Why are people like this?

Quigleyandme

Visit site
A while back a couple of media types or celebrities, I can’t recall who, admitted they hadn’t washed their hands for years. Such was the general disgust at this admission they both recanted and said they had been joking. My local supermarket has installed, at no doubt huge expense, a hand washing station outside where we queue for our turn to enter the store. It is a long trough with three stations separated by plexiglass partitions where you can wash, dry and gel your hands with the utmost efficiency to safeguard yourself, fellow shoppers and more importantly the hard-working staff who have to continue to serve us when other people are at home collecting the €350 a week C19 payment which is probably more than they are earning. I would say only one in ten is actually using the wash station. No wonder this virus is so difficult to control and we are facing more months of lockdown, sickness, death and economic disaster when people can’t go to the Herculean bother of washing their bloody, and I mean that metaphorically, hands. I really despair.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Some have skin conditions which mean they can't use these products. Some will have other reasons and carry their own hand sanitizer (I'm in this category). Some will wait and sanitize after touching the potentially unclean trolley.

All you can do is take care of yourself. Don't go to the supermarket unless you need to and see every trip as a risk. There's nothing you can do about it so try not to let it annoy you.

Green Bean

Visit site
That’s strange, each shop seems to have different routines. The shop I go to sprays the handles of each trolley as they are brought back from the parking lot. There are no hand washing facilities but they do have an optional sanitizer station in the shop if you want to use it. As there may be a ramp down of restrictions I have started looking more intensely at protection measures as there may be more chance of catching the virus. I have face masks ready for my once a week shop visit as hand washing is not really the way to protect yourself, only others if you are already contaminated. It is amazing how incredibly difficult it is to not touch your face! I think the biggest concern is what your items you buy are contaminated with. We have all read the stories about rat poo and chemicals but each and every item you buy now has be touched so many times before you reach out and grab it, let alone the teller who has touched everyone else’s shopping before touching yours without changing their gloves each time!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My hand sanitiser is much harsher on my hands than soap and hot water. I think it is the alcohol which dries them out so if our supermarket had a washing hands station I would much rather use it and then spray my trolley with sanitiser and wipe it down. Currently going through hand cream at an alarming rate to stop skin cracks.

Goldenstar

Visit site
With some it’s likely to be an aversion to washing where others have been .
I have this I find it very hard to use sinks and loos away from home I have to like the look of them .
It could also would be they sanitise their hands in the car .
I would be fearful of using a communal washing facility .

Goldenstar

Visit site
My hand sanitiser is much harsher on my hands than soap and hot water. I think it is the alcohol which dries them out so if our supermarket had a washing hands station I would much rather use it and then spray my trolley with sanitiser and wipe it down. Currently going through hand cream at an alarming rate to stop skin cracks.

Yes hand cream will be one of the few growth businesses atm I am using loads

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Washing hands is the most effective tool we have against C19, hospital infections, typhoid and a myriad other nasties. At this wash station you don’t have to touch anything as it has a knee push for water and sensors for soap, air and gel. I too have dry, sensitive hands, the stuff at work would strip my skin off, and I am not usually all that virtue signalling/sanctimonious but if you could see the furtive, eyes down, didn’t see it scuttle past the wash station.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Both Tescos I use here are cleaning trolleys just after you have fetched one and already handled it, totally pointless.
I'm wearing gloves but I know how to do so properly as they are a daily occurrence.

I'm not sure I'd use a wash station.

Aldi Buxton are still using token/coin trollies adding to the number of necessary contacts by four and the disinfection point is inside the store.

I've suggested they unplug them, but no joy so far.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I say this and colleague said they were using them (while pointing out the flaw to them) but actually the last two times I've been they seem to have abandoned the idea and just left a bottle of spray on a table.

SpringArising

Visit site
I don't use those washing stations either. I wash my hands before I go out and carry my sanitiser with me, that only I touch.

Unless they're automated, I don't imagine hundreds of people touching the same soap dispenser is particularly sterile.

Expo

Visit site
I take disposable gloves and disinfectant spray with me shopping these days. Put on gloves, walk to trolley pick up, spray handle before touching it to try to avoid passing bugs from handle to goods. Keep gloves on while I shop, pay and load stuff into car. Remove gloves before driving home. Unload wearing gloves and isolate "new" shopping for 24 hours before using it. All sounds a bit of a faff but hubby is high risk so being extra careful. I have a friend who is a microbiologist for a food company ... following his advice about food packaging etc and so far, so good.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I wouldn't wash there because I use a hand foam that kills everything and keeps working for up to 4 hours.

My way of thinking is that if I washed my hands before entering a shop, the minute I touch anything my hands are potentially contaminated, whereas my hand foam will keep killing bacteria the whole time I'm in the shop.

I expect a lot of people use similar or have used a hand gel before they left their car.

be positive

Visit site
Both Tescos I use here are cleaning trolleys just after you have fetched one and already handled it, totally pointless.
I'm wearing gloves but I know how to do so properly as they are a daily occurrence.

Local Tescos are cleaning trolleys and then carefully pushing them to each customer, the other supermarket is expecting every customer to collect, push inside then spray which seems pointless but they have at last stopped the need for a token/£ coin.

