Whip/crop/stick - Outdated or legitimate aid?

bouncing_ball

Visit site
A light tap from the whip to back up the leg aid when schooling can be effective. You can practice tapping the whip on your own leg to assess the degree of force needed - hardly anything.

I wouldn't hack out without one. Say the horse is spooking out into the road at a cow sticking her head out through a hedge while a car is coming up fast behind you. A tap with the whip behind the saddle on the off side to remind the horse that you are in charge, thank you very much, so please move back to the correct side of the road, and do it now.
This 100% I’d never hack without a whip. A timely back up to my aids in an unexpected situation can be vital.

FourWhiteSocks

Visit site
I carry a high vis whip out hacking. Its useful for gates, branches, dangerous dogs (once a dangerous person) and when horse says no but no isn't an option (lots of cliff edge bridlepaths/mixed use paths on our very steep north coast).

On reflection I only use the schooling whip when schooling if my instructor tells me to. I suppose that the whip is a safety back-up for me, and that probably means I need to learn more about how to use it correctly as an aid rather than an 'oh shit' weapon.

Ratface

Visit site
I carry a long dressage whip. It has hi-viz tape wrapped round it from the mid point and forms a long flat tassel at the tip.
Out hacking, I use it to "dissuade" packs of mamels and drivers who don't Pass Wide and Slow.
If Old Horse is being particularly idiotic, ("It's a brown hen - you know I only tolerate white hens . . . I'm running away - NOW!") I might give him a sharp tap behind my offside leg to prevent an accident.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I come from a slightly different angle. I rode with the RDA for a while and also competed RDA dressage. I have weak legs myself although I knew riders who were more paralysed than myself. So riding with two whips (long dressage ones) was fairly common as you essentially can then replace a poor or even non existent leg aid with a precise aid from a whip.

I can remember when i first moved here that there was a bit of a gauntlet that my mare really hated out hacking. On one side of the road were some gallopy horses (they without fail would charge over when they heard us coming) and the other side had some alpacas who loved to pop their heads over the hedge and 'surprise' us. My mare has a very quick whip round and teleport. I discovered that if I rode with the two whips that I could keep her straight. A bit of moving them up and down by rotating my wrists, maybe a tap on a shoulder if she was going to spin. It worked, although what worked better was proper training. Doesn't it always!? I spend a good amount of time leading her up and down that gauntlet until everyone (gallopy horses, alpacas and my mare) were so used to each other that the issue was resolved.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I stopped carrying a whip years ago after questioning why I needed one. I do feel its punishment, as much as people say oh no its for encouragement / emphasising the aids or whatever I feel those are just excuses. Too many times I see people at events getting mad and using the stick in anger, how is that acceptable. I wish these days that you got extra marks in all disiplines if you DONT carry a whip or need spurs etc. Saying a whip doesnt cause pain, well of course it does. It must cause some discomfort or the horse wouldn't respond to it. Ive competed to CIC* and 1.20 BS without a whip and never regretted it. If my horse stops at a jump, I know its my fault either I rode badly or didnt train well enough but I see people who just start smacking their horses, and they clearly do it often as the horse starts going nuts as soon as they've refused just waiting for the smack. I definately dont think kids should see it as the norm to carry whips, they shouldnt be allowed at pony club etc. We need to stop this mentality of the automatic carrying of one, the basic should be that you DONT carry one.

I will admit that I do have a lunge whip which I do keep in my trailer for my current horse who isnt great at loading. He's not hit with it by any means (dont think you can really hit with a lunge whip) but just tapping him on his hind legs seems to make him pick his legs up enough to move forward (and hopefully into the trailer), however I hate doing this and feel its a big failure on my training so I will be working on the issue with clicker training. The fact I dont want to be standing about still trying to load after an hour after a tiring event is really no excuse for it.

