Why are saddle so IMPOSSIBLE!

Lolo

Visit site
Honestly, Reggie lives to be awkward, I swear. Every 3 months he outgrows his saddle, and now his current one can no longer be sorted to fit him because he's too huge.

Fitting a saddle to a horse who is both very short coupled (17", maybe 17.5" on a 17.2hh...) but also huge. He has enormous shoulders (well, he's enormous all over!) and high withers. Nothing fits him and suits Al. The Albion Legend came closest, and now that's given up. He also needs a saddle which will do for both dressage and showing, although if worst comes to worse we can pad out his current saddle for his brief showing forays and hope for the best.

Any suggestions? What we've found is that he'd actually like something like an Equipe or a Butet, thank you very much. He's got super taste, but unless anyone has one hidden away for about £500 we're a bit stumped! Or if anyone wants an Albion and a Collegiate saddle, in awesome nick, in exchange for their Equipe/ Butet, that would also work ;)

JustMe22

Visit site
Agree! I think I've given up - we seem to have constant saddle troubles. I have the same problem with the withers and then massive shoulders.

My jumping saddle at the moment (though I can't guarantee it fits, I only just started riding after 2 months off..AGAIN..and he is complaining!) is a Tekna A4 jump saddle. The only thing is, the flaps aren't that long so I had to go up a size to 17.5inch, instead of 17. Not a problem if you're short though :) And apparently I have a long thigh to knee ratio - who knew!

Worth looking at :) Both my saddles I use a sheepskin halfpad though, and when I can be bothered, a gel pad on his skin.

Have no idea regarding equipe/butet - that's the problem with living in Africa. My dressage saddle is a county competitor dressage, if that helps. Friend had the same saddle on horse of a very similar build.

Lolo

Visit site
I'm short but my sister, who is the rider, is pretty much 90% leg to add to the mess.

I suggested bareback, but got the online equivalent of a stony glare!

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's very difficult I had one who needed fortnightly fittings at one point.
But I am lucky as I have a lot of saddles stored and can usually find a way through.
There's not really an easy answer but you are not alone.

HayleyUK

Visit site
Joining the club also!

Have a still growing 5yo riding pony who is awkward to the extreme. C needs a curved tree, is short coupled (16.5inch max in a 15hh) and also has expensive taste!

Firewell

Visit site
Both Jae and my mums TB are the same! High withers, compact, big shoulders and rib cage..
Kieffer saddles fit both like a dream... the ones with the traditional tree and the cut back head.
Jae has a kieffer garmish at the moment which is not bad for a rider with long legs! Lex2501 has to ride in it and she has very long legs and so does my 5ft9 mum and they both manage even though it's only 17inch.
It fits really nicely behind Jaes shoulder. I'd look at the Kieffers if I was you, they seem made for TB's and come in MW but are heat adjustable.
I got my year old garmish off ebay for £400 (retail £1,300) and a 5 year old Kieffer Ulla saddle (retail £2,700) for £450 on preloved so they are out there.
They are also really easy to resell if it doesn't work out, I bought a Kieffer Wien dressage saddle which fitted Jae but it wasn't supportive enough for me, it was 20 years old but in perfect condition and I still got £250 off ebay for it last year!

Not like my brand new Shilouette event saddle which cost £750 brand new, was totally wrong for the TB shape and I had to list it 5 times over 3 months on ebay and even then only managed to scrape £250 for it.

anna22

Visit site
Have you thought of a CAIR saddle? I have one for my giant (17.1h, short back, SFxID with incredibly high withers etc etc). Mine's a Sue Carson close contact, and yes was very expensive new but thankfully I didn't buy it it came with him :) But you can get a nice 2nd hand one for a reasonable price, I saw some on saddles direct.
It is incredibly adjustable, and still fits (with modification to the air panels) even though he has piled on the flesh around his withers and shoulders. He loves it too, it's quite light for it's size (18") and very soft and supple over his back. I bought him a flocked dressage saddle a while back... not happy pony! Fit lovely but I think the flocking wasn't soft enough for him, he's a sensitive soul :rolleyes:.

Maybe a bates too, they do cair or flocked and I was recommended one by my saddler for a high withered horse.

