Who wears a hat?

Do you work to improve your horses way of going?

• Total voters

Samiez

Visit site
I always wear my hat... but recently i've got on and been reminded i'm not wearing a hat...opps!
crazy.gif

Horseymum

Visit site
At the end of the day it's personal choice and down to how much you value your life. I would never ride a horse without a hat and indeed wear my hat whenever handling "unknown" horses from the ground. What I do object to is people riding without a hat at our yard when my daughter is there. I have drummed into her that you never get on a horse/pony without a hat and my stock answer when my 3 year old says "Why hasn't that lady got her riding hat on?" is "Because she is stupid".

pottamus

Visit site
I am not even going to put in print what I think of people who do not wear hats when riding any horse! Sorry and all that, although it is their choice at the end of the day and so long as they are aware of the risks let them get on with it.
I will not get on, sit on or ride any horse without my hat on and securely fastened and also wear a back protector every time too...I get grief for it from people that think it over the top but when I do come off I want to have the least damage possible so I can get better and ride my horse again quickly!!! Each to their own in life!

riotgirl

Visit site
If I'm just handling my horses then I don't wear a hat but I always, always wear one when riding, whether it be schooling or hacking.

cobweb

Visit site
I've had a fractured skull & perforated ear drum from a fall out hacking whilst wearing a hat - I wouldn't be here now if I hadn't been wearing one - simple decision really.

susan_w

Visit site
My daughter always rides with a hat on (unless it falls off when she's jumping - see my post a few weeks ago!!)

However, she does seem to think it's "cool" to ride without one. She knows never to let me catch her without one - and mostly it won't happen as you are not allowed to ride at our yard without one - no exceptions.

bertiewooster

Visit site
Thanks for all your responses, can I just clarify that I always wear my hat (too much of a negative fatalist not to), and I do NOT think that it is "wimpy" to do so! The "big girl's blouse" wording was a joke! But I was trying to make a serious point - I have noticed that there are a lot of ads on, e.g., Horsemart, where "experienced-looking" people are not wearing hats, and it does beg the question: do some people feel that they have reached a level of experience where a hat ceases to be necessary?

tinker512

Visit site
Ummmm, I don't think wearing a hat is being a big blouse....just having me brain plugge in!!

In my opinion...its just not worth it...ok so they don't look stunning and sometimesit would be nice to go galloping with the wind in my hair...but the day I do that will be the day I come off and crack my head open...or worse...

Tempi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wear one to keep all the saw dust in.

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL!!!!!!!!!!

I think calling people who wear hats 'big girls blouses' is a bit wrong........people wear hats for SAFETY, not because they are scared............

bertiewooster

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ummmm, I don't think wearing a hat is being a big blouse....just having me brain plugge in!!

[/ QUOTE ]

ARGHHH! It was a joke, a joke, a joke!!!! I'll never live that comment down!!! lol
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
I always wear a hat, its just a natural thing for me also the thoughg=t of falling off pickles height without a hat could be terrible. but on any horse/pony I wear one doing everything including riding to the field. I dont care what people think, there the ones who will change there minds when they fall off without a hat on

the watcher

Visit site
I wear one to ride 95% of the time, the rest is usually me hopping on to demonstrate something for 5 mins (but not jumping, always wear a hat for that) I also wear one when loading and when handling youngsters
used to hack out without a hat 20 + years ago, smacked my head on an overhanging branch and fractured my skull, ironically if I had been wearing a hat I could have broken my neck but it did make me decide to wear one nearly all the time after that

burtie

Visit site
I always ride with a hat. The excuse that it's too hot these days is just rubbish. I have one of those new fangled hats that look like cycle helmets with lots of air holes and weighing about a gram for schoolong on hot days. They are only about £35 too so not expensive either.

hayliana

Visit site
what confuses me are the responses where people say they dont wear one because they trust the horse they're riding?! these are animals, always unpredictable, and is this also implying the rider never makes an error that could end in an accident?