I dont have any issues with people carrying schooling whips for hacking though as of course they can be handy for fending off loose chasing dogs etc.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Schooling whips can be very useful aids, provided they are used as an aid and never a punishment. You can always tell with a horse whether that is the case or not. With my lovely but laidback connie, the schooling whip had been used sensitively as a training aid and so all he needed was a flick behind the leg, or on the shoulder, or on the top of his hindquarters and he would respond with more impulsion, or by moving away from the whip. You could hold the whip near his face and he wouldn’t flinch, because he never expected any harm to come from it, and it was never used as anything more than an extra aid. It’s a real joy to have a horse than responds so sensitively to a whip but without any fear, as it’s so helpful with a laidback horse and reduces the need to ‘nag’ with the leg. It’s also helpful with lateral work as you use it to demonstrate to the horse when they need to cross more with the hindquarters.

I used to hack with a short whip ‘just in case’, when I was alone but never needed to use it. Quite often I’d forget altogether!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Saying a whip doesnt cause pain, well of course it does. It must cause some discomfort or the horse wouldn't respond to it.
A whip can of course be used to inflict pain.
It doesn't always cause pain and you absolutely can train a horse to respond to a light touch from a whip. See my RDA example earlier. Some of the best and most sensitive riding I've seen was from some incredibly disabled riders. Interestingly I never saw anyone whip a horse in anger at any RDA competition that I attended.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
A whip can of course be used to inflict pain.
It doesn't always cause pain and you absolutely can train a horse to respond to a light touch from a whip. See my RDA example earlier. Some of the best and most sensitive riding I've seen was from some incredibly disabled riders. Interestingly I never saw anyone whip a horse in anger at any RDA competition that I attended.
A whip is not for causing pain, although of course it can be used to do so, just as a bit isn't intended to cause pain but most definitely does, more often than not unintentionally (see all those posts about needing better "brakes"). The problem is not whips per se, but the lack of education in how to use one. You cannot, IMO, train the higher levels of riding/dressage without the refinement of spurs, a schooling whip and a curb bit, NONE of which are to be let loose in the hands of uneducated riders.

Visit site
But I like my sparkly pink unicorn shaped Whip ???

I actually rarely carry one. I carry a show cane because it is etiquette. At work if I am on a lazy horse doing a bit of work I will take one but very rarely use it. Most know when you have one in your hand and work more enthusiastically without actually even so much as lifting it. When I do use it it is very much a smack down the shoulder as we jump off to get them strong into the bridle and working up the hill. I have only ever turned it backwards and belted a backside once. And he was a nappy effer! Would not go anywhere near thes gallop, just planted, so he got a couple round the backside and off he went.

The padded racing whips are designed more for sound than for anything else. Though I do have an unpopular opinion in racing. We have a series called the Hands and Heels series for conditional/apprentice jockeys. They carry sticks but they are not allowed to use them. They can "show" them in a Driving finish but they are not to make contact with the horse. If your horse suddenly jinks or drifts across the track you can use the stick down the shoulder to correct the direction of travel. In jumping you can again use it down the shoulder once or twice before a fence IF the horse is backing off, running down the fence etc to keep the forward momentum up. It is a safety feature. Every time a stick is used in these races the Jockey has to give a perfectly valid reason for it and it has to be obvious why it has been used. They are not allowed to hit them behind the saddle. I would like ALL racing to be like this. Not just the young jockey races. To me the stick is a safety feature in a race.

Fjord

Visit site
I've recently started hacking on public bridleways after moving yards. I've wrapped my short whips in hi viz ribbon and started taking one out with me in case I need to wave it at an unruly dog. One has ribbons on the end for summer and flies.

irishdraft

Visit site
I always carry a stick it feels strange not to have one . I use it for opening gates and such things it's a useful tool. Very rarely touch the horse with it.

scats

Visit site
I always carry one on Millie, whether hacking or schooling. Rarely use it, but it’s there if needed to back my leg up. I actually tend to give my boot a tap to make a noise, which seems to work far better for Millie than tapping her.
I don’t carry one on Polly.

Pippity

Visit site
I hack with a hi-viz or LED schooling whip, because it's useful for so many things - hold out at 90 degrees to encourage cars to give more space, a little tap to encourage her past a newly cut-down tree, knocking off flies, pushing open a gate, lending to a friend to encourage their horse past the newly cut-down tree... Also, I've encountered a flasher out hacking, so I like to be mildly armed in case I encounter him again.