Dizzle

Visit site
I had exactly the same issue with my tb, massive shoulders and fairly short coupled.

Whilst I was trying to get sorted with a new saddle I borrowed a Shires adjustable saddle from a friend, really cheap temporary saddle and it was the best saddle I have ever found to fit my tb! It just fitted his withers and shoulders perfectly and they’re only a few hundred new, plus it was an adjustable gullet so we had scope for change over winter and summer. Saddler agreed it was an amazing fit but sadly both saddler and I are too snobby for a cheap saddle so I ended up with an Albion. I think if I’d have kept the horse I’d have bought a Shires saddle for him.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Interesting you mention the old style Kieffers, F. . .the Passiers are a similar design - technically they are 'semi cut back' and have a similar popularity and longevity. Makes you wonder. . .

I think some of it is expectations. I would expect a horse between backing and maturity to change saddles, some as often as 4 times. Interestingly, many end up, at 6 ish, in whatever fit at 3! This isn't news to anyone who starts horses so why do saddlers not inform/plan accordingly?

Ditto 'perfect' fit, no padding etc. I've never been on a big professional yard that has a saddle for every horse! Again, it's virtually expected that you will do minor adjustments with pads, not only between horses but for the same horse depending on weight, work load etc.

I know it's frustrating but I.do think it's bizarre that any saddler promises perfection when it's so clearly never an option.

zizz

Visit site
Have you looked at the new GFS saddles? They do a different shaped panel for high withered but well muscled horses.

Lolo

Visit site
Al doesn't fit GPs, sadly. She's too long in the leg, and rides too short XC for them to be ok and the blocks always cause problems as a result. She also couldn't get on with Wow saddles, and Reg doesn't like air-bag saddles we've found. They are SO awkward!

The added issue is Al's very smart new pony who is going to require a jumping saddle soonish! Luckily he's fairly off-the-peg compared to Reg.

Plan is to sell essentially everything they don't need/ use regularly to try and take Reg's extensive wardrobe down to a more normal size to try and get to about £600ish, and then try and find something for up to £800, and hope Reg's current saddle then sells to pay the last bit back later...

Lolo

Visit site
Interesting you mention the old style Kieffers, F. . .the Passiers are a similar design - technically they are 'semi cut back' and have a similar popularity and longevity. Makes you wonder. . .

I think some of it is expectations. I would expect a horse between backing and maturity to change saddles, some as often as 4 times. Interestingly, many end up, at 6 ish, in whatever fit at 3! This isn't news to anyone who starts horses so why do saddlers not inform/plan accordingly?

Ditto 'perfect' fit, no padding etc. I've never been on a big professional yard that has a saddle for every horse! Again, it's virtually expected that you will do minor adjustments with pads, not only between horses but for the same horse depending on weight, work load etc.

I know it's frustrating but I.do think it's bizarre that any saddler promises perfection when it's so clearly never an option.

Reg was 9 when Al got him and is 13 now, so not a growing baby (although he gets treated as one, spoilt pony).

Hopefully Reg and Smokey will be able to share, as they're the same back length, so by fitting to Reg and carefully padding it will then fit Smokey (as Smokey is narrower than Reg). Obviously this will be done with checks by more knowledgeable people!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I told you big shouldered animals aren't allowed to jump. You must stop now :mad:

I feel your pain!

Lolo

Visit site
I told you big shouldered animals aren't allowed to jump. You must stop now :mad:

I feel your pain!

I'll leave it to you to tell Reg he's only allowed to ponce from now on in... ;)

To add, his Albion's already adjusted as much as possible with padding and shims, and through adjustments in the flocking. But even with as good as we'll get through that he's getting some white hairs appearing on his back :(

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
when i attempted to leave the floor i had a whitaker jump saddle on CS, who is tall, huge shoulders and very chunky for a TB. i never really felt *that* supported and the only time he's managed to ditch me it was in that saddle BUT they do an event style one with better blocks and support, i just couldnt find one second hand-worth a furtle?

showing dressage wise would second the kieffer option.

millitiger

Visit site
I would try and find a secondhand Passier jumping saddle if you can- Vinnie has enormous shoulders and long withers but also has well sprung ribs so finding a saddle was difficult.

