Who Leaves Wet Rugs On When Horses Are In ??

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
I never have, always swapped to their stable rugs, but last year I didn't and left them on in their stables overnight and am completely converted! They went out nice and warm in the mornings and saved a lot of time!

PennyJ

Visit site
I never have, always swapped to their stable rugs, but last year I didn't and left them on in their stables overnight and am completely converted! They went out nice and warm in the mornings and saved a lot of time!

Me too, I used to think it was slovenly to leave them in the wet t/o's, then I moved to stables that faced South west into the prevailing wind so ended up on wet and windy nights putting a t/o rug over their stable rugs to stop them getting wet through. Eventually moved to just keeping on t/o's and that's pretty much that now. I will add an underrug if its going to be cold...

honetpot

Visit site
I have no stable rugs, I buy good quality breathable turnouts and leave them on all the time. If they were out in the field the wet rug would dry when it stopped raining so why wouldn't it in a stable?

NooNoo59

Visit site
This thread has totally converted me! I had this conversation with someone at the yard the other day and as ours are turned out in the morning by the YO she finds it easier to leave turn out on, I have always changed but on reading this cant see why as this makes so much sense. Am now looking at my rug stocks so that i have a spare one of each weight so that i can change them if they get very wet, as my mate said all rugs are now breathable. When i got my first horse I had one rug which did for in and out as i could not get there every day and this made it easier for people turning in and out. I am now going to take the rug off every day, check that everything is dry and toasty underneath and then put back on the turnout and see how we go. Also going to try (unless weather disgusting) to do without necks as my appys mane has not come back after last winter in a neck all the time, stable and turnout

lyndsayberesford

Visit site
i always leave turnout rugs on unless for some odd reason they are wet underneath.

saves time from swapping rugs, keeps the horses nice and toasty without swapping from a nice warm rug to a cold rug each morning/night, and the wet on the outside of the rug dries so much better! nothing worse than finding your turnout rug still wet the next day and having to put it back on the warm horses back!

Archiepoo

Visit site
i am a bit cautious leaving rugs on because i had a horse injured really quite badly and i didnt see for 2 days so was rather nasty by the time i got the vet and so always strip rugs off and check them over.

Laura31181

New User
Visit site
I always leave mine on and have found he actually holds weight better. I assume it's because he can regulate his temperature better if I leave him to it & don't interfere. Rug always dried in about an hour. I don't remove daily, I check legs and obvious places and it's off 3 times a week when I groom/ride. At this time of year it's dark when he comes in and I wouldn't see anything if I inspected him anyway! I do chuckle when people ask how you monitor weight......do you notice if you've lost a lb when you shower daily? Weight is a management thing and is monitored over time. Not changing a rug one day won't result in you missing your horses weight loss!!

meleeka

Visit site
Depends how wet the horses are. If soaked, and cold I would never leave rugs on to dry. If just had a shower on them I would. I have spare rugs to swop them into for the next day. I agree that hanging them in the stable dries them nearly as well without the horse getting cold.

I agree. I always have a spare rug for the next day if needed but I like mine to be as comfortable and dry as possible when I tuck them in for the night. I’m certain no harm would come to them if I didn’t but it’s just personal preference.

oldie48

Visit site
I've found this thread very relevant. I have masses of Rugs, stable and turnout of all weights and fleeces but they are all Bisto sized. I gave away the rugs that belonged to my old boy as they were just gathering dust. if Rose passes the vetting, I am going to have buy a completely new wardrobe of rugs for her as Bisto's rugs will drown her. I did always leave Bisto in a wet turnout but if he came in dry, i'd change him into a suitable stable rug. I do like to be able to check my horse properly when they come in for the night but it's got me thinking about what is the best and most cost effective solution. So much to think about,

only_me

Visit site
I've found this thread very relevant. I have masses of Rugs, stable and turnout of all weights and fleeces but they are all Bisto sized. I gave away the rugs that belonged to my old boy as they were just gathering dust. if Rose passes the vetting, I am going to have buy a completely new wardrobe of rugs for her as Bisto's rugs will drown her. I did always leave Bisto in a wet turnout but if he came in dry, i'd change him into a suitable stable rug. I do like to be able to check my horse properly when they come in for the night but it's got me thinking about what is the best and most cost effective solution. So much to think about,

I've just bought the falpro complete system, which is base turnout of 100g, then you can add liners, it comes with 100g, 200g and 300g liner to add as want. it also has 2 detachable necks in different weights (not that i'll ever be using necks tbh) but seems like a really good rug for the money and it was £250 - but getting 4 rugs imo. Am selling my rhino and masta rugs to cover the cost lol.
Otherwise you could look at the bucas select which has the stay dry lining, so you can put it onto a wet horse straight away!