In the school, it's useful to put a a little pressure on her shoulders to remind her not to let them fall in/out, or just a tap if she's not quite responding to my leg.

I'm more likely to tap my boot than the horse, because I find it's just as effective, with the benefit that a) I don't feel bad about hitting her, and b) it's easier to reach. I've only given a belt once, and that was when she started to go down to roll in a puddle. Then it was grab the neck strap, pony club kick and thwack. (Although the thwack was on a waterproof hi-viz quarter sheet, so it was more noise than anything.)

Snowfilly

Visit site
I won’t hack a horse out without a schooling whip, no matter how good the horse is. Never know when there might be an emergency situation that calls for backup aids and it’s much better to carry it than wish you had it. Also useful for moving branches and gates, blackberries in season, flies, loose dogs and oncoming traffic and if it comes to it, dangerous people - I know of someone who was pulled off a small pony and raped.

I use one a lot for in hand work and it’s the most useful thing for lateral stuff as you can touch different legs and give very precise aids as to what you want moved. This carries on under saddle so I do most schooling with one. I honestly don’t believe you can school to a very high level without one, as you need more aids than your body is capable of - I can’t use Spurs because of a damaged ankle that left me without much control over that foot so the whip has to do double duty!

Which only leaves jumping and frankly I often carry one for that just because I’m in the habit of it. I can’t remember the last time I used it jumping though.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
My previous horse Jacob would stop at nothing to deck me if I so much as tapped him on the shoulder or flicked him on the bum for any reason.. And I mean bronc, rear, buck, spin until you were no longer on his back. So I just didn't use one, but he was very off the leg in all situations, even if pratting about.
Anthropomorphising, but in my head I just figured he demanded mutual respect, he was never naughty in a bad spot likt the road or similar, or ever behind the leg and in return I didn't use a whip nor a shanked bit nor any other training aid he didn't like..

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
My last real abuse case rescue (<<< over there in my avatar) who was seriously beaten and absolutely terrified as a young horse, only became really rideable when I had got him to the point where I could firstly work in hand and then ride with a whip, touch him with it and he knew that I wasn't going to belt the hell out of him. He really grew in confidence when I started to wear spurs and could refine the aids even more. I've never hit a horse on the shoulder with a whip, or ever laid into one with intent to punish; having a horse that is afraid of whips makes it 100 times harder to train - and should make whoever makes it afraid ashamed of themselves.

Ratface

Visit site
But I like my sparkly pink unicorn shaped Whip ???

I actually rarely carry one. I carry a show cane because it is etiquette. At work if I am on a lazy horse doing a bit of work I will take one but very rarely use it. Most know when you have one in your hand and work more enthusiastically without actually even so much as lifting it. When I do use it it is very much a smack down the shoulder as we jump off to get them strong into the bridle and working up the hill. I have only ever turned it backwards and belted a backside once. And he was a nappy effer! Would not go anywhere near thes gallop, just planted, so he got a couple round the backside and off he went.

The padded racing whips are designed more for sound than for anything else. Though I do have an unpopular opinion in racing. We have a series called the Hands and Heels series for conditional/apprentice jockeys. They carry sticks but they are not allowed to use them. They can "show" them in a Driving finish but they are not to make contact with the horse. If your horse suddenly jinks or drifts across the track you can use the stick down the shoulder to correct the direction of travel. In jumping you can again use it down the shoulder once or twice before a fence IF the horse is backing off, running down the fence etc to keep the forward momentum up. It is a safety feature. Every time a stick is used in these races the Jockey has to give a perfectly valid reason for it and it has to be obvious why it has been used. They are not allowed to hit them behind the saddle. I would like ALL racing to be like this. Not just the young jockey races. To me the stick is a safety feature in a race.
Would that every rider had your knowledge and experience.
I've had extremely sharp words with some riders/owners/random people concerning this .
Insults and opinions were exchanged.
No one got hit though.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I use a schooling whip when I’m working Mimosa in-hand.

I use it in place of my leg to send her forward (never need more that to touch) while I’m walking next to her.

