Whip/crop/stick - Outdated or legitimate aid?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Two horses, no whip, martingale or spurs. No issues. Use your seat and head, train properly and none are a necessity.
Good for you; depends entirely on circumstances, individual horses, and what you are trying to achieve. It is not possible to do many of the more advanced things without a whip for guidance and clarity of aids.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Good for you; depends entirely on circumstances, individual horses, and what you are trying to achieve. It is not possible to do many of the more advanced things without a whip for guidance and clarity of aids.
And the risk level you are willing to take - when I am ground schooling a baby 18hh hot warmblood I wouldn’t like to go into the exercises without one to wave to get them to move away out of my space … i have never had to come into contact with the animal more than light pressure akin to pushing with a hand or a quick flick but I wouldn’t like to be there without some kind of arm extension

Fred66

Visit site
Absolutely agree, it’s the same as someone saying I wouldn’t use that bit it’s far too harsh. In soft hands a stronger bit is far better than yanking on the mouth with a snaffle.