kick_On

Visit site
i'm a firm believer in knowing the risks.
I don't wear a hat for flat schooling my ggs (at home), but for jumping/roadwork or competeing do not a have a problem wear one. I do feel that people go overboard about risks and it should be up to the person what level of risk they are prepared to take. Just resently i went to Rc camp and people got really funny cos i wouldn't wear my body protector for SJ, i hate wearing them and i feel for SJ there more of a danger that a help, BUT i have not problem if somebody else wants to
In saying this i believe children should have no choice and wear a hat

kick_On

Visit site
mmm sorry i do trust my horses at home, i feel that it makes more aware NOT to fall off
first of all it hurts, and that the best reason not to come off...........
i'll add to this i will only not wear hat when schooling alone, if in company will

missmorsey

Visit site
always do when out hacking or jumping,but wen its really hot in summer i dont always aslong as the horse i am on is pretty sane.
hehe

vivhewe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
these are animals, always unpredictable, and is this also implying the rider never makes an error that could end in an accident?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bravo! When I managed to smash my shoulder up I was riding my welshie and he set of broncing and galloping with me as he had a trapped nerve - he must have been in so much pain bless him! - and he told me in the only way he could.

Until then he's been 100% - so it just goes to show that even on the safest horse or pony you can still have accidents
crazy.gif
- In my opinion (and I will really get slated for this but it is just my opinion) if you can't be bothered wearing a hat properly then I can't be bothered being sympathetic when you hit your head falling off.

riotgirl

Visit site
It honestly doesn't bother me if an adult doesn't want to wear a hat - it is down to individual choice. I wear one, but thats just me.
I do think all kids should wear one though. I know when I was about 13/14 it was considered 'cool' to not wear a hat. We used to meet up for a hack and remove our hats when out of view of parents. My mum caught me once and I was banned from riding my boy for 2 weeks and she got one of her doctor friends to tell me all sorts of horror stories regarding head injuries. She said if I wasn't going to be sensible then she'd sell my horse. Have worn one ever since, so well done mum!

Evadiva1514

Visit site
I always wear a hat now after seeing a horrific fall at a racing yard i was working at, at the time. The poor girl came off wilst cantering and her hat hit the floor a few seconds before her head did. Not pretty!!

I cannot see the point in not wearing one and i would be very concerned as to the insurance implications if someone were to fall off and seriously injure themselves... i don't suppose you would stand a chance.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
hell yes, i feel naked without it, and even sometimes wear it if i am leading yearlings etc, of doing something where i may get kicked in the head, but then i wear a BP if i am riding a loon, & XC schooling or anything else whereby i am likely to get buried

As examples during my childhood my mum only ever wore a beagler, my dad only wore a top hat or a flat cap & my granny had a lovely orange headscarf or a bowler for hunting!! yet i wouldn't dream of not wearing a hat, and i only wear my beagler for dressage on sane & sensible horses (so very rarely!!)

MagicMelon

Visit site
Certainly not a big girls blouse for wearing a hat! I think anyone who does is NORMAL!

I saw someone riding on the road without one the other day, made me cringe. Imagine falling off a massive horse onto tarmac. Insane.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
the only time i ride without a hat is when i go and catch my horse from a field far away and ride him back bareback with a headcollar. its only about 5 minutes away from my house/ yard, and dont do it every time i go to catch him, just when i cant be bothered to walk.

Taz975

Visit site
I always wear a hat, just because, I do. It would hurt falling off without one!
When I ve been to big yards where no-one wears a hat and make you feel like a safely conscious over reacting wally, I just think.....Im not made of superglue and these horses are nuts so I keep my hat on thankyou!

Troggy

Visit site
Always wear a hat for riding, it's not just your own life you will muck up if you end up paralysed/brain dead etc, your family are the ones who will have to deal with it. Also if you aren't wearing a hat your insurance won't be valid - again great on those who have to care for you. It only takes a few seconds to put one on, I really can't see why people wouldn't.

helenandshadow

Visit site
I used to ride my pony to and from the field bareback in a headcollar and leadrope without a hat, which i admit was stupid. Other than that i always wear a hat. If an adult doesn't wear a hat, fine, as long as they don't do it in front of kids, and don't complain if they fall off and have their brains splattered.

teapot

Visit site
Wear one when riding. And I have to wear a bp when I'm jumping (RS policy)

Always wear a hat if lunging too (sounds stupid but I like my head)