In general I just don't really know why you would use a stable rug in preference to a turnout in a stable, surely the wee and poo would stain the rug and seep through a stable rug?

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Always change them (regardless of whether they are wet or not) temperatures at night in the winter are usually significantly lower so in that case stable rugs will be a higher fill than turnouts.

I do use a no fill over stable rugs to prevent any seepage & limit stable stains.

Am lucky to have a good selection of stable & turnout rugs of different weights & so I can adjust according to weather conditions and allow for drying as necessary.

Bit paranoid about rugging tbh and constantly checking weather on my phone app 😬 does mean horse only needs the one clip though 🙂

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
In general I just don't really know why you would use a stable rug in preference to a turnout in a stable, surely the wee and poo would stain the rug and seep through a stable rug?

I wash stable rugs periodically. I don’t like washing turnouts as I find it affects the waterproofing.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Change them whatever, wearing something waterproof 24/7 is a great way to get fungal infections ...

I have spare turn outs if their turnouts are not dry by morning but they usually are

monte1

Visit site
I am another for leaving on, unless wet inside, so much simpler .. and so much faster than changing back over again in mornings.

only_me

Visit site
Change them whatever, wearing something waterproof 24/7 is a great way to get fungal infections ...

I have spare turn outs if their turnouts are not dry by morning but they usually are

I've never seen a horse who wears turnouts all the time get a fungal infection! If they are dry under the rug surely the chances of getting one are pretty much zero, as fungal infections need moisture?

rosiesowner

Visit site
Otherwise you could look at the bucas select which has the stay dry lining, so you can put it onto a wet horse straight away!

I'll second this, I have the select system for Chilli. The quilts are great and you can get stay dry lining or silk feel. You can get outer layers in either stable rug or turnout style. I have both though this year keeping her in the turnout outer layer purely for time savings sake! Really easy to attach and detach neck which she only wears in the field so I just whip it off when she comes in-takes about 30 seconds.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I dont stable anymore but when I did I would leave on as others have said. I'm going to go through all my surplus rugs this weekend and sell them/ bin them. A rain sheet, lightweight and some liners is all I really need now I'm away from brain washing, peer pressure livery yards and safely at home where rugs dont come out until it goes below 0 degrees!
ADVERTISEMENT​
1540393628225-foreground.png
1540393628225-foreground.png

1540393628225-static.png
1540393628225-static.png

1540393628225-background.png
1540393628225-background.png

HeyMich

Visit site
Yep, we leave t/outs on all the time. Obviously check they are dry underneath and check for any injuries etc regularly. I have a few of each weight so can swap them over if needs be. I actually sold all my stable rugs earlier in the year as I have never really used them!

only_me

Visit site
I'll second this, I have the select system for Chilli. The quilts are great and you can get stay dry lining or silk feel. You can get outer layers in either stable rug or turnout style. I have both though this year keeping her in the turnout outer layer purely for time savings sake! Really easy to attach and detach neck which she only wears in the field so I just whip it off when she comes in-takes about 30 seconds.

Can I ask if the stay dry liners have a clip attachment at the back? I can see the velcro loop bit at the front and i'm just wondering if I could attach under the falpro rug so if he's wet can still chuck it on him. He lives out so sometimes the chances of finding him dry are very very slim lol.

rosiesowner

Visit site
Can I ask if the stay dry liners have a clip attachment at the back? I can see the velcro loop bit at the front and i'm just wondering if I could attach under the falpro rug so if he's wet can still chuck it on him. He lives out so sometimes the chances of finding him dry are very very slim lol.
They have velcro that threads through a metal d-ring so you can layer several quilts if you wanted to. Each of the quilts has a d-ring on it though so you could probably clip something to it. I'm not explaining very well so if I remember this evening I'll take a photo for you!

conniegirl

Visit site

Actually given that 99% of all modern turn outs are breathable, fungal infections from a rug are highly unlikely!