Why are the majority of top male dressage riders gay?

christine48

Visit site
just had a thought - most top male eventers are straight, as are showjumpers.

But in dressage the majority of top male riders are gay...

anyone spot something?
tongue.gif

There are a lot of gay male event riders, some haven't come out of the closet yet!

Mince Pie

Visit site
Ahahaha! "lively" - that's certainly one way of describing this place :D

As someone posted earlier, AG is certainly not gay (thank God! That would be, as Theoryx1 put it, a waste of a man) and that's good enough for me :D

(incidentally does anyone remember the AG/custard thread?)

armchair_rider

Visit site
So is CH Britain's first openly gay olympic medallist? He certainly isn't the first openly gay olympic gold medallist, Matthew Mitcham won the diving in Beijing

skewbaldpony

Visit site
On a serious note, historically, maybe because the big European training centres were pretty much all guys together, and when being gay was less acceptable, would have been much nicer/safer places to be than many others?
On a less serious note, dressage is practiced especially in the USA, by some very wealthy ladies, kept in horses and facilities by some very wealthy and very powerful, not to mention frequently absent, husbands. They need trainers both to ride their horses and teach them, as well as to decorate the place.
Now, which ones do you think get the gig?! ;)

TarrSteps

Visit site
^ Robert Dover would be pleased to know he's 'decorative'! ;)

And they two guys I know that have gigs like that are DEFINITELY not gay. :D

I would say the Continental schools, being military in origin and generally very macho, would not have been gay-friendly at all! In fact, the only out European riders I can think of are EG and HPM.

American showjumping is a bit different, as it's had a VERY powerful gay man at the top of the sport for decades. Also, the high powered Equitation program has traditionally attracted a lot of 'questioning' teen-aged boys in the same way theatre clubs have!

The question isn't really why are the numbers not representative. The numbers in riding actually reflect close to the general population - it only looks unusual relative to other sports.

The other point is, of course, we don't know that much about a lot of sport stars' relationship status. There are certainly people who are out in that they don't lie about it but for whatever reason it doesn't come up. I know a rider who is gay but not currently in a long term relationship and has never been in one with anyone horsey - why would it come up in the context of the Olympics? I also know someone whose kid is a budding film actor with a movie coming out - it's just not pertinent.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I think its also to do with the fact the horse world, in the uk at least is more tolerant of gay males, so more likely to come out than in sports such as rugby, football etc, where I imagine its more private. Doesn't explain why dressage has a higher number than sj or eventing though. Tbh though its pretty irrelevant. It just seems a waste, & sods law to a filthy minded female like me! And I remember being gutted years ago in my teens when I realised Carl hester was gay!