Who stayed with their horse for PTS by injection?

3OldPonies

Visit site
Be aware the whole procedure takes longer than shooting. The vet should stitch a needle into the vein with a length of tubing that they actually get the rest of the drugs with, even with an experienced vet this takes an few minutes. I have had to had two PTS this way, one was so ill he just lay down, the other dropped like a stone.

Never actually heard of this. Bigger bore needle or cannula (bigger needle that can have several successive or larger attachments (like if you have a drip in the back of your hand) yes, stitching - no. Both that I have witnessed have been two simple injections, although the vet did try a cannula on the second but the vein was too small.

OP, check with your vet if you are unsure about the procedure they will use. They'll be more than happy to talk you through everything so that nothing comes as a surprise for you.

Moomin1

Visit site
Never actually heard of this. Bigger bore needle or cannula (bigger needle that can have several successive or larger attachments (like if you have a drip in the back of your hand) yes, stitching - no. Both that I have witnessed have been two simple injections, although the vet did try a cannula on the second but the vein was too small.

OP, check with your vet if you are unsure about the procedure they will use. They'll be more than happy to talk you through everything so that nothing comes as a surprise for you.

This. I haven't come across that method either. Usually a cannula attached which both drugs are administered through in the neck.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My last PTS was by injection the vet used a cannula when I asked why he said it was because the horse was very big and it allowed him to be sure he could get enough drug in quickly to do the job .

foraday

Visit site
So sorry to hear that you are going to go through this tomorrow.

Never a good time

to stay or not to is an owners choice

I have always chosen to stay as my last duty for them as their human friend in this world.

They know nothing about it. And a good vet as others have said will ensure they lay down in a controlled method by holding the headcollar and helping them down. You vet will explain all this and once the horse is down then you can talk to him/her whilst he'she slips quietly away and it is quiet too

Your vet will listen to the heart beat and let you know when he/she has gone

I've always talked to mine and sent them off to the bridge

I hope all goes well tomorrow

Big Hugs

Illusion100

Visit site
Oh OP, so sorry.

I didn't stay with my own as he knew me inside out and I couldn't be strong enough to be there for him without being upset and worrying him. I arranged for a calm friend to pamper, feed him and be there for him in the end. It was all very relaxed for him and he went peacefully.

I always have trouble with euthanasia, even when becoming 'hardened' to it when working with Equine vets. If you can't be there in the end, don't blame yourself, very understandable for many reasons.

Will be thinking of you, my sincere condolences.

kellykelbe

Visit site
I stayed with my friends horse because she couldnt watch and to be honest although very upseting I felt so privilaged to be by his side when he fell asleep. It was so calm and gently he just layed down and went to sleep and I stoked his neck and kissed him goodbye. It is such a hard thing to do but I feel they would want someone they know with them. Hope you are ok and all goes peacefully for you.

MS123

Visit site
I stayed with my mare when she went. She was gone before she even hit the floor (she fell in a peaceful way though, as if she was getting down to roll). Vet advised me to stay away, but I was adamant I wanted to be with her, and I did.

Best of luck OP, and I'm sorry to hear of your horse.

honetpot

Visit site
This. I haven't come across that method either. Usually a cannula attached which both drugs are administered through in the neck.
Its just a simple loop stitch so the cannula has less chance of coming out when the horse falls backwards, connected to about a metre of tubing. I think this is for safety so the vet can stand well back and if anything did go wrong give extra drugs. I assume that all the bad stories about it going wrong is when the needle or cannula come out before all the medication is given.

Menolly

Visit site
Hi.

I do not want to start the age old debate about which PTS method is best. I have decided on injection and the vet is coming this Thursday.

The question I'm asking is, have any of you stayed with your horse while it was PTS by injection? I'd like to be there with my horse but on the other hand I don't want to witness him collapsing in a heap.

Any experiences would be much appreciated. Thank you x

I've had 2 put to sleep by injection and both times had the luxury of planning the day rarther than it be from an emergency.

I found that the vet talked through the process and all eventualities so I was prepared and although both of mine had different reactions to the injection. One lay down gently and the other feisty to the end went up in the air. It was very quick and both were gone before they touched the ground.

Staying until the end is not for everyone and don't feel you have to. I found making the decision and all the preparation worse than the actual day.

Logistically If you can, I would recommend arranging who you use for removal to be there at the same time as the vet. They will be able to step in if you would like to leave after sedation and it will mean that removeal is quick and far less upsetting for you having to wait.

I hope Thursday goes as well as it can be,hugs xx

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I've stayed with two. Both went smoothly and I don't regret being there, I would definitely want to be there when it happens with my current horses. I found it an incredibly upsetting experience both times, but I felt that I owed it to them to be there.

landyandy

Visit site
I stayed with my mare, and i'm very glad that I did, my vet was wonderful, I always said I would be there, and I am so glad that I had the option to do so. she knew me all her life, RIP Tara.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I've had four PTS via injection.

The first was my old mare, then an oldie I took in, my sons pony was at the vet so wasnt there, and was there for a horse my sister bought.

That one could have been a potential disaster but the vet and assistant were fab, knowing about his issues and aversion to needles. It was I have to say, text book in how the vet did, no undue suffering caused to the horse, a dignified end.

In the next year, I have two more (all horses reaching that age now) to prepare for, might be three if the arthritis my OH's horse gets worse.

We will be there with then every step of the way, though I howl everytime. :(

Hippona

Visit site
I stayed with him whilst he was sedated....I was distraught, and OH took over. I heard, but did not see him fall to the ground.

I stayed with him until the fallen stock guy came to take him away...again, OH dealt with that. I guess I'll do the same for OH when the time comes for his mare.

He looked very peaceful when he was on the floor, which was a good thing, as he had been in great pain on and off all day and I remember sitting on the floor with his head on my lap.

It's four years ago today :(

Joanne4584

Visit site
Thank you so much for all your posts. xxx

I have definitely made the right decision. I put him out on the field for his last morning and even on two Bute he was so sore and kept stumbling. It was sad to see because in himself he is so well and looks in great condition. But it did confirm I am doing the right thing. He was out with two yearlings who wanted to play but he kept telling them to go away. He just wanted his grass!

So far I'm feeling ok. I'm dealing with it at the moment by thinking he's going out for the summer to see his best friends who have already passed away. I'm hoping that will help me when it finally happens this afternoon. I've cleaned his stable out and I didn't get upset because I pretended I was putting him back out for the summer.

Now for a big bar of chocolate before getting ready to go back out!