Who is trying to sell a horse/s at the moment? And who is buying?!

Paddydou

Visit site
'Sensible' from whose point of view? What do you think of as 'ridiculous'? I have a couple of home-breds to make that size, either just-backed and hacking quietly or in the process of being backed. But they cost to GET to that stage. When you consider that it costs at LEAST £2,000 to get that sort of youngster to weaning, you keep it for another 3 years, and then put in time and money backing it properly, it HAS to be priced at £4,500+ or the breeder is losing money (as opposed to just not making anything on 4 years work and investment!)
This just got me thinking. For a young horse to bring on and go to some semi serious competitions I would expect to pay around £6k. For a young "Happy Hacker" to do some RC activities and local shows I would look more around the £3k mark which really wouldn't cover the cost of breeding.

I don't think its unreasonable from a buyers point of veiw but from the sellers (serious sellers who make a living from it) how on earth do you make any money? Todays market is one where more redundancies are expected the vast majority of the population has serious debts (£10k+) on credit cards and loans (I am excluding morgages), lending has been drastically cut... How on earth do you cope with it?

mystiandsunny

Visit site
This just got me thinking. For a young horse to bring on and go to some semi serious competitions I would expect to pay around £6k. For a young "Happy Hacker" to do some RC activities and local shows I would look more around the £3k mark which really wouldn't cover the cost of breeding.

Now you see I have a young pony, bought as a project so I'd eventually have enough for a bigger youngster, who should go on past foxhunter BS, and is adv at £4500 (in common with other similar youngsters of that size) - but only had one call so far and they decided she was too small. I could drop the price by £1000 and just about break even for her costs from when I bought her last year, but any less and I might as well have popped the money in the bank and saved it!

silverstar

Visit site
Same but I am looking for a mare. Something that I can do a bit of all rounder stuff on and is reasonably sensible, don't mind a few quirks and mareish behaviour, pref a nice middleweight type. But all I can find are Thoroughbred geldings!

Same here. Im looking for a gelding pref. but not really fussed and will have a mare but want a middleweight TBx. Having tried a TB I now definitely want a cross. The odd ones I have seen were sold within a day or so, gutted.

Paddydou

Visit site
I could drop the price by £1000 and just about break even for her costs from when I bought her last year, but any less and I might as well have popped the money in the bank and saved it!

Your all mad!

In the nicest possible way of course! ;)

I hope you find the right home for her.

Horses - I just can not see any way of making money out of them unless you are producing and supplying the basics such as feed and bedding etc.

DollyCoblet

Visit site
I have to agree, I have a 16.2hh homebred mare who I had proffesionally broken, she hacks alone or in company wonderfully, has started schooling and has a good prospect in any field, most probably jumping she loose schools at 1.30M but I am no jumper so havent tried her ridden!
She is only on at 3k and no interest, just dont think anything is selling but people still dream of the prices you used to get for horses 2-3 years ago.
She has probably cost me with breaking about 7K I know i am loosing out but what do you do?!

ihatework

Visit site
I've got one that I have half heartedly been mumbling about selling for the past couple of months, that I am just about to start making a proper effort to sell, think the adverts will go live in next couple of weeks. If he goes then great, if not he is so nice that he is no bother to hang on to. Full up 15hh MW Irish gelding, hunted in Ireland, easy as you like to handle, fun to jump (popping 3ft sj / XC) won his last SJ & Dressage outings. We'll see what the market is really like as I've actually decided to up his price a bit to try and attract a more competitive home.

galaxy

Visit site
I've got one that I have half heartedly been mumbling about selling for the past couple of months, that I am just about to start making a proper effort to sell, think the adverts will go live in next couple of weeks. If he goes then great, if not he is so nice that he is no bother to hang on to. Full up 15hh MW Irish gelding, hunted in Ireland, easy as you like to handle, fun to jump (popping 3ft sj / XC) won his last SJ & Dressage outings. We'll see what the market is really like as I've actually decided to up his price a bit to try and attract a more competitive home.

