Why are bridles "flash" as standard?

Equi

Visit site
I loved my micklem when i got it but ive fallen out of love with it..it just doesn't sit well anymore and i don't want it. I went to the local shop (for essential items.....) and literally every bridle has a flash. Yes you can simply take it out and not use it, and cut the nub off but thats not the point. Why are nearly all bridles still sold as flash? Why if i want a bridle without one do i have to search for it specifically/adjust one with it?

doodle

Visit site
I spent ages looking for an non flash bridle for Soli that wasn’t silly money. He didn’t need a flash and I think that little bit sticking down just looks wrong. I got a Mark Todd comfort bridle. Robin then got it, trashed it and I bought the exact bridle again and still love it. I, like you, don’t see why a flash is the standard thing to use when most horses don’t need them. Robin dislikes them quite obviously.

D

Deleted member 150717

I loved my micklem when i got it but ive fallen out of love with it..it just doesn't sit well anymore and i don't want it. I went to the local shop (for essential items.....) and literally every bridle has a flash. Yes you can simply take it out and not use it, and cut the nub off but thats not the point. Why are nearly all bridles still sold as flash? Why if i want a bridle without one do i have to search for it specifically/adjust one with it?
I was just looking at my local tack shop and found for for £35 bargain!!D5FC97D6-D230-4E19-8124-ACC5E8E43276.jpg

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Every other bridle seems to be a flash.

I have a Pony Club mouse mat (don't ask) and it occurred to me the other day that over half the ponies in the pictures on it were in flashes.
It just seems the default.

I admit, I don't understand why they seem to be necessary so much of the time.

Lois Lame

Visit site
Yes, it's a rotton fashion. And they are not anywhere near the quality they once were.

Decades ago, when I used to think of such things, I decided a Grackle noseband to be superior to a Flash (if one needed it). I never bought one though as I have a very good dropped noseband (unusally good) if I want to use something to keep the mouth closed, but I almost never use it.

The bridle I use is one I have had for a very long time. I also have one I bought in England in 1974 - a beautifully made, pony-sized bridle. Not many creatures fit that gorgeous thing, as I tend to favour a stocky, well-built steed.

So much rubbish made these days in certain countries that have no skills for making it. And really, you need good tools in order to do a good job.

(Yes, this is a bugbear of mine. I have to gag myself at times when I'm on my soapbox.)

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Makes me crazy...........

I think there are two reasons everything comes with a flash:

1) Marketing - in the 90s adding a flash to a bridle was to give the impression that there was some type of innovation going on and they were reimagining (hate that word) bridles. You were getting something “free” or innovative over and above the standard cavesson.

2) Short cuts in training and misunderstanding of the purpose of a flash. My head snaps open when I hear “put a flash on to keep his mouth closed”. Or “he needs it so I can control him”.

The original purpose of a flash was to keep the bit in place on a young horse, done up loosely of course not to cause discomfort. It also gives stability to the bit in a sensitive horse or where the rider may have unsteady hands.

It was always meant to be dispensed with once training is established.

Showing my age (and arrogance in the desire to see a well trained horse with rider that considers horse welfare). I am the most hated dressage Marshall as I can’t stand seeing horses with their mouths strapped shut with tight flash noseband.

Rant over...........

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Everything is about 'control' these days. If you want to find something to create finesse, you need to trawl online. I remember when I started riding again after uni (a long time ago now) and nearly every teacher wanted me to put a flash on. Can't remember that being the case when I was 7/8yo in riding school. I do understand though that if you have a naughty pony and you need to get it out there and train, you might need something to help. In hindsight, I wish I'd been taught early on how to work a horse in hand to teach the horse what you want first rather than just expecting all the buttons to be in situ before you hop on and then need all manner of strappage and bits to make it do what you never taught.

I see so much tack designed only to strap shut, strap in, and fold the horse in two to make a shape (does anyone truly know what shape the horse needs to be inside to carry a rider?).

I'm massively generalising but I can't help but think the 'quick results' culture is endemic now. Not many young people, in particular, are interested in the slow cultivation of a riding horse you could stop with a thread of silk. The old ways, the original training of the horse manuals all collecting dust on some old weary rider's shelf.

tallyho!

Visit site
I think by providing them as standard, it’s just encouraging idiots to use them incorrectly . I know a fairly novice owner who just does the flash up as tight as it will go. I’m pretty sure the horse doesn’t even need one.
:( oh that's so sad. Poor horse. People can be retrained, it's if they want to see the 'other way'.

Even strong horses out hunting can be taught to listen. However, if they haven't been taught to listen then I can see why these extra straps are needed :(. All those cavalry horses were taught so why can't the average horse be?

Last edited:

Cherryblossom

Visit site
This has been driving me nuts! Our wee welshie came with a very old bridle with missing pink diamonte bits, I’ve been looking for months, but really, my 11.2 lead rein pony that carefully walks over trotting poles does not need a flash. Likewise my mare is just home from being broken; I’m tempted to just go and buy her a micklem as I can’t find a nice hunter bridle for her. I don’t like buying leather goods online as you can’t see the quality.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
I’ve noticed this - it seems so pointless. And so very frustrating when looking for a bridle, nearly all of them have a flash loop which I don’t want as I’m never going to use it.
Riders are putting them on as standard now, it’s just become the done thing. When I’m schooling something for the first time I ask why it’s in the tack it’s got - they nearly all have flashes and running martingales but don’t have a reason for it. And boots! If you’re putting boots on your horse in 30 degree weather for a light schooling session, at least have a reason for it!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've never struggled to find what I want tbh (which is almost always a cavesson) but I am always happy to buy online, I have some brands that I will choose happily just from pictures because they supply measurements so I know what will fit (e.g. sabre or jeffries), or do a pick and mix option so you can have bespoke bits.

i've only had one bridle fit well off the peg (and that was an IR bridle made by Issi Russell) so just don't even bother with them as my horses are in between sizes. Maybe that's why I find it easy, because I'm not looking at the same brands?

tallyho!

Visit site
Finding an off the peg one is hard I agree, but two of my bridles are mix n match. I buy each piece separately and put them together at home.

What I find is that browbands are too tight which pulls the crownpiece against the ears which is irritating which is why I always say to check browbands for head shakers. The other thing I see is the throatlatch on cheap bridles far too short! Again, pulling the crownpiece down and there is also a fashion around where the throatlatch is tight against the throat!! Even worse than a flash! What is going on???

Next bridle I think will be a made to measure!

millikins

Visit site
This has been driving me nuts! Our wee welshie came with a very old bridle with missing pink diamonte bits, I’ve been looking for months, but really, my 11.2 lead rein pony that carefully walks over trotting poles does not need a flash. Likewise my mare is just home from being broken; I’m tempted to just go and buy her a micklem as I can’t find a nice hunter bridle for her. I don’t like buying leather goods online as you can’t see the quality.

I've just bought an Ascot bridle with cavesson noseband for a shetland, it cost £30 without reins and quality is good, not "wow" but quite acceptable for everyday.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Preaching to the converted here. I ride in Micklems with the bottom strap removed. The simplicity to tack up is to die for!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Makes me crazy...........

I think there are two reasons everything comes with a flash:

1) Marketing - in the 90s adding a flash to a bridle was to give the impression that there was some type of innovation going on and they were reimagining (hate that word) bridles. You were getting something “free” or innovative over and above the standard cavesson.

2) Short cuts in training and misunderstanding of the purpose of a flash. My head snaps open when I hear “put a flash on to keep his mouth closed”. Or “he needs it so I can control him”.

The original purpose of a flash was to keep the bit in place on a young horse, done up loosely of course not to cause discomfort. It also gives stability to the bit in a sensitive horse or where the rider may have unsteady hands.

It was always meant to be dispensed with once training is established.

Showing my age (and arrogance in the desire to see a well trained horse with rider that considers horse welfare). I am the most hated dressage Marshall as I can’t stand seeing horses with their mouths strapped shut with tight flash noseband.

Rant over...........

Ooh careful, I dared to point out on here some years ago that a flash should be fitted to prevent the horse opening its mouth beyond a certain point, NOT fitted to keep the mouth closed, and I got well sneered at by a couple of people who couldn't see the difference.

Flashes can be extremely useful for young horses for all the reasons you give. Mine doesn't evade her bit at all, but she's more settled atm with a loosely fitted flash than without.

Her posh bridle is a m2m cavesson with plain and laced reins, more gorgeous than anything off the peg and no more expensive either.

tallyho!

Visit site
Ooh careful, I dared to point out on here some years ago that a flash should be fitted to prevent the horse opening its mouth beyond a certain point, NOT fitted to keep the mouth closed, and I got well sneered at by a couple of people who couldn't see the difference.

Flashes can be extremely useful for young horses for all the reasons you give. Mine doesn't evade her bit at all, but she's more settled atm with a loosely fitted flash than without.

Her posh bridle is a m2m cavesson with plain and laced reins, more gorgeous than anything off the peg and no more expensive either.

Sounds lush. How did the drop cavesson go out of fashion I wonder? I bet these were more comfortable than a noseband and the flash combined? If you think about it from a horse's PoV as you don't get mixed messages and an imbalance of pressure from both places on the jawline.

tallyho!

Visit site
I've just bought an Ascot bridle with cavesson noseband for a shetland, it cost £30 without reins and quality is good, not "wow" but quite acceptable for everyday.
I've never quite understood the "wow" bridle concept. However I like the craftsmanship in some. There are others I've seen that belong somewhere else......

Wit regard to the Micklem... I can't honestly think why the ancient shape of a bridle needs changing? It really is an ancient shape - you can see it in Indian temples, Greek pottery, Arabic reliefs the world over. Did I miss something and horses faces had changed? Theres only a problem if the various straps are pulled too tight or are fitted wrong. In all honesty, all you need is the crown strap/headstall and the reins... all the others were added on through mishaps out hunting according to the various books I've read.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've never quite understood the "wow" bridle concept. However I like the craftsmanship in some. There are others I've seen that belong somewhere else......

Wit regard to the Micklem... I can't honestly think why the ancient shape of a bridle needs changing? It really is an ancient shape - you can see it in Indian temples, Greek pottery, Arabic reliefs the world over. Did I miss something and horses faces had changed? Theres only a problem if the various straps are pulled too tight or are fitted wrong. In all honesty, all you need is the crown strap/headstall and the reins... all the others were added on through mishaps out hunting according to the various books I've read.

If you watch a horse with a standard bridle on, unless the bit is hoiked half way up the face, the cheek piece lifts and settles again repeatedly right on top of the nerve that runs down the side of the face.

I find the standard design of bridle completely illogical. Either the throat latch does sod all and may as well not be there, or it chokes the horse when it comes into an outline, and every rein aid makes the cheek piece move.

The early Greeks and Arabs, I think, didn't know about the nerves.

Last edited: