

ah come on, some of those people never ride out, i`d like to see them riding out a newly broken horse on its to prove it reliable.

as for too hot, well i suppose if all you ever do is ride in school, a `hot` horse must be pretty scary.

toto was not `too hot`he was what he was, horses like that are full of life and courage, just as they should be, and deserve the riders to match.

Mule

Visit site
Rollkur is actually a sort of modern take on Francois Baucher's "premier maniére", so not new. FWIW I think Edward Gal has an exemplary seat (being 9' tall with mile-long legs certainly helps), it's the rest of him that causes me some unease.

I doubt that many GP dressage horses are required to pass tractors.

Had a read up on Baucher. Very controversial in his day. For all the antipathy towards Sjef Jannsen he's nowhere as extreme.
Mind you I agree with the 'hand without leg' and 'leg without hand'. It's what I've been taught. I didn't know it wasnt the norm.