I want a competitive home for my 15hh mare too... But everyone seems to want big horses. So frustrating cause I can't believe everyone is 6ft and needs them! Mines got the scope and paces to do everything the bigger ones will do but I don't think people will even consider it. :(

clairec1154

Visit site
I think it is all about looking in the rightplace at the right time. My friend is giving up horses and has her 16.2 all rounder gelding for sale at a sensible price, so they are out there if your looking to buy!

alpha1

Visit site
I understand that people who breed to make a living need to price their horses to make a profit BUT there is a reason horses are not selling and in my opinion its because people are not taking in to account the overall economic crisis when pricing their horses.

The price of houses has dropped, the motor industry is suffering, small businesses are closing and as mentioned above we as a nation are in huge amounts of debt. It is unrealistic to expect that the horse industry will be the only one that isnt effected.

ladyt25

Visit site
Well, I bought one just over a week ago having been 'browsing' but not seriously looking. However, he is only a 15mth old to make 16hh ish and I thought he was a good (price for what he could turn out to be. However, he may well not end up to be what I want but I am prepared to take that risk. I cannot afford to buy a 'ready made' horse as I do think a lot of people expect a lot for a horse that's not done anything.

I think it's fair enough expecting to sell for £4K plus IF your horse has been out and about and doing stuff but to expect that just because that is what you have spent on it (feeing etc etc) isn't something a buyer sees or to be honest cares about, they want to get something for what seems to be appropriate money for what it is. Horses cost money we all know that but using that as the reason for putting what some will see as an unrealistic price isn't going to make the horse sell.

Paddydou

Visit site
I want a competitive home for my 15hh mare too... But everyone seems to want big horses. So frustrating cause I can't believe everyone is 6ft and needs them! Mines got the scope and paces to do everything the bigger ones will do but I don't think people will even consider it. :(

I am just fat ;)

If I were a show jumper I would prefer something smaller because they can turn alot quicker and fit in smaller gaps during the jump offs. Perhaps you could use that as a selling point rather than look at it as a negative.

Latiano

Visit site
I think it's fair enough expecting to sell for £4K plus IF your horse has been out and about and doing stuff but to expect that just because that is what you have spent on it (feeing etc etc) isn't something a buyer sees or to be honest cares about, they want to get something for what seems to be appropriate money for what it is. Horses cost money we all know that but using that as the reason for putting what some will see as an unrealistic price isn't going to make the horse sell.

totally agree, its a buyers market and your horse is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it!

Arkmiido

Visit site
'Sensible' from whose point of view? What do you think of as 'ridiculous'? I have a couple of home-breds to make that size, either just-backed and hacking quietly or in the process of being backed. But they cost to GET to that stage. When you consider that it costs at LEAST £2,000 to get that sort of youngster to weaning, you keep it for another 3 years, and then put in time and money backing it properly, it HAS to be priced at £4,500+ or the breeder is losing money (as opposed to just not making anything on 4 years work and investment!)

Fortunately, I'm finding my backed and riding quietly 3-4 year olds ARE selling - at prices that just about allow me to break even! It's the younger ones who are 'sticking' - very few people re buying yearlings and 2 year olds - and if youhave to run them ALL on, you end up with a lot of horses and huge haylage bills!
Well said. I'd actually be wary of a well bred youngster who had been professionally backed and a good general start in life, that wasn't around this price mark, unless there were pretty exceptional circumstances. Sadly, what is genuinely costs to keep and produce quality young horses isn't what people are always prepared to pay - guess that's why youngstock gets imported from, say, Ireland, where its 'grown' far more cheaply, pronounced backed, and stuck on a ferry. I guess the reality is that you get what you pay for.

Kat

Visit site
Thought I'd post a bit about what I am looking for in case any of you sellers are selling something that fits the bill.

I've been looking for ages, (before xmas) with varying levels of enthusiasm. I have to say I've not done much looking recently because I've become very disheartened about what is out there, and because I've got a lot on and it is tough to find time to go viewing horses.