I am also super long from hip- thigh and the Passier was the only saddle under £3k to really fit us both.

Copperpot

Visit site
I will join in the moan. Bought a new Wow last November for said horse but I'm still not happy. It slips to one side and have to use limpet pad and neoprene girth to keep it put. Been told he has a sore back now :( don't know whether to persevere with it or sell it and start again!

seabsicuit2

Visit site
I think the Equipe Synergy is a fabulous saddle- literally seems to fit everything in the yard I'm at from big chunky stallions to little small Tb's. the only horse it didn't fit was one with a bit of muscle wastage. Otherwise they all go so well with it- including horses that were previously known to be sharp/difficult .
The Equipe's sell for £750 second hand, they are always coming up for sale on Preloved.

TableDancer

Visit site
Just a thought: Mel85 on here and her partner SW have just started using Solution Saddles on theirs, and Mel is a real convert - and she isn't at all fluffy, iykwim :p Her horse as huge shoulders and a high wither and is practically jumping her off in the new saddle - in a good way ;) :) Might we worth having a chat with her about them - again, they are pricey, but they do come up secondhand.

KatB

Visit site
Agree with Seabiscuit about the equipes, but would say you'd be lucky to get one second hand for under £850 in a useful size (eg not a narrow or 16.5"!)

Lolo

Visit site
I will join in the moan. Bought a new Wow last November for said horse but I'm still not happy. It slips to one side and have to use limpet pad and neoprene girth to keep it put. Been told he has a sore back now :( don't know whether to persevere with it or sell it and start again!

Al couldn't stand the Wow she rode in, and Reg wasn't far behind in agreeing with her- they seem to be real marmite saddles!

I think the Equipe Synergy is a fabulous saddle- literally seems to fit everything in the yard I'm at from big chunky stallions to little small Tb's. the only horse it didn't fit was one with a bit of muscle wastage. Otherwise they all go so well with it- including horses that were previously known to be sharp/difficult .
The Equipe's sell for £750 second hand, they are always coming up for sale on Preloved.

There's an Equipe Synergy Al has her eye on on eBay atm, for about £700 which is a 17" medium wide... Trouble is she'll have to bankrupt herself buying it!

Just a thought: Mel85 on here and her partner SW have just started using Solution Saddles on theirs, and Mel is a real convert - and she isn't at all fluffy, iykwim :p Her horse as huge shoulders and a high wither and is practically jumping her off in the new saddle - in a good way ;) :) Might we worth having a chat with her about them - again, they are pricey, but they do come up secondhand.

Thank you- will message her :)

Copperpot

Visit site
The horse seems to like it, it's more me that doesn't. The slipping does annoy me thou. But as I paid a shed load of money for it I've been persevering!

becca1305

Visit site
As a leggy person I'm afraid I have to agree with an equipe synergy. I love mine I fit fine into a 17.5inch (little mare can't carry any longer saddle) with forward cut flaps, and I'm just under 6ft with long thigh bones. Absolutely the best saddle I've ridden in for me. I am keeping my eye out for a second hand 18inch synergy for my big mare as that would be perfect for me and also big mare as she has to use halfpad with current saddle as little mare needs one size wider than her, but so few issues with the 17.5inch if I can't find an 18 (they are like gold dust!) then I would buy another 17.5 but in a narrower fit. I am having my saddler out to check the fit on their DR saddle (another equipe) and will ask her if there is anything else really similar to the synergy (and in an absolutely ideal world a little cheaper!) that I should keep an eye out for secondhand - if she has any recommendations I can pass on them on if you'd like? :)

CAH7

Visit site
I've had similar problems - trying to fit both a short-coupled, big-shouldered horse, and my long legs! Now I have a lovely Exselle Integra monoflap jump saddle, which I am in love with (have a look on Tack Direct - they were doing a great deal on these, which are made to order). Hope that helps! Best of luck. :)

dressagelove

Visit site
I know you aren't asking for a saddler, but I would massively recommend Lavinia Mitchell. She is quite pricey, and you might have to wait a little while, but she is nothing short of a miracle worker. PM if you want more details x