I then use it to correct things in the outline like asking her to engage her back end more, lift her belly, bring a leg more forward etc. by touching or tickling.

When we leg-yield and half pass in-hand, I keep the whip down the length of her side and it helps her to understand to move across. In shoulder-in, travers, renvers, I can tap the shoulder or quarters if I need to show her what I want.

When ridden, I will keep a whip nearby and use it if I need to clarify anything or “back up” my leg aids so she can connect what was taught on the ground to what my leg and seat are asking in the saddle. I do want her to go just as nicely off my leg aids alone so I don’t rely on it for every session, just to teach the movement and make sure she understands what I’m asking for.

If whips are taught like that, then I think they can be very constructive.

If Mimosa does something “wrong” then persistence and repetition is more effective that the whip. She’s a very genuine mare so if she’s unhappy and doesn’t want to do something, it’s usually because you’re not communicating clearly and you’ve confused her.

I realise not all horses are like her but I do think knowing horse is key to knowing when to apply any kind of pressure. Whips to admonish don’t work if the horse doesn’t know what the right behavior is, or if the horse is confused about what you want from it.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I haven't carried one for years and years but I've just bought a hi viz one for hacking out.

I see it as another tool to wave at ignorant drivers, but also I sometimes have to scramble on to my pony from a rock, gate post etc so I figure I can use the whip to help guide him in to position so I don't need to take a flying leap! ?

Polos Mum

Visit site
The old fashioned saying is that if you carry a whip you won't need to use it. I think nag nag nag with the leg constantly is more 'cruel' than one tap with a stick (but I am old fashioned).

I carry one but I've smacked dogs and the front of too close car windscreens more than I've tapped my horse. Hitting cars makes a good noise so I recommend you practice to get horse used to the noise. If a car is so close I can hit it with my stick they deserve a fright.

i also use it to push gates open / closed, push branches out of the way and I've tried (badly) to hook fallen gloves / etc off the floor.

I would recommend everyone tries hitting themselves with their stick - mine makes a lot of noise but not much feel. But you can then judge what is the same impact as using your leg.

If I want a "pay attention to me" reaction then I will ting it quite hard on my boot which makes a good noise without any feel at all.

Hallo2012

Visit site
on my 7yo i don't carry one schooling as he is reactive to leg and i don't need it.

i do carry one on the 4yo atm as babies do weird things and i think its best to have the option there if needed.

always carry one hacking as they are both stallions and again its always best to have it there in case its needed (never been needed but if something really odd happened and i felt they weren't focusing on my aids id rather be able to swiftly back it up and stop it escalating) AND in case of ignorant dog owners letting loose dogs harass the horses!

suestowford

Visit site
I usually carry one as back up, but it's only an aid, to be used lightly if needed. I never use it to admonish the horse.

It's most useful in horse fly season, to brush off the beggars.
Yes, a long bendy dressage stick will even reach around my pony's enormous belly to scrape the ones off under there :)
Also handy for going up brambly tracks, so you can lift the spiky stems above you & your pony.

huskydamage

Visit site
I dont use them but both my horses are very forward going and I don't like loads of stuff in my hands. I carry a fly whisk in the summer and that's annoying enough! I can't see a problem using one jumping/xc etc if horse is being lazy/stoppy though better than crashing into things!
I do think some people use them OTT though. I'm not sure if my horse is being a drama queen because I don't use one, but I've had it several times at clinics and once hacking where someone has reprimanded their horse and the smack was so loud it has spooked mine! The hacking one the rider wasn't even that close to me but it was so hard/loud echoed across the road and my horse freaked out. I don't understand that at all.

Skib

sites.google.com
If one shares, one has little choice. We have to adapt to all sorts of tack and equipment according to the owner and the horse. My old share was hacked out with a schooling whip and she hated dogs. I was happy wirth that. But my current share must not be ridden with a schooling whip, It has to be a short crop.
I used to carry a horn hunting cane out hacking as it was useful for gates etc, but I wouldn't have used it on the horse
When I was little, my brother was allowed to ride and I was not. He had a horn handled riding crop.
I was so envious.
But these days is the horn thought to be a good thing?
I have considered buying one but then thought it was silly.