Who's got the dirtiest stable competition.

Equi

Visit site
I don't have a pic but I put down one bale of allbed and one bale of shavings on Monday and I had to take 3/4 of it out by Wednesday.

Visit site
I want to know where all the wee comes from, they hardly drink any water overnight, only get the moisture from what grass they can find during the day.

Merrymoles

Visit site
My lad poos on the left, wees near the front and sleeps on the right which is always compacted down hard by morning. The only real mess is where he occasionally mixes it in getting up.
The other gelding I muck out is known as s71t monster on the other hand and must be the wettest horse in Yorkshire...
However, we are on wood pellets and the bigger his bed, the better he is.

Stormynight

Visit site
As promised, this is what greeted me this morning:

IMG_20141122_081242_786_zps99d07e15.jpg

It's a good job I love him for everything else... still don't know the best method of attack on the bed front!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
As promised, this is what greeted me this morning:

It's a good job I love him for everything else... still don't know the best method of attack on the bed front!

With my gelding who was on shavings (see my photos earlier in the thread) I switched to straw pellets and it made a massive difference. I kept it quite deep so the wee just disappeared to the bottom layer and the poo stays on the top. I have never gone back to shavings since and it's been about 2 years.

Stormynight

Visit site
With my gelding who was on shavings (see my photos earlier in the thread) I switched to straw pellets and it made a massive difference. I kept it quite deep so the wee just disappeared to the bottom layer and the poo stays on the top. I have never gone back to shavings since and it's been about 2 years.

Ah thank you for that! I'll bear it in mind for future reference, unfortunately our yard limits to shavings only (as supplied by YO), so we're a bit stuck on the changing-for-something-else side.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
In fairness to them I do think small beds in large stables are usually going to get tramped around though, unless you have a completely solid deep litter style base that doesn't move.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
In fairness to them I do think small beds in large stables are usually going to get tramped around though, unless you have a completely solid deep litter style base that doesn't move.

I think the problem with a really messy, dirty horse is you can never build up a solid base in the first place. I am considering putting in a 'normal' horse to build up a nice firm base and then moving 'messy boy' into it. But I don't like moving horses around stables.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yup, I am spoilt with a rather clean boy! He has a patch of stomped on wood pellets in his pee spot and then bliss on top. The bliss might move but the pellets aren't going anywhere :)

Stormynight

Visit site
I think the problem with a really messy, dirty horse is you can never build up a solid base in the first place.

I agree fully, ester. However Wagtail has got it spot on... I tried to set a deep litter base, and failed miserably. It doesn't matter how sodden and heavy the base is, he'll still manage to churn it all together and wreck the full bed - I used 8 bales of shavings over 2.5wks (admittedly in 24/7) trying to go that route. He seems to be best on a thicker bed, fully mucked out daily. However we use at least 2 bales a week trying to keep that up. Smaller bed results in the pic above (that was fully mucked out the day before, and a quarter bale thrown in to top it up). Smaller bed is cheaper (less bales used) and easier as it's just shovelled out, though the state of his stable rugs / fleeces... don't even go there.

Mucky bleeder.

Evie91

Visit site
I spent hours and hours painting new stable walls white - breeze blocks just suck up paint!
My companion pony poops up the wall- all over back wall and side walls. I was scrubbing weekly with bleach but this involved moving the bed out, then waiting for it to dry- ok in summer but no good now. I've given up and will now do it again in the spring, dread to think what it will be like then.
Her actual bed is really neat tho as she poops up against the wall!
No pics but it is gross - as least with mucky bed you can take it out!

Stormynight

Visit site
SN I think mine would have to live in a turnout I could hose off! :D

LOL I think that's the way we're headed... best part is he waits until it's totally trashed late in the night before he'll lie down. He's always pee soaked in a morning, and still wet. Full clip and full neck turnout is on the cards, I think :D

PolarSkye

Visit site
Will someone please tell me how my gelding manages to leave his bed looking untouched but upon further inspection has hidden all his droppings under his bankings so I have to go digging for them :confused3:

Kali does this too . . . which is why I have to redo his banks EVERY DAY.

