Which Wellingtons?

The Trooper

Visit site
Morning All,

As we are coming in to winter I am going to be looking for a new pair of wellies to wear when going about general duties at the yard.

Over the last 2 winters I have worn a pair of muck boots which have been great but my feet seem to have shrunk causing movement in the boots which has rubbed the liner at the heel which in turn is now damaging my socks and getting bloody annoying!

I am considering another pair of muck boots as they are available for around £85 but I am open to other suggestions. I have a bit of a thing for Ariat footwear so they are not out of the question.

What do you all think on this subject?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
After spending a fortune on expensive but poor quality Wellingtons for yard work, I have eventually opted for cheap ones which I can replace 2 or 3 times each year for less than the cost of a pair of Muckboots/Aigle/Barbour/Hunters, etc, etc. and have dry comfortable feet all year round.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I've tried every major brand (Apart from rubber Le Chameau boots) and none have lasted more than one winter season, although TBF, I often walk the dogs in them too.i love Ariat boots and last year's pair split on several places, but surprisingly didn't leak even when wading through mud. Just bought another pair for this year.
Muck boots are good, but mine split at the ankle joint. Aigle spilt after a few weeks, big disappointment as they cost £180.
Husband's £10 Dunlops are still going strong after 2 years, but they are a bit cold on the feet in winter.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My Aigle's lasted 4 years but I looked after them with proper rubber cleaner. Gutted when they went and couldn't afford to replace them so I bought a pair of Kramer boots which look like Muck boots for a fraction of the price, £29 I think. Love them and after a full year of wear they aren't showing any defects at all.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My Aigle's lasted 4 years but I looked after them with proper rubber cleaner. Gutted when they went and couldn't afford to replace them so I bought a pair of Kramer boots which look like Muck boots for a fraction of the price, £29 I think. Love them and after a full year of wear they aren't showing any defects at all.

My Aigles lasted all of 6 weeks! I was very disappointed, they had a fabulous warm lining but let wet in on the stitching/join.

chaps89

Visit site
I love my le chemeaus. I'm on my third pair in maybe 10 years?
Another brand I've seen recommended on here that also look nice are Gumleaf but I've no first hand experience of them.

Fruitcake

Visit site
I absolutely love my Aigles! I’ve had them about six years now, I think and they’re still going strong. (I practically live in them in winter too). I do give them a quick hose off at the back door every time I come in and I spray them with silicone spray from time to time. Well worth the eye-watering cost, in my opinion as they’ve long out lasted any Hunters or Le Chameau I’ve had previously.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Dunlops and decathlon fishing wellies have done me well for the past 10 years. I do the yard, long rein, trudge through mud and walk dogs averaging 25,000 steps in winter. My decathlon wellies have lasted beautifully and are so comfy, only about £13 too

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
aigles parcours, brilliant, comfy,waterproof and warm...used to use mine for yard and dog walking, now only for dog walking but i think they have done 5 winters and if they break now i will replace with the same

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Morning All,

As we are coming in to winter I am going to be looking for a new pair of wellies to wear when going about general duties at the yard.

Over the last 2 winters I have worn a pair of muck boots which have been great but my feet seem to have shrunk causing movement in the boots which has rubbed the liner at the heel which in turn is now damaging my socks and getting bloody annoying!

I am considering another pair of muck boots as they are available for around £85 but I am open to other suggestions. I have a bit of a thing for Ariat footwear so they are not out of the question.

What do you all think on this subject?
Oh my goodness, my Muck Boots did the same - my heel rubbed a hole in the neoprene and I couldn't wear them after that due to guaranteed blister afterwards. I've also bought boots in the "up to £100" range and they have all lasted about a year and a half. Finally saved up for a pair of Le Chemeau boots and oh my goodness what a game changer. I bought the neoprene lined ones, think they're called Vierzonord. Definitely recommend if you can bear to part with the money. I think mine were about £155.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I have Toggi neoprene lined wellies which I'd highly recommend. Very comfy and last me several winters.

I bought a pair last year, purely for dog walking. They’re very comfy (but are only worn occasionally so can’t attest to how long they’ll last).

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Keep your eye open on the Muck Boot website and you can often get real bargains. I use them all the time and my last pair were £29 in the sale.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I did Muck boots until they changed and got really hard on the heels! Now have Toggi Canyons and I just love them. 3 years old and still waterproof. So comfy and warm too. I just rinse the mud off and leave to dry. I didn't even condition them or anything until yesterday after I ended up waist deep in a burn and drowned them properly!

Steerpike

Visit site
I used to buy cheap as chip boots from countrywide, last year I decided to splash out on a pair of La Chemeau, they have lasted last winter well, still look like new and are so comfortable and warm!

Mucking out - still

Visit site
I love Muckboots but have been disappointed in they don't last a full year - same experience as others on here. Swear by my Aigles and I don't treat them especially well (shame face, on hearing what some of you do!) but sorry to hear what some have experienced. Still, would replace with Aigle again when the time comes.

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
I work on a yard and have tried most of the above and none have lasted.
Loved my le chemeau but had 2 pairs and neither lasted me more than 9 months.
I've now changed to goodyear wellies, they do a neoprene lined pair for less than half the price of other brands and have lasted longer.
A friend gave up and bought £10 Dunlop wellies a half to full size up and added good quality insoles to help keep feet warm and is on about year 4 with these

EventingMum

Visit site
I have found Aigles best, Le Chameaus cracked across the base of my toe on two pairs (may just be my feet) but Aigles have been brilliant. I splashed out and got the leather-lined ones in a sale and can honestly say they are the best I've ever had, warm in winter but not too hot like neoprene lined ones in summer, a supportive footbed and so comfortable.

scotlass

Visit site
I bought a pair last year, purely for dog walking. They’re very comfy (but are only worn occasionally so can’t attest to how long they’ll last).

It was me responsible for recommending and your subsequent purchase of the Toggi ones. Pleased to hear you find them comfy. All my Toggi ones have lasted 5 years, and compared to how Hunters are nowadays, there is no comparison.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It was me responsible for recommending and your subsequent purchase of the Toggi ones. Pleased to hear you find them comfy. All my Toggi ones have lasted 5 years, and compared to how Hunters are nowadays, there is no comparison.

Of course, I remember now. Really pleased with them. Very comfy and absolutely waterproof.

Thanks again 😀

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Over the years I've tried boots of all makes, materials & prices & have wasted a fortune. Now I buy rubber rigger boots. They are lines for warmth & as they are rubber they are waterproof.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORTWEST-Neptune-Rigger-Boots-S5-C1-Wellingtons-Waterproof-Steel-Toe-Cap-FW75/323172831724?
My last pair spilt where the boot creases where your foot bends when you walk so I threw them out & started with my spare pair. I can't fault them, they keep my feet warm & dry & cost under £20.

Dubsie

Visit site
Our yard isn't too muddy so I buy steel toe capped De Walt Titanium Safety boots - about £85 from Screwfix, they're waterproof, I can wash them off under the tap while wearing them, last at least 3 years before the leather cracks through or they wear out.