Who travels to competitions alone?

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Just wondering who travels their horses to compete alone and looking for any advice/tips. Normally OH drives us to competitions but I'm soon to apply for my trailer test. Once I've passed I'm considering hiring a local school so I build my confidence during short journeys before I travel further afield! I anyone has any confidence/safety tips I'd be pleased to hear them! :)

3Beasties

Visit site
I travel alone fairly regularly even though I only passed my lorry test fairly recently and had never competed before. At first it was quite daunting but once I'd done it once it was fine. Sometimes it is nice to have company but on the whole I find that I am more focused when on my own.

My main concern is usually loading my horse to come home as she can be really stubborn (loads fine at home) but I've always found that there are people willing to help so have never had too much difficulty.

I don't travel further than about an hours drive yet but that is mainly due to the level we are at rather than the fact I am on my own.

Top tips would be to be organised, have everything in places easy to get to and leave yourself plenty of time so that you are not rushing.

My horse is fairly easy to deal with which really helps. I can leave her on the lorry for hours or tied to the lorry if I'm close by. I'm not sure if I could manage with a horse that was difficult to do.

It is amazing having the independence to go where I want when I want so most of all I would say, have fun!

Happy H

Visit site
Yep - I do. Can be easier at some venues than others as if the warm up is not near the ring, timings can be a problem!

Best tip would be to put on your entry form that you are travelling alone and an emergency contact number should there be an accident.

Horsey folkes are generally very good and helpful in a crisis - I know I have taken other peoples horses home for them before when they have been sent off to hospital - is funny turning up at a strange yard with a horse and asking if someone know's where it lives though ;) Got some very strange looks!

Also, let the stewards know you are on your own and they are generally really helpful and will give you a yell when your on.

Good luck!

humblepie

Visit site
I used to all the time. Agree be organised and leave lots of time particularly if you have to collect numbers/declare etc. If it was a show which didn't send out numbers I advance, I would send an SAE with my entry and ask for the number to be sent (that was in the old days before online entries!).

When I was show jumping, I used to put a card in my jacket pocket with emergency contact details. The entry form would only have my home address on it so not a lot of use if one was carted off to hospital and someone had to sort out the horse.

If you are not over confident, perhaps start off by going to a lesson or a clinic or something like that so you can get into the routine. My first time out on my own with both my current horses was to a clinic just to ensure they were fine to deal with.

Just thought I would also always try and take food/drink so that I would not have to queue up for these. Generally always used to find someone to hold horse whilst I walked the course - frequently left with random strangers. At Aldershot one year I left little mare with a Gurkha who was on jump putting up duty.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I generally go out alone now we have our 3.5t, occasionally there might be others there I know and even more occasionally someone might come with me :eek:. Though the dressage is proving a hit as we have set times, people are more willing to come if they know they won't be there all day!

Doodle is a joy, she will stand on the lorry all day, load herself and is a saint on a show-ground so I don't worry about accidents really with her. So apart from remembering to take everything I need with me and trying to give myself lots of time I don't ever bother about being alone, I was even going to go to the Cherif champs on my own with her (3+ hours of driving and an overnight stay) until my friend managed to get the time off!

Topaz however was trickier... At first I had to have someone with me as she was so explosive at shows, even if it was just to hang onto her whilst I scrambled on or just in case I came off and injured myself :eek:. Now I do take her on my own and I expect her to behave, I'm more careful with her and make sure if I do have to leave her at the box alone it is shut up and secure (and never tacked up).

I just don't see an issue with going on my own (if I did I'd never go out ;)), I let people know where I'm going (I think my mum would notice eventually if we didn't come back ;)) and keep myself organised. I quite like it sometimes as you only have to worry about yourself, so its more peaceful :D.

Plus most people you meet out and about are very friendly and helpful, (like the time I tried to go into my class with Doodle's tail bandage still in :D, some very nice people let me know and even took it out for me :eek:).

x x x

Shrimp

Visit site
Yes i have for dressage, don't think i woud like to for anything else.
I have a 3.5t lorry and my horse is excellent to load and travel and will stand for ages inside. i can easily tack up inside which is a bonus so i can get both of us ready before lowering the ramp.
Plan your timings realistically so you know when to leave, more if its an unfamiliar venue. I have photocopies of my test in my pocket for reference so don't ruin originals.
Generally I've found people really helpful and there's often a few on their own so you end up talking to each other anyway!

claracanter

Visit site
More often than not I travel alone with my horse and trailer. Last year was our first season out and about and it was daunting to start with. I felt exhausted before I even got to the venue! Now, I am in a routine and my horse is easy to do. One thing that helps me is to find out exactly where a venue is if I haven't been there before. If possible,I will drive there ( obviously not with the trailer) several days before so I know exactly where I am going and what the roads are like. Might be a bit OTT but it gives me less to worry about on the day and sat navs can be a bit iffy. (I got lost once down narrow lanes and you can imagine that was no fun looking for somewhere to turn round.) I wont drive further than an hour to a venue but now I am more confident, I think I might do that this year. Try and make sure you take something to eat and have a proper sit down at some point. Now I sound old but it's easy on your own, never to give yourself a break.
Leave horse in the trailer while you go and get numbers.
There's always someone to hold your horse while you walk a course.
You can leave contact details on your dashboard as a safety precaution. It's also a good idea to inform stewards and venue that you are alone.
You need to be pretty organised. Try and have set places for things so you know where everything is. My 4x4 used to look like a total tip at the end of the day and I would often forget where I put my car keys once I was ready to drive home.
Hiring a local school for a test run sounds like a good plan because it's all about confidence.

