Why can't other dog walkers listen to you 😠

maisie06

Visit site
What is it with the "he's friendly" brigade that they can't just accept that you don't want their dog all over yours? I may well be extra cranky through lack of sleep but although Ash is now 100% sound and pain free I would consider him to still be rehabbing from his back injury, by that I mean he stays on the lead and is building his strength back up so currently only up to 20 minute walks, he is pretty dog neutr but noodle gets very excited by other dogs and then that ramps him up a bit and at the moment I don't want the 2 of them spinning around trying to play with someone's "friendly" dog. This morning I politely pulled over to give a woman space to pass with her 2 as mine were dawdling along sniffing, hers were on flexi leads and came straight over, I asked her to take them away from mine as he was recovering from injury and I didn't want him overexcited and bouncing around and she just said how calm and friendly hers were and that it would be fine... Ffs 😠😠😠

I have taken to telling this type of idiot that my dog has a terrible flea problem this year - they can't drag their dog away fast enough - try it!!!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
This happened to us yesterday.

ZNNNOLf.jpg

The one in the middle isn’t ours. He just appeared from nowhere and was a few minutes before an owner showed up. Luckily, Bo was off lead or may have been a different story.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Mr JB was walking Juno today, on lead as she's in season. Labrador came sniffing around her, and he tells the owner that she's in season (so might be a good idea to keep him away). "Well, he's a stud dog and if she was properly in season she'd be submitting to him" was the owner's response, so Mr JB said "no, she clearly just doesn't fancy him as he's overweight and butt ugly" and walked off with her.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i met some poeple on my walk today who had a yorkie who they picked up as soon as they saw me. i put my terrier on the lead and they stopped to talk to me and warned me about someone who was walking a greyhound and a mastiff on leads and one of them bit the yorkie who was off lead and ran up to them.....she was bitten quite badly and needed stitches and is now worried about other dogs..,.. i cannot believe that someone would let their tiny dog run up to 2 large dogs on leads whatever their breed..... surely if someone had their dogs on leads you would stop yours from bothering them and would be in the wrong if your dog was bitten. i despair !!!!!

NAJRBSJ

Visit site
Nightmare isn't it
I think all dog owners should have to do a basic test / licence

The other day I saw something dark coloured ahead in the forest so recalled my two and popped back on lead........ turns out it was the biggest pair of great danes I have ever seen ! They came full pelt over to us and it scared the life out of me too. Rupert hid behind me and little Pippa threw herself on the floor and screamed the biggest most horrid scream ever.

They were just big loveable rogues who were friendly but my poor Pippa didn't know what to do (terrier x)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well this week is the time of year for tourists in my neck of the woods. So many with dogs (which for the most part cause no bother).

But walking my group the other afternoon I pulled off the path to let a couple and their on lead Dogue de Bordeaux pass (my group we’re all little minis) and what do they do? Yes, allow their dog over for an uninvited sniff. Now I’m not one to get my knickers in a twist about things like this. 99% of dogs we meet are absolutely great. But my dogs were small, the Mastiff huge, and it was obvious that I was giving them space, not inviting interaction, sigh.....

They were very puzzled at me turning my back to the dog, and taking a spread leg stance to block it, whilst mine all sat politely at my feet.

Can’t wait for the holiday season to be over.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Well this week is the time of year for tourists in my neck of the woods. So many with dogs (which for the most part cause no bother).

But walking my group the other afternoon I pulled off the path to let a couple and their on lead Dogue de Bordeaux pass (my group we’re all little minis) and what do they do? Yes, allow their dog over for an uninvited sniff. Now I’m not one to get my knickers in a twist about things like this. 99% of dogs we meet are absolutely great. But my dogs were small, the Mastiff huge, and it was obvious that I was giving them space, not inviting interaction, sigh.....

They were very puzzled at me turning my back to the dog, and taking a spread leg stance to block it, whilst mine all sat politely at my feet.

Can’t wait for the holiday season to be over.

First off, this isn’t a pop at you🙂 but I do wonder if as owners we are overprotective. I wouldn’t have an issue with a larger breed approaching my terriers as they can hold their own and most mastiffs I’ve met have been dopes on a rope & petrified of the yappy little gits!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
First off, this isn’t a pop at you🙂 but I do wonder if as owners we are overprotective. I wouldn’t have an issue with a larger breed approaching my terriers as they can hold their own and most mastiffs I’ve met have been dopes on a rope & petrified of the yappy little gits!

Oh I’m not over protective, far from it. My little dog is quite free to interact with other dogs large and small. But in this particular instance I was not permitting or inviting interaction due to having four on-lead dogs, being on a narrow path, and having one dog in particular who is nervous of large dogs.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Oh I’m not over protective, far from it. My little dog is quite free to interact with other dogs large and small. But in this particular instance I was not permitting or inviting interaction due to having four on-lead dogs, being on a narrow path, and having one dog in particular who is nervous of large dogs.

Fair enough.🙂 Every situation is different and you would hope that other dog walkers would have the common sense to act appropriately but clearly not in your case.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my little terrier is very trusting and friendly to all dogs so if i see any dog on a lead, i put him on so he can say hello if the other dog wants to interact but dont allow him near if the other dog is not happy,, i try to read other dogs who are off lead and 9 times out of 10 all is ok but sometimes i am cautious as he is so tiny a staffie cross or larger dog could easily kill him and he would not fight back as he doesnt have that side of the terrier in him...so he then goes on the lead until i am sure the other dog is friendly. he is off lead most of the time and i leave him to get on with it.....