Good job he's so darned good looking.

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
I think the problem with a really messy, dirty horse is you can never build up a solid base in the first place. I am considering putting in a 'normal' horse to build up a nice firm base and then moving 'messy boy' into it. But I don't like moving horses around stables.

This exactly - which is why deep litter doesn't work for all horses.

P

thatsmygirl

Visit site
To be fair non of the pictures posted show decent beds depth wise I don't think.
I'm on rubber matting but the beds on top are very thick and it helps keeping them clean, the only time they get dirtier is if I let their beds get thinner but even then they are a lot lot thicken then ones shown. I do think thin beds = messy horses or I'm just lucky to have always had clean horses for 30 years

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
To be fair non of the pictures posted show decent beds depth wise I don't think.
I'm on rubber matting but the beds on top are very thick and it helps keeping them clean, the only time they get dirtier is if I let their beds get thinner but even then they are a lot lot thicken then ones shown. I do think thin beds = messy horses or I'm just lucky to have always had clean horses for 30 years

Then I don't think you have ever had a truly mucky horse. All our horses have nice deep beds except for the one I have pictured. I have only ever had one other horse as bad as this before, and believe me, I tried every depth of bed possible and several different beddings. In the end the only one that didn't cost in excess of £20 a week in bedding, was wood pellets, whole bed removed and replaced every single day. :(

wiglet

Visit site
Ooooer... Some grotty beds there :) I don't envy u that lot! My mare is quite tidy - poos in one pile which I pick out while she's eating breakfast. She pees when she goes in the stable at night then again in the morning when I arrive at the yard - I catch both pees in a bucket :D makes mucking out much easier!!

LeannePip

Visit site
Am sorry to say, i really do not envy you lot! my mare is lovely and clean!

i've worked on a few yards with messy horses and the thing that worked best for the worst of the was small shavings bed big banks at the back take the trashed bed out every day pull down from the banks until they are all gone, then start again, only leave enough bedding on the floor for the wet and poo - this is obviously only if there is rubber matting

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Some foul yard dog pooed on my brand new bed tonight, two bales of shavings with old pellets and shavings underneath, fab absorbent CLEAN bed desecrated by dog sh** :(

diamonddogs

Visit site
DSCI0001.jpg

I think she had had a tantrum!

I think it's a mare thing - mine does that! I bought her a couple of munch nets from YHL, and she had a Luciebrick the other night. Even her water bucket had been thrown across the stable (I see yours is upside down in her tyre - my mare chucks the tyre across the stable as well) - rugs everywhere, bedding halfway up the wall... We have a similar result with treat balls.

She used to be absolutely disgusting when she was on straw, so I switched to shavings. Big mistake - most mornings she would stand in her stable looking like one of those welfare cases who never get mucked out. Touch wood, she's been so much cleaner on chopped straw - I only have to poo pick every day then lift out the wet at weekends.

Nessa4

Visit site
Will someone please tell me how my gelding manages to leave his bed looking untouched but upon further inspection has hidden all his droppings under his bankings so I have to go digging for them :confused3:

Ooooh! If you find out please tell me! I have one that does exactly that - buries everything. Drives me up the hatshop every time!

charlie76

Visit site
We have one that does the same as the op, he tramples it all in whilst waiting for food, I have taken to driving in and tying him up before getting the feeds out, then whilst he is eating, putting the bed up before he tramples waiting to go to the field. Seems to be working ¡
I have big thick beds on top of rubber but he is just as bad no matter how big the bed, I just end up chucking most of the new bed I put in the night before away.

Tikimouse

Visit site
I've started to try deep littering to see if having a solid base and deeper bed helps. While leaving the wet is very difficult for me, the time im saving and the reduction in waste is keeping me going! only on day 3 so will see how it goes!