But as the other posters have said, it is tremendous fun to be out spending a day on your own with your horse.

Last edited:

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I had to get used to going out on my own, as when I went to uni and took my horse with me that was it, no more mum as groom. I had my own little lorry so it was reasonably easy, he loaded well and stood quietly. There was always someone who would help if I asked, you just have to get a bit brave! Dressage is easiest on your own, I remember which horse is in before me and keep and eye on them, have my test sheet in my pocket for revision and never use boots etc! That means you don't have to get on and off. My second horse was more tricky as he was a total nightmare to do anything with but with grim determination I used to take him tacked up and go from there. My current horse is lovely, he will stand all day. I have handed him to strangers while I call for a friend or walk a showjumping course knowing that he won't be naughty.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Some good tips above :)

I go out on my own all the time, mostly drag or trail hunting or to thunder around with friends etc. (or RC in the summer)

My check list is:

Laminated A4 sheet that I put on the dash: this has horse friends on & also husband phone numbers & also the location of my yard.
Small laminated sheet in pocket.
Phone DH when leaving yard, giving him an eta of return, he will call me within 30mins of that time if not heard from me...
2 spare headcollars & ropes - 1 at the back & 1 in the cab; can always get at one.
Water: decanted into buckets & put under lorry on arrival - 1 for drinking, 1 for washdown.
Riding kit: I get changed/ready to ride on arrival
I keep spare hat, boots & gloves always in the lorry - you never know when they might be needed.
Tack: always take spare girth, leathers, reins (I usually take my everyday bridle)
Vet kit & grooming stuff is on the lorry - again where I can get at it.
Invest on a long rope & keep this by a door.
Oh - I have 2 sharp knives gaffa taped to the inside wall of the lorry (no-where that any horse can get to them)

Try it, do something low key to start with & then see how it goes - have fun :)

Last edited:

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
I actually really enjoy going alone. thats not to say I don't mind company, but I am easily distracted so need those who come with me to keep me focused! On my own I do that myself ;)

I have a to do list which includes everything I need for a show. I use it whenever I'm packing the truck.

I have a plan for when I arrive and work out timings etc so I have enough time to do everything without stress. if needing to leave horse standing on own in the truck, I leave my mobile number on the window and ask someone parked next door/close by to keep an eye. Most people are very friendly.

I have a hiding spot for my keys or I reduce it to one key only then pocket that.

You'll love it when you get into a routine as you can do your own thing!

dianchi

Visit site
I do, but I don't think I would be happy to go eventing on my own, tad worried if something were to happen.

But I happily go SJ and Dressage on my own!

Carlosmum

Visit site
I'm always on my own, have done everything this way for 10 yrs ( with a couple of exceptions) anything from local shows/ODE's to County level, furthest I've travelled was 80 miles to a Breed show but admittedly there was help at the other end.
I find unless the person with me is very experienced I worry more about them than me & the horse so I go alone.

meardsall_millie

Visit site
Yes I often go alone either with one or two horses - clinics, lessons, dressage, SJ and eventing. I've taken 2 horses eventing on my own several times (although that is bl**dy hard work!).

I actually find it really enjoyable as I can be completely focused on myself and my horse(s) without the need to worry about anyone else.

Just be organised and give yourself plenty of time. It might be helpful to go somewhere close to start off with and, if your horse is reasonably sensible, take it tacked up for the first few times so you haven't got that worry when you get there. If your horse is less sensible, spend plenty of time going the homework so it's as well behaved as possible as this will make your life so much easier!

Once there, just accost random passers-by to help you/hold a horse, etc, if needed. People are really friendly and helpful if you smile cheerfully as you plead with them! :)

MagicMelon

Visit site
I have done a few times in the past for show jumping or lessons, have always had help for eventing though. I think it depends on the horse. Ive taken both types - and its definately far easier on your own with an easy horse. The difficult ones can be a struggle, even for basic stuff like putting studs in. Its perfectly doable with a good horse though. Personally I dont enjoy it on my own, I've always done everything for myself anyway at events but its nice having my mum there for company. Now she comes along as the babysitter, so she's there but she can't help.

pipsqueek

Visit site
I have always travelled alone, when I learned to tow all those years ago, my Dad just let me get on with it & my OH has no interest in showjumping, in some respects it's great as you can do your own thing & go off to shows whenever you want and are beholdent to no-one, I usually take our 2 dogs with me for company though! I have a 3.5 tonne box and have horsebox breakdown cover, always take water/ 2 haynets for my horse, also spare stirrup leathers/reins/girth etc in case of breakages. There is always someone to hold your horse if needed when you walk the course etc and usually it's the same faces, people are really friendly and once you are there it is if you aren't on your own anyway! My horse travels well & just stands there quietly with the horsebox doors open when we get there, she is quite happy so no stress from her!

NZJenny

Visit site
I'm another one who travels alone and have always done so. And I also prefer it, I guess I just find it easier to organise myself without worrying about getting distracted.

x2 what everyone else has said about being organised, leaving yourself heaps of time (things happen), lists and letting someone know where you are going.

The best thing about travelling alone is you make heaps of new friends along the way and horse people are just the best at helping each other out if things go pear shaped.

marmalade76

Visit site
Me, almost always for the last 15 years (though I don't get out very often these days). Can't think of any tips, really, but I understand your lack of confidence as I have suffered this myself after a bit of a break and I don't want to go very far or unknown now. I suppose it gets better the more you do, start small and go from there :)

ihatework

Visit site
I go out alone virtually all the time, have done for years and don't really give it a second thought.
I'm lucky that all my horses have been good to load and sensible the other end.
I only do dressage now and I seem to have perfected the art of smiling sweetly at people to whip off boots / call!!

kassieg

Visit site
Went out on my own for the 2nd time yesterday for combined training

Tbh I like being on my own, less guilt if everything goes wrong than when my parents used to take me

Its always nice to have a friend but I cant rely on them to be there all the time

Im slightly scared about my 1st event on my own but il cross that bridge when I get to it !

wench

Visit site
One of best bits of advice is to know where you are going. Might not be so bad in a 3.5t wagon, but not knowing the road when you are towing is a nuisance.

If also invest in a sat nav, that way you can keep an eye on it for any nasty bends. I did a two hour trailer journey a couple of years ago and it was invaluable

Walrus

Visit site
We mostly go out alone and have done mainly dressage, ridden showing and working hunter. I'm lucky as my lad is very good. Like the others have said, leave plenty of time, have a place for everything, wear show jods and shirt etc under other clothes. I take more hay than I could ever need so my boy will stand on the box fine. Once you've done it a couple of times you get into a routine. Also as the others have said, don't be afraid to ask for help, there will always be people willing to hold a nice horse whilst you walk the course etc. I usually come out to find mine has gained a fan club, a polo and has someone brushing his hair! Last year we even did an overnight at equiifest on our own when my helper couldn't make it and did ridden classes with no groom to help us strip, but the lovely OH of another competitor adopted us for our classes and gave me a hand. It's daunting to think about but providing you're prepared and have the basics like breakdown, emergency contacts etc you'll be fine.

EveningStar

Visit site
99% of the time I compete alone. This got a little tricky when Bill decided he wasn't loading at the end of last year but we've turned that corner (thank god!) but there is always someone who is kind enough to help if needed.

It helps that most shows are at the local showgrounds so I know where I'm going, what the facilities are like and where I'm going to park. This makes a huge difference - could you even do a trial run to see approx how long it will take etc?

I also leave myself plenty of time and have it in my head- we need to leave by x will get there at y need to be on by z and always tack on an extra 10 mins or so for any potential problems. Also being sans groom tacking up/ entering classes etc all takes a little bit of extra time.

khalswitz

Visit site
I go on my own - and generally I hack to the venues as well for SJ and dressage, which adds another flayer of complicated on as well - but I rent a box for eventing/HT. Someone is generally happy to hold your horse for you for a bit, I've found, and otherwise juggling becomes a learned skill.

Pebble101

Visit site
I did when I was competing.

Plan your route beforehand and don't rely on Satnav because it could take you down roads which are unsuitable.

Carry spares.

I used to find that if someone came with me I always forgot something as my routine was upset :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I travelled 1300 miles round trip alone last year when I took my horse to compete at Hartpury from Ireland. Not without drama (flat tyre on the lorry, 4 1/2 hours on the side of the motorway in Wales before kind rescue from people I'd never met - thank you forever!), but I must say I THOROUGHLY enjoyed myself. I prefer going alone, actually; more time with just me 'n my horse.

Mickyjoe

Visit site
I travelled 1300 miles round trip alone last year when I took my horse to compete at Hartpury from Ireland. Not without drama (flat tyre on the lorry, 4 1/2 hours on the side of the motorway in Wales before kind rescue from people I'd never met - thank you forever!), but I must say I THOROUGHLY enjoyed myself. I prefer going alone, actually; more time with just me 'n my horse.

Jeez long solo trip!! I hope it was worth it!