Who do you insure with?

VioletStripe

Visit site
So as I'm horse hunting for the first time, it's suddenly dawned on me that I will obviously have to start thinking about insurance - something I've never really had to consider before, and it's compulsory at the RS/livery yard I'll be keeping the horse at that it's insured for third party liability. Anyway, to summarise, who do you insure with? Thanks for reading :) xx

TicTac

Visit site
Sorry - only just come back on here!

Thanks very much, will be taking a look at them then! :) xx

Most definitely do not bother with E & L, false economy and they are not favoured by vets.

Good ones to look at are NFU, KBIS and Pet Plan. Alway remember with insurance, you get what you pay for!

unbalanced

Visit site
Petplan - I have claimed over £7k this year in vet's bills and they have paid up without too many problems so I would recommend them. They also do the best veteran insurance which is great for me as my pony is 21 - most companies would limit my cover to injury only now and Petplan still insure her for illness until she is 25.
I have also heard good things about NFU.
Avoid E&L like the plague. Apparently they are cheap but most vets won't accept payment from them - you have to pay first then do battle with E&L to get your money back yourself. My vet recommends against them.

Molly'sMama

Visit site
Animal Friends !
don't really know whethor (sp?) they are good or not , apparently are much better now , but have never had to make a claim :D

Firefly*

Visit site
I have insurance for vets fees with KBIS and my third party liability is through BHS Gold Membership. It pays more than the insurance company.

sessierose

Visit site
I used to be with NFU and they paid out no fuss when i had a big claim. The premiums were too high when quoting for my new horse so went with Petplan this time, they're very cheap, but can't say what they are like to claim with.

LuckyLaneRider

Visit site
E&L - Have always been happy with their service (*touch wood*) :)

Do not use E&L! I was warned about E&L but decided to avoid everybodys warnings as thought i had read through the policy correctly & their price was reasonable ect. However just last week i needed to make a claim for some physio & vet treatment for one of my horses who is fully insured with them but E&L would not pay out! The way that they word their policy is very clever & they have a lot of ways to get around paying out! Will be changing my policy & not using them again!

Ella19

Visit site
Try Shearwater too, they always come out the cheapest for me, I couldn't find anyone who said anything negative against them, always had brilliant customer service BUT I haven't had to make a claim yet!

Kat

Visit site
I have public liability with the bhs as it is by far cheapest. Currently getting quotes for vets fees cover etc. Shearwater were cheapest but with high excesses. Stoneways and amtrust came in next at virtually the same then kbis about £40 a year more but I think I'm going to go with them as they seem to get good reviews and have a good level of cover......

JackyN

New User
Visit site
Exited about looking for a horse and doing all my homework now :D. Next on my list is insurance...

I’ve read through the Pet plan policy details and can’t find if your conditions are paid for each year, assume it’s like my dog policy he is diabetic and I can claim this every year just pay the excess, its certainly been a life saver financially and wouldn't think of not having insurance in the future.

I have always had no problems with claiming for my dog however because he is diabetic he had to have his eyes done and that was a new claim even though the diabetes was the cause of him going blind.

Can anyone confirm if they know if this is the same for equine insurance with Petplan

Ladybird

Visit site
Petplan x2.

NFU are fantastic but wacked their premiums up this year.

E&L are one to bargepole. Your vet won't be keen on letting you wack up a big bill if anything happens and you're expecting them to pay out!

MissChaos

Visit site
Another one in favour of KBIS (albeit not having claimed but very impressed with their service, cover and pricing so far). We've not had experience of E&L for about 15 years (when they were decent enough) and have to say from all I've read and heard both first and second hand, I'm glad of it. Would not go near.

3CVA

Visit site
Do NOT touch E & L.

Ive heard very good about NFU, Petlan, KBIS, Ive recently gone with Carriage House, as a friend on my yard has been with them for year and made many claims and shes never had a problem with them.

susie2193

Visit site
I've been with NFU for years and no problems. When I looked to change, due to premium increases, my vets recommended I stayed with them.

Don't know if it's true but I have heard if you have an ongoing claim with Petplan then they need the vet to fill in a clai form with each invoice. My vets charge £12 for doing this and it could add up.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
Do not use E&L! I was warned about E&L but decided to avoid everybodys warnings as thought i had read through the policy correctly & their price was reasonable ect. However just last week i needed to make a claim for some physio & vet treatment for one of my horses who is fully insured with them but E&L would not pay out! The way that they word their policy is very clever & they have a lot of ways to get around paying out! Will be changing my policy & not using them again!

Do NOT touch E & L.

Ive heard very good about NFU, Petlan, KBIS, Ive recently gone with Carriage House, as a friend on my yard has been with them for year and made many claims and shes never had a problem with them.

Nothing WRONG with E&L they process claims within 3 days and payed out with 2 weeks.Ive heard bad things about Petplan,NFU etc.

PippiPony

Chocolatier and Greyhound lover
Visit site
E & L did not pay up for me.
Pet Plan were worse than usless when my horse was PTS & refused to pay up.
KBIS were brilliant & paid out over £7,500 for 3 incidents in one year, no quibble.
Now with Shearwaters & so far theyhave been good & premiums not gone up that much this year :)

elsiex

Visit site
Pet plan. I originally wanted to insure with NFU but the premium was over £10 dearer for the same cover.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I heard that NFU hiked their prices up. E&L put mine up but I complained and now my policy is the same as it was,but horse value increased.
People say avoid them,but theyre not that bad.They processed my claim within 3 days and I recieved a cheque within 2 weeks. There are problems with others too.

VioletStripe

Visit site
Insurance is a sticky business it seems! :p Thank you for all your suggestions again, I've got a substantial list now :D Petplan covered our dog and we found them good, but I don't know how different they'll be with the horses! :) xx

aimsymc

Visit site
I have just insured my new girl with scottish equestrian as got good quote. Had my last horsey insured with petplan and the once i claimed they paid out quickly and without any hassle at all.

Damnation

Visit site
Petplan, as reccomended by someone who works at my vetinary practice as they have an agreement with Petplan and it apparently makes it alot easier and quicker to lodge and claim and for them to pay out!
Would never insure pony for LOU or PTS - last mare was PTS, and also fitted the LOU category. Previous insurance broker would not pay out full stop. Had to forefit the money.

Reindeer Rider

Visit site
I would recommend Carriagehouse very highly. Horsey people that work there, instant decisions. Very good indeed.

AVOID, avoid, Avoid Stoneways, I have had very bad experience of them. You have been warned.

liveryblues

Visit site
Have heard so much bad stuff about E & L, I would never use them. I was with NFU but because of massive price hike am now going with SEIB.
If you are BD reigistered you get a discount as well. All though the quote I have is not for our BD horse but will be moving to them when his renews!
Currently use EIS for BD horse who have paid up every time without quibble!