Who uses travel boots?

Did you keep your wisdom teeth?

• Total voters

Its_A_Rollover

Visit site
My other please state is because although Coblett more than happy for me to put the travel boots on. 10 minutes into journey and he is bucking in the van and trying to tearing them off and completely panicking. I feel brushing boots and over reach boots are fine as he has such big chunky legs. skinny warmblood i used to have had full travel boots tho.

MegaBeast

Visit site
Travel boots for longer journey but if short hourney and jumping at the other end just put normal boots + over reach boots on out of laziness.

I know a lot of shipping companies won't use travel boots as they tend to slip. In fact one of the front boots slipped on my girl once and in pulling it off she nearly spun the trailer as she must have lost her balance, very scarey experience.

legaldancer

Visit site
I put no, but I do sometimes.
If I was travelling two in a trailer I would incase they somehow would tread on each other through the partition.
When hunting I travel my horse alone in the trailer & he's already wearing boots to hunt in. I tend to bandage or put on leg wraps for the homebound journey afterwards.
My son's pony objects to hind ones, so I use pads on the front. Also, she's not shod behind.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Yes on Bodey all round (Amigo ones, seem to fit the best), he doesn’t mind at all but does walk like John Wayne for the first few steps. But no for Badger, just because we don’t have any that fit, should get some really but he seems fine without them. And if I’m honest I worry more about Bodey’s legs then Badger’s, even though I shouldn’t.

rara007

Visit site
Travel boot for short journeys, but not for longer motorway journeys as being ponies they all get hot legs. Most pro. horse transporters seem to prefer no boots. One doesn't like back boots, but the others have them allround, if atall.

josiesmithuk

Visit site
One of ours wears travel boots all round, the other just wears front boots cause she bangs against the tack lockers and I worry about her damaging her knees. Her stall in the wagon always has a layer of straw in an attempt to prevent her stepping on herself.

x x

RachelB

Visit site
Mine has travel boots in front and bandages plus over-reach boots behind. If I put travel boots on behind, she is fine until the lorry/trailer moves when she then proceeds to kick the **** out of the ramp/side! I bandage quite far up her hocks and she is fine as long as it doesn't go over and round the hock.
Wouldn't travel without unless I had a horse that really really had to go without anything. Brushing and over-reach boots all round would be a minimum otherwise.

teddyt

Visit site
I havnt used travel boots for about 15 years. i switched to bandaging after not being able to find boots that fit well enough. They are never snug enough and even with a sensible horse i do not want to risk them slipping. I have never seen a pair that IMO fit well. I have also seen several shredded boots over the years but never a damaged bandage!

alsxx

Visit site
Seeing as I posted I should probably comment....I tend to nearly always either use travel boots or bandage, if I'm going anywhere already tacked up then will usually use brushing/overreach boots as a minimum if time is an issue. I used to be quite laid back about the one off occaison they didn't wear anything, until my mare (who normally loads and travels fine) decided to rear off the ramp and quite nicely slipped her front leg down the side of the ramp removing a nice amount of skin. Learnt my lesson!!

TelH

Visit site
I have used boots on a few occasions but much prefer bandages so use them on my ponies. They take longer to put on but once they are on they never move. My friend's mini shetland travels without anything but I always put her a deep bed of straw in the trailer.

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I normally wear brushing boots sometimes with over reaches (if cross countring) for short journeys. For long journeys I bandage as although i do have some travel boots they are a bit rubbish and tend to slip so I have given up with them and opted for bandaging instead.

Evelynmary

Visit site
I don't for two reasons, horse doesn't travel as well with them on and secondly its difficult to get them off on arrival.

As someone who remembers life before travel boots, I honestly can't recall a horse harming itself without boots.

LindaW

Visit site
I tend not to use anything and think boots are more bother than they are worth - got about 3 nice sets that have been in my tack trunk for years.

If I do anything I pad and bandage.

3Beasties

Visit site
Millie always has travel boots on when traveling.

Charlie doesn't like them so for now I travel him without.

Amaretto

Visit site
Me. Have seen some damage on unprotected horses. However, travelled my then 3yo back with no protection as he wouldn't let me put anything on as he was so green and p155ed off with the vetting he had just gone thru.

Now, he travels in Mark Todd travel boots which don't slip and are easy to put on. Alway has a tail bandage on as he leans on his tail and needs the support to stop it rubbing raw.

diggerbez

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Me. Have seen some damage on unprotected horses. However, travelled my then 3yo back with no protection as he wouldn't let me put anything on as he was so green and p155ed off with the vetting he had just gone thru.

Now, he travels in Mark Todd travel boots which don't slip and are easy to put on. Alway has a tail bandage on as he leans on his tail and needs the support to stop it rubbing raw.

[/ QUOTE ]

another vote for mark todd travel boots...on all three horses i've had they haven't ever shifted!

loopeepee

Visit site
Denpends on the horse.
My old pony was a mixed of boots and bandages, trying to protect as much of her legs as possible because she used to trash her legs completly in the trailer/lorry.

Horses tend to have travel boots on. If we're going down the road for a SJ lesson then perhaps just their SJ boots.