Who's got the dirtiest stable competition.

JJS

Visit site
None of these even come close to my gelding. T's bed is like nothing you've ever seen before. He has a completely fresh bed of straw down every single day. He then proceeds to wee and poo more than any other horse, pick up his water buckets and tip them in his bed if they're not tied down (I caught him doing this), and splash around in them if they are. He can't have a haynet because he gets frustrated, pulls all of it out without eating it and then tramples it in his bed, so it has to be in a pile on the floor. Amazingly, he manages to leave about an inch of clean floor space around the perimeter of this - because who wants dirty hay? If his rugs are hung up in there he pulls them down and goes to the toilet on them for good measure, or makes a little nest and falls asleep in the middle of them. Leave anything else in there, from brushes to Sudocrem, and it will be destroyed by morning. His treat ball keeps him occupied for a while, but he likes to charge around after it at full speed and trample his mess around. If he doesn't have his ball, he box walks the whole time. Deep bedding him is a no go - the whole bed is filled with poo and sopping wet. If he belonged to anyone else, I wouldn't believe that they mucked him out at all. It's a good job I love him!

Last edited:

Toffee44

Visit site
Still getting used to miscanthus. Here's sambas doing. Quite wet and if doesn't get out early mashes up the bed. But nothing flicking bedding up walls and letting poo roll out won't solve. She's so much better if she has an alley from door to back wall and bed on one side rather than at the back if that makes sense. This stable has a central door. Oh well.

FDA22FD4-5236-43C6-AD39-02284A2406D5_zpshxir0sro.jpg

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
None of these even come close to my gelding. T's bed is like nothing you've ever seen before. He has a completely fresh bed of straw down every single day. He then proceeds to wee and poo more than any other horse, pick up his water buckets and tip them in his bed if they're not tied down (I caught him doing this), and splash around in them if they are. He can't have a haynet because he gets frustrated, pulls all of it out without eating it and then tramples it in his bed, so it has to be in a pile on the floor. Amazingly, he manages to leave about an inch of clean floor space around the perimeter of this - because who wants dirty hay? If his rugs are hung up in there he pulls them down and goes to the toilet on them for good measure, or makes a little nest and falls asleep in the middle of them. Leave anything else in there, from brushes to Sudocrem, and it will be destroyed by morning. His treat ball keeps him occupied for a while, but he likes to charge around after it at full speed and trample his mess around. If he doesn't have his ball, he box walks the whole time. Deep bedding him is a no go - the whole bed is filled with poo and sopping wet. If he belonged to anyone else, I wouldn't believe that they mucked him out at all. It's a good job I love him!

Sounds like an utter nightmare. We need pictures!

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Dublin is on a months box rest, and I've been going to do him each day, he is normaly done by YO as he is on part livery, well first day of box rest I went up to muck him out on a weekday, and was worried to the point of calling vet as I could not see any poo!!! Then I started throwing banks back up... Ahh. ... Found the poo. He hides it in the banks... And uses it as a pillow... Just in case you all think I am a lazy owner, we do DIY at weekends.. But the yard groom does him and most of the others mon to fri... He also only pees in one spot.. Now my sons mare is the filthiest horse I've ever known , it's all walked around to the point where it's best to just do banks and a sprinkle of shaving on floor with rubber mats under it..then I can brush it all out each morning...

3OldPonies

Visit site
When H used to come in at night I used to dread mucking him out in the morning. P was always fine, poo in one place (under the banking) and pee round the poo. H on the other hand OMG his bed looked like someone had stuck a huge food mixer in through the roof and turned the power full on. A spiral of poopy wet straw from bank to bank, funny he never touched those and a big squashed bit where he'd laid in it all - arrghhh the rugs - wet smelly and always with poo caught in the clip of the surcingles. In one way I am very glad that he's now out 24/7, but on the other I do actually miss making up nice comfy looking beds!

JJS

Visit site
Sounds like an utter nightmare. We need pictures!

I have a stable fairy (my brilliant dad) who does mucking out duty Monday to Friday whilst I'm at work. However, come Saturday I'll have to take some before and after shots - be warned, he really is disgusting!

Casey76

Visit site
I could post photos of my old box at my old yard (where I was on pension), but it would be cheating, as the boxes were only mucked out twice a week (in winter) and once a week in summer.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Still getting used to miscanthus. Here's sambas doing. Quite wet and if doesn't get out early mashes up the bed. But nothing flicking bedding up walls and letting poo roll out won't solve. She's so much better if she has an alley from door to back wall and bed on one side rather than at the back if that makes sense. This stable has a central door. Oh well.

