Who Leaves Wet Rugs On When Horses Are In ??

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Change them whatever, wearing something waterproof 24/7 is a great way to get fungal infections ...

I have spare turn outs if their turnouts are not dry by morning but they usually are
This. Tbh changing a rug twice a day is hardly a major exercise. Plus it protects my expensive Rambo turnouts from contamination by wee and poo.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If wet I will leave them on for a bit to dry them, then change them later for stables, even if just because they are lighter for the horse to wear.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
What with this awful weather at the month, I am going to bring my boys in for the night, but was just pondering wether to leave their outdoor rugs on guessing they will dry better, or do I put their pj's on, decisions, decisions !!
Mine live in turnouts in and out so no changing here, don't like taking a rug off where they built up some warmth, and then put a freezing cold rug on. Sold nearly all my stable rugs so less washing to do after the winter so cheaper, less work changing, and cosy ponies.
1. Less hassle leaving them on
2. cosy pony
3 dry better
4. less washing
5. less absorbent for those horses lying in their poo, so cleaner horses.

All in all never had a problem done it for 10+ years sometimes by boy stasys in it for days and the only thing i do is bend neck under on dryer days

Alibear

Visit site
I change because the temperature overnight is usually lower than the temperature during the day. Can't believe I appear to be the first to post that reason?

conniegirl

Visit site
I change because the temperature overnight is usually lower than the temperature during the day. Can't believe I appear to be the first to post that reason?
i think it depends on your set up. We have 30 horses in a dutch barn set up. The few times I've been up late at night (midnight or 3am) the barn has been fairly toasty.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I change as

• I would need to remove the rug twice a day to check for injuries anyway, so just as easy to put a different one on.
  • I don't wash outdoor rugs as they don't get steeped in poo/wee and they stay waterproof for over a decade when not washed (Rambo/Rhino). No need to reproof or anything, 100% waterproof
  • By changing to indoor rugs the horse has different pressure points so less likely to get any issues.
  • Indoor rugs are cheaper (won't buy cheap outdoor ones as they don't stay waterproof) so I don't mind them getting messy. I just wash in summer or more often if med/light weight.
  • I honestly believe them to be more breathable than any outdoor one. Yes, some putdoor ones advertise as breathable, but not to the same degree as indoor ones.
  • I would not turn my horses out in pooey/peey-ey rugs with the flies we have round here! Plus, I groom before turnout, so would not want to put a dirty rug that had been in the stable back on.

flying_high

Visit site

I think it depends, we are on a hill, the field is exposed and windy, stables are in a sheltered barn.

I tend to rug about the same night and day in winter. But am guided by the BBC app forecast temperatures. The day and night temperatures can barely move or fluctuate hugely. So I go with forecast.

Visit site
I change mine over and hang them to dry in the stable, I like my pony to come in and cosy up in their stable rug. Half the bedding would be stuck to her wet rug come morning and cost me a fortune otherwise lol