Who doesn't ride in a snaffle?

SNORKEY

Visit site
Ive always ridden my boy in a pelham with a copper mouth and a peanut, its what he goes best in, I used to show him in it but since giving up showing a few years ago i kept him in it, plus i like riding with double reins.
He's never settled in a snaffle bit and he's got a very light mouth, as i dont have heavy hands.
Anyway he's up for sale and everyone has asked if he's snaffle mouthed, its like they dont believe that he just goes well in it and that he must be strong!
Does anyone else not ride in snaffle and not because they have a strong horse?

EmmaCA

Visit site
I ride my cob in a Pelham with double reins. He's an absolute saint apart from the odd occasion out hunting when I need a bit of extra strength. He also tends to lean on a snaffle and I find, like you, that he just goes well in a Pelham.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Ive always ridden my boy in a pelham with a copper mouth and a peanut, its what he goes best in, I used to show him in it but since giving up showing a few years ago i kept him in it, plus i like riding with double reins.
He's never settled in a snaffle bit and he's got a very light mouth, as i dont have heavy hands.
Anyway he's up for sale and everyone has asked if he's snaffle mouthed, its like they dont believe that he just goes well in it and that he must be strong!

My boy goes in a snaffle for schooling but when cross country. I have him in a pelham not because he is strong but he could broncs.

I ride him in a single rein with roundings

Tried him in the 3 ring dutch gag but I find it a was a waste of time had no effect, Makes no difference

Shettie

Visit site
None ridden at the moment but use to be in a dutch gag with double reins, so I could ride off snaffle the whole time but had 2nd rein there for backup just incase, wen't through a lot of bits and reschooling but in the end was the only thing she was truely settled in, and gave me the option for more if needed.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
Waterford gag on top and bottom rings with bit roundings! due to no breaks! she used to bite down on her mullen mouth Pelham, so had to swap for something she couldn't bite on! much more control

Visit site
My fell goes in pelham purely because he leans and is very on the forehand when first back in work.

I would always ask if they go in a snaffle and if not why not and it would depend upon the answer as to whether I would pursue the horse or not.

rachyblue

Visit site
Snaffle mouthed is such a grey term, there are snaffles and there are snaffles, it doesn't really mean anything imo

somethingillremember

Visit site
If your horse is happy in a pelham , stay in it .. If he wasnt happy in his bit there would be obvious "battles" (leaning ,open mouth etc etc ) and therefore a flash/grackle/drop put on . Glad you also ride with 2 reins , by putting roundings on you loose the point of the 2 rings for the reins also the clear signal from each rein . Stick to your guns , anyone who is serious about the horse will see that he goes well in it . A happy comfortable horse is a pleasure to ride and own. Good luck with your sale.

icemaiden113

Visit site
All mine (9) are hacked out in loose ring snaffles no matter how strong.

However for there other events the bits can vary. Being in a pelham for a reason shouldn't put people off.

be positive

Visit site

It would depend on what you are selling him as, if just a happy hack maybe a pelham is no problem but if he is going to be a competition horse and possibly expected to do a dressage test in the future most people will want to see the horse in a snaffle. If he goes correctly there should be no reason he will not accept a snaffle with a similar mouthpiece to the pelham, I would expect to be able to try a horse in a snaffle in an enclosed area if it is described as well schooled and an ex show horse, I can see why your potentials viewers are put off if this is not possible.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Snaffles are not the "kind" bits people believe they are and many horses go much better in something with a curb action (i.e pelhams, kimblewicks, double bridles, etc.). I ride all mine in either a curb or a double for their "day jobs" - being 17th century or medieval horses in a display - and only use a snaffle for mooching about on a hack or just for loosening work. ANY bit is only as mild as the hands on the other end of the reins; a snaffle can be a horrible nutcracker if not released and used sensitively and has a very indistinct action at the best of times.

Wiz201

Visit site
I've ridden before in a pelham, the dales pony apparently went better in a pelham despite not being strong. I've also ridden in a bitless bridle on another horse. I tend to ride fairly loose rein unless I'm turning or I need to stop.

*sprinkles*

Visit site
I don't - my horse goes far better in a Pelham. He has a very unsteady head carriage in a snaffle and does a lot of fiddling around and chomping. He also way over salivates which, for me is a clear sign he is uncomfortable. I kept trying to change him back to a snaffle as was always led to believe that's what we should all be striving for :)rolleyes:) - I've tried every type under the sun! But as of this week I gave up! I'm listening to him rather than others and leaving him in his sweet iron with a copper lozenge Pelham which he seems happiest in.

Shantara

Visit site
Ned's in this
6206d__07651_std.jpg

When he's being good, I could easily ride him in a headcollar, even for fast work, but he still has his sticky moments where I do need a bit more strength. I used to ride in a 3 ring gag on the 2nd hole, but swapped to the bit above :)

9tails

Visit site
My horse came with a kimblewick and grackle, she isn't strong but felt it in the kimblewick. She goes much better in a Myler comfort snaffle and cavesson noseband. It took me a couple of years to find the right one and I have a cupboard full of different bits.

She's a joy in a Dr Cooks when we're on our own though I wouldn't take her cross country in it as it's far too easy to ignore when her blood is up.

Tobiano

Visit site
Really interesting point OP! I rode my mare in a rubber pelham with 2 reins, but when I had to sell her and look for another horse, I only looked at horses described as 'snaffle mouthed' / 'snaffle for everything'. Guess that makes me a bit hypocritical but I dont suppose I am the only one. !

Barleyboo

Visit site
My horse has a pelham. He's never so much as hinted at running away and he isn't strong in a snaffle but he was never really happy in his mouth and was always fiddling and snatching. After trying various types of snaffle I borrowed a pelham to try and he just loved it. I've come to the conclusion he doesn't like joints.

JustMeThen

Visit site
My fell goes in pelham purely because he leans and is very on the forehand when first back in work.

I would always ask if they go in a snaffle and if not why not and it would depend upon the answer as to whether I would pursue the horse or not.

Probably a silly question but would you recommend a pelham for a leaner? My boy's a complete leaner, to the point he can be like concrete in my right hand. I had him in a Myler kimblewick for a bit but it was too much bit and he even learned to lean on that. I've been working really hard on lightening my hands and riding him up from behind and got him in a lozenze-middle snaffle for a while but need more for jumping! Might try a pelham, although I rode in a three-ring gag with grakle today and it seemed much better...