FDA22FD4-5236-43C6-AD39-02284A2406D5_zpshxir0sro.jpg

How are you finding the miscanthus?

Toffee44

Visit site
How are you finding the miscanthus?

I like the bed but am getting that horse pee smell more than I did with pellets. So taking wet out every 2/3 days doesn't seem to be working for deep litter with my mare. Fine with the other mare I do (land lady's) but she's mega tidy.
Also v difficult to get every little bit poo out where she tramples it. Find it no heavier than pellets though. That took 15 min to muck out today (photo was this morning).

Also much prefer equinola than easy pack I've discovered.

georgiegirl

Visit site
the way forward is deep littering - honestly, Im now converted!

My gelding is pretty clean but my mare will be up with the best of them for dirtiest stable competiton. Im a bit obsessed with mucking out and even then taking out every scrap and bit of wee I was going through bedding a massive rate and still always had a 'brown' looking bed of shavings.

Theres definately a knack to doing deep litter properly but even with my disgusting mare once you have a nice base settled in you can just take all the mucky stuff off the top and then use a few forkfuls out of your banks and bash them down hard on the top of the bed, I then sweep the front back hard as far as it will go and then bash it all down with the back of the shavings fork. Clean sparkly looking shavings and I've gone down from x3 bales a week to one and have a much much cleaner looking stable which doesnt smell whatsoever. Im intending to leave the bed down until the spring now so as not to disturb my very precious 'base'. You can still take top layers of wee off from time to time you just have to resist the temptation to go digging! I always thought proper deep litter was a bit minging but done in this technique shes on a far far cleaner bed than she ever was before.

conniegirl

Visit site
this is what I arrived to this evening (he is in at night out in the day)
10616046_10101062070439731_890928003066167785_n.jpg

The bed had new shavings in it yesterday. have tried deep littering but it is unbearable after 3 days max, can never get him to leave it alone long enough to get the base set, he actualy digs it up and digs most of his banks out, then churns it all in to one squelchy mess.

gina2201

Visit site
This is actually a fairly tidy day, what made me laugh was the big hay tub in the middle of the stable which is normally placed directly in the door and to the right looking at the photo. I think she plays with it. she rolls every night as can be told from her rug and mane and tail leaving poo often hidden underneath a 'clean' looking top!

20141201_154039_zps27565d8d.jpg

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site

The bed had new shavings in it yesterday. have tried deep littering but it is unbearable after 3 days max, can never get him to leave it alone long enough to get the base set, he actualy digs it up and digs most of his banks out, then churns it all in to one squelchy mess.

Looks just like my stable in the OP. Just unbelievable! I shake my head every single day. I just don't believe it!

Goldenstar

Visit site

That's bad .
Tats is terrible he was using over a bale a day of shavings last winter and never had what I would call a proper bed .
So this year he's out with access to a shed at night .

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site

This is just like my Father's horse's stable ^^

So annoying, you give her a clean bed and she just eats the bedding (Bliss Bedding) and them poos and stamps it all down! -_-

ihatework

Visit site

OMG that is minging. If that were my horse they would not have the Privilage of shavings. I'd fit the stable with fieldguard M2 and be done with it!!!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
This is what I arrived to this evening (pony had been in for 4 hours at this point :eek: )

IMG_1795.jpg

^^ This is similar to my Mother's horse's stable, she poos and then stamps it down, then wees, then scatters her hay around the box and sometimes it gets mixed in her litter, then repeats the process re. the litter, except in different places, and then lies flat out on it!

conniegirl

Visit site
OMG that is minging. If that were my horse they would not have the Privilage of shavings. I'd fit the stable with fieldguard M2 and be done with it!!!
Livery yard wont allow anything other than shavings unfortunatly. Am changing yard soon, will see if he is any better on straw.

I took 3 wheel barrows of sodden squelching bedding out of his stable tonight
This is what it looks like when I put him in it after mucking out, am currently trying no bank at the back to see if it stops him digging it out!
A65BE304-8DBE-4C67-9314-905E905A078E_zps96iyku1o.jpg

3Beasties

Visit site

Have you tried using a stable mirror?

tankgirl1

Visit site
Dolly is a messy mare, pees and poos as soon as I bring her in, and not always on the actual bed, pees loads in her stable all over the place, and walks it all into a sodden mess! She's on straw (yard rules) and no rubber matting. I'm considering trying deep littering once she comes in at night, but I think she's too wet for the straw to hold it all tbh!