Who feeds all year round?

Damnation

Visit site
Just out of curiosity really?

I personally don't usually and my horse has always been fine, but having moved yards last Saturday and with this dry weather her feet are very cracked and getting brittle (first summer barefoot) so I am contemplating feeding her incase she is lacking in everything. (The grazing at new yard isnt wonderful).

Is there anyone else who stops feed in summer or do people generally feed all year round?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I used stop in spring, but my mini has such bad pollen allergy, I need to stick stuff in a bucket twice a day for her, so FLF is also getting a handful of rubbish to keep her happy :rolleyes3:

Damnation

Visit site
I used stop in spring, but my mini has such bad pollen allergy, I need to stick stuff in a bucket twice a day for her, so FLF is also getting a handful of rubbish to keep her happy :rolleyes3:

I usually do too otherwise mare looks like a beached whale (she doesn't get ridden) but I now have an arena so I can lunge her. The grass is on marshland and poor so I am thinking a handful of Alfa A with a glug of oil and a multivitamin won't harm her to help her feet a bit!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We give everyone at least a handful of Grazeon, then add whatever each individual needs. That way we keep the routine going and they come in each evening, without fuss.

_HP_

Visit site
I never used to because they were out on plenty of grazing but now they are restricted they get a balancer

saalsk

Visit site
I do - but in summer it is a mere handful of HappyHoof and some veg ( he likes green veg, the odd carrot, bit of apple etc ) simply to keep a routine, and to add supplements for feet. I am sure he realises that in winter the tub trug is full, and appears twice daily, and in summer is just once, and he has to chase the meagre offerings around to eat them, but he is just happy to see a bucket !

Last edited:

Makemineacob

Visit site
We give everyone at least a handful of Grazeon, then add whatever each individual needs. That way we keep the routine going and they come in each evening, without fuss.

Exactly what we do, just a small handful of feed with any additions and they all come in looking forward to their bite sized dinner and we have no fuss either.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I think about it the other way round so I start with a basic very small feed for protein and minerals and a little linseed for the omega oils all year round then in winter they get extra calories if they need more weight.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Yes, I always have. Although it is just once a day in summer. Most get one scoop of pure easy (so grass and straw chaff plus balancer). One also has half to one scoop of conditioning nuts because he drops weight easily even on grass (he's elderly). I'm considering dropping my mare's feed down to half a scoop though as she has too much energy. I find it hard to believe that a non molassed chaff and balancer could be responsible though. More likely it's the grass. I like to feed every day so I can be sure they are getting all the nutrients they need, and also because it gives me a good chance to check them all over.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I just give a handful of light chaff, a measure of formula4feet and scoop of equimins flexijoint for summer and in winter the same but with a scoop of the chaff and a small amount of fast fibre..

HashRouge

Visit site
I will if mine will eat it, only a tiny bit of speedibeet and a handful of chaff to put her supplements. She usually refuses it as soon as the spring grass comes through but she's still gobbling it down atm so we'll see. She's retired so doesn't need feeding for work and her weight is fine in the summer, so it's only for the supplements really.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
He gets alfa-a with calm and condition in winter in 2 feeds, and just a handful of alfa-a in summer, 1 feed, so he doesn't feel left out when the others get a bucket feed.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Two tiny feeds of plain oat straw chaff with their vits and mins, micronized linseed and salt all year round, whether they're living out or not.

I check them over twice a day anyway, so tbh it's easier if they come over for their feeds than me having to go and fetch them!

only_me

Visit site
Yep!

If he's not in work he gets a half scoop mix am/pm, with supplements. When he was on box/yard rest I got some chaff to mix in because of the bute & abs on top of his supplements.
Currently he's out in field and isn't coming up for his morning feed (his choice!) so atm is only getting a half scoop mix at night :)

When in work he gets a scoop in am & pm.

AppyLover

Visit site
This year I am and i'm pretty sure after this weekend my nice summers of no feed bills are over :( My boys starting work this year, growing like a weed and the grass in my section is taking abit longer to come in at the moment so looking far to thin for my liking and hes going to need the extra energy. Chaff, Balancer, Linseed & Garlic

MissJessica

Visit site
Same feed all year around and plenty of exercise.
Native pony in winter daily allowance of Topspec lite balancer, daily turnout and ample hay in an evening.
Summer 24/7 turnout in good grazing with same amount of balancer to ensure he gets all his vits.
Like to keep feeding simple.

Mariposa

Visit site
Ours are fed all year round - even though they're not playing at the moment they still get a small breakfast, means we can give them their garlic and supplements (and they act like we're starving them if we are even a few minutes late!)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
For those that feed garlic it really isn't good for them as it disrupts the important gut bacteria and does nothing good really. See saved you some money ;)

Luci07

Visit site
Yes because mine is a 17.1 china pony. He is out at night only currently as I am trying to avoid a ERU flare so gets a scoop of alfa a oil plus linseed and turmeric in the morning. Finishing up the sugar beet and will start getting a supplement now he is off the condition and soak.

matt_m

Visit site
Shocked so many people feed through summer - mine get nothing in the summer, plenty of grass and all fat!

ponies4ever

Visit site
yes she's fed 1/2 chaff 1/2 pony nuts twice daily (no idea what their names are thats how i refer to them!) however grazing isn't good so she gets haylage all year round in the fields swell. haha i bet most of you are thinking she's obese but she is worked 6 days a week and so certainly isn't chubby!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I feed through the summer to give medication/supplements. Just fast fibre and chaff. As others have said it also maintains a routine. I also feed a small amount of chaff before riding, just to keep the gut acid down.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Mine gets fed all year round. He has to stay in at night during the summer or he gets too fat. It's also the yard routine. He only gets Hi-fi light, balancer and oats and his Sarc-ex. But he looks forward to it plus, I ride regularly and compete regularly. I like him having the extra bit of spark the oats give him :)

only_me

Visit site
Shocked so many people feed through summer - mine get nothing in the summer, plenty of grass and all fat!

Depends on workload really - Billy has lived out 24/7 since I got him & he's been on the same feed for the past 5 years lol. Same routine, just feed according to work!

Eg. A full scoop of the same mix twice a day when he's in full work. Out 24/7.
image_zps48da9a4b.jpg

And fat lard, on less than half a scoop of the same mix twice a day but in no work. In 24/7
image_zpsdixrzphg.jpeg

Both pics taken in summer! It's not really the amount of food or forage - depends on workload! Feed according to work and you can't really go too far wrong! :)

NZJenny

Visit site

I'm another who feeds all year around - it's not about keeping them fat, it's more about keeping them healthy. I have to restrict grass in summer, otherwise they get too fat, but they are still grazing the same patch 24/7, with the same soil profile etc. So a bit of chaff with some salt and a nothing special vit/min mix is (I think)necessary. Plus one is usually in work so they will usually need a bit more than just grass.

Enfys

Visit site
Oh yes, 3 feeds a day, supplements, sugar beet, hay, good grass, she is a fussy eater (will eat something one week and walk away from it the next) in full work and a terribly bad doer to boot.
Naturally hyper pony, she is soaked in sweat within 10 minutes of getting out of the drive, everything I pump in she works off, keeping her from looking hippy is a nightmare. She is what she is :(