Goldenstar

Visit site

I sanitise the handle of the trolley with my own stuff then move it into line using my elbows then do it again and then do my hands .
M and S clean the handle at the door but have nothing for customers hands ?
I do my hands several time during a shop.
As soon as I have paid I drop the credit card in a plastic bag and do my hands get back to the car unload get rid of the trolley .
Then get back to car do the door handles my hands get in do my phone the Credit card and the steering wheel gear stick etc etc I have 70% alcohol wipes for doing this .
To use the communal sink it would have to have the right sort of taps ie none or lever ones the cubicles would have to big enough so my sides never touched. It would need to be soap where I did not have to touch something anyone else had touched before hand washing and I would have to feel trust that they where cleaning the sinks every few people, otherwise I just could not do it.

SpringArising

Visit site
There's no way I'd want to be touching a trolley and basket right now, no matter what people are doing that they think is getting rid of the bacteria.

I've been taking my own bags in and filling them up, same as @Jeni the dragon. Unless you have a massive family or are buying a TONNE of food, I think this is the best way.

Kat

Visit site
There's no way I'd want to be touching a trolley and basket right now, no matter what people are doing that they think is getting rid of the bacteria.

I've been taking my own bags in and filling them up, same as @Jeni the dragon. Unless you have a massive family or are buying a TONNE of food, I think this is the best way.
Most shops here won't let you do this. In fact many won't let you in without a trolley.

Palindrome

Visit site
I touch the trolley (no disinfection around here) as well as the shopping, but I wear a mask and have glasses on so am conscious not to touch my mouth, nose or eyes. When I get home I put the shopping away and then wash my hands.
I go on the hypothesis that everything is contaminated outside. I don't wipe what goes into the fridge but the cupboard stuff goes into a crate for a few days. I buy a large amount of food as we are a family of 4 and I try to get enough in for 10 days.

be positive

Visit site

I live alone and am buying a weeks shopping at a time but would generally struggle to carry it round, my shop this morning was not huge but 2 bottles of orange juice, some fresh fruit, a bag of potatoes, a bottle of conditioner, loo rolls and several other smaller items, plus chocolate;) were heavy and bulky, trying to put into my own bags and carry it round the shop would have probably been more of a risk than using the washed trolley and wearing gloves.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Local Tescos are cleaning trolleys and then carefully pushing them to each customer,
similar, one has been pushing them towardsyou using the wire bit so you can catch the pre-cleaned handle. Other one has been cleaning the trolleys in the shed next to the entrance so you pick up a clean one on the way in.

[139672]

Visit site
After my chemo few years back now I was so worried about catching even a cold. I started then and have continued to always wash tap handles when I wash my hands and then rinse the tap with water using my hands. Hovering over the toilet seat is good for your muscles! :D I then get a hand towel, or loo paper if no towels and use that to open the door out of the toilets. I didn’t get strange looks when I wore a scarf/no hair but I do now sometimes but whatever. I work in a large secondary school and my colleagues laugh at me. If any sick kids come in the office I always wipe down any door handles they’ve touched and if they feel poorly and need to speak with parents I put my phone on speaker so they don’t touch it. Also, if any bugs going around the school I am always wiping our office door and handles. My nephew is notoriously bad about not washing his hands after using the loo and I always lecture and tell him off about it. He also never! bothers to flush the loo either and I get so cross with him. Disgusting child :mad:

Visit site
Meanwhile our local village shop has been thoroughly congratulated for caring so much for the community that they have installed an antibacterial hand wash outside their shop, complete with wash basin that does not drain and isn't changed after each customer. :rolleyes:

The spread of coronavirus depends on two things: the density of the population and the density of the population. :p

mini_b

Visit site
Mum was in supermarket the other day...
The cashier was complaining about the current situation as I’m sure we all love to, you know get it off our chest.

the thing that had her most begrudged was she had to wash her hands all the time, after the toilet as well!
She categorically said “I’m sick of having to wash my hands after the toilet”

absolutely gob smacked.
Mum is something else when it comes to cleanliness and hygiene at the best of times. I bet she packed her shopping, then set it on fire when she got home.
And the car.
And then gave herself a bleach bath.

SpringArising

Visit site
I live alone and am buying a weeks shopping at a time but would generally struggle to carry it round, my shop this morning was not huge but 2 bottles of orange juice, some fresh fruit, a bag of potatoes, a bottle of conditioner, loo rolls and several other smaller items, plus chocolate;) were heavy and bulky, trying to put into my own bags and carry it round the shop would have probably been more of a risk than using the washed trolley and wearing gloves.

I have to admit it's a bit of a struggle, and involves a fair bit of effort!

Missidi

Visit site
I work at a corner shop owned by Tesco, and we are cleaning the baskets regularly, but there is also a "cleaning station" for customers to spray and wipe the handles if they want to. Most customers don't bother, or if they do, they use the paper towel but not the spray ?
Not a big deal as we clean them anyway.

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
Mum was in supermarket the other day...
The cashier was complaining about the current situation as I’m sure we all love to, you know get it off our chest.

the thing that had her most begrudged was she had to wash her hands all the time, after the toilet as well!
She categorically said “I’m sick of having to wash my hands after the toilet”

absolutely gob smacked.

I work at a university, ie the building is allegedly full of educated/intelligent people. I've been sat in the ladies, heard someone urinate in the next cubicle, and then walk straight out without using the (noisy) sink and dryer. I genuinely didn't think it was possible to not wash your hands after going to the toilet; it's so ingrained in how I was brought up it's just automatic.