Why do people have to make you feel guilty..

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Ok so I keep my horses cheaply, they live out 24/7. They see the farrier, vet, dentist as needed and I use a physio and saddle fitter several times a year. I occasionally buy nice stuff I like such as the odd matchy set but generally their stuff is basic and often 2nd hand. I commented the other day on a FB post and got a reply that has, probably irrationally, got me down and upset me a bit. I'm usually pretty thick skinned but I commented that I used Thorowgood T4 saddles for my 2 horses as they were inexpensive, adjustable and lightweight. I got shot down saying that these were not good reasons for buying sh*t stuff and that if I couldn't afford to purchase "proper" tack that I shouldn't keep horses. !! I use these saddles as I can't afford to keep replacing saddles for the younger horse, though if he needed a different type he would get one. I struggle with my Fibromyalgia to lift leather saddles these days and the synthetic are easier to clean.
Saddle fitter is happy with the saddles and their fit and we adjust the gullet etc as needed.
But now I'm questioning everything I buy and feeling bad.
Is it just me or do some people just really sick the fun out of everything..???

HorseMaid

Visit site
Absolutely NOTHING wrong with a thorowgood T4! I had one for years as did my friend, I now have a leather one but in some ways wish I still had the bleddy T4 as I didn't spend any time stressing about it being dirty or getting wet (in the sea ?) and it was light, horses went well in them. Some people are just ridiculous, ignore them and carry on doing what you're doing!

twobearsarthur

Visit site