I'm looking for something 16hh plus suitable to be ridden by me and my husband. Ideally a nice MW ISH or similar. Preferably not over 17hh, preferably a mare but will consider geldings.

I'm not looking for a very green youngster but don't mind schooling something with limited experience. Competition record isn't important as realistically we aren't going to be out competing straight away, but something that will travel and behave reasonably when taken out in future. We want to do a bit of everything at RC sort of level. Needs to be reasonably sane as DH can be nervous but doesn't have to be a plod.

DH has specified no full TBs.

lauraheads

Visit site
I need to sell my mare and foal - very sadly =(

I bet I havent got a hope in hell in this market and they are going so cheap as well. Hopefully a nice home will come along though =)

Tinks81

Visit site
I'm looking for a quiet unbacked/just backed 3yo 16.2hh + and can I find something with a leg in each corner for sensible money...not a chance!

Prices are ridiculous!

i know of 2 for about 4.5 with very good SJ linews both broken x

galaxy

Visit site
Thought I'd post a bit about what I am looking for in case any of you sellers are selling something that fits the bill.

I've been looking for ages, (before xmas) with varying levels of enthusiasm. I have to say I've not done much looking recently because I've become very disheartened about what is out there, and because I've got a lot on and it is tough to find time to go viewing horses.

I'm looking for something 16hh plus suitable to be ridden by me and my husband. Ideally a nice MW ISH or similar. Preferably not over 17hh, preferably a mare but will consider geldings.

I'm not looking for a very green youngster but don't mind schooling something with limited experience. Competition record isn't important as realistically we aren't going to be out competing straight away, but something that will travel and behave reasonably when taken out in future. We want to do a bit of everything at RC sort of level. Needs to be reasonably sane as DH can be nervous but doesn't have to be a plod.

DH has specified no full TBs.

This isn't local. But this horse will be excatly what is says on the tin

http://www.horsemart.co.uk/advert/12_yrs_2_mths_16_0_hh_grey_irish_draught_x_devon/111442

MagicMelon

Visit site
I've got my very much loved horse for sale just now, only lightly as deep down I dont really want to sell him! He's a one in a million, very genuine and very easy - got excellent BE & BSJA results. Only had 2 enquiries so far, from England but unfortunately the English don't seem to like travelling up to Scotland even if the horse is perfect for them...! If I sell him, then I'd be looking to buy a 3 or 4yo.

rowy

Visit site
i am sorta browsing/ looking.
looking for a 13.2- 15.3, 0-3 year old as a companion to eventually be backed. so far got an exmoor lined up for viewing tomorrow :p
Rang up one lady tho who bred a welsh x wb (whose name wasn't particularly known) and she had the black slightly larger one up for more than the coloured!!! shame cos i woulda fancied the black but she was insistent not below £1000. :p

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
a friend of mine is trying to sell her coloured yearling filly,tbx, she is overstocked so the little girl has to go- but its bloody hard at present to even arouse interest, never mind offers--

splash30

Visit site
I was selling and also buying both I have succeeded in.

I did make a loss on the one I was selling but he was going to a lovely home so I decided this was more important.

The one I brought was 5 mins from home after travelling the length and breth (sp?) of the country looking.

Half-Halt

Visit site
I have got my eyes open for a 14.2-15.2 all sane and sensible allrounder.

If something comes up now at the right price then brill, but if not ill continue to save :)

The prices some people ask for their horses makes my eyes pop out of my head. :p

DiamondSR

Visit site
I had my boy up for £4.5k in May, proven RC allrounder, 16hh 8yo ISH gelding. I had loads of interest then but do we think this is still a realistic price?? Have looked at what else is out there and the prices seem to be all over the place now, so it's really hard to get an idea of what to ask.

juventino

Visit site
I'm buying! It's my first horse and I'm after a c.16hh all rounder - that's suitable for someone looking for a first horse! I'm finding they're going very quickly - but I suppose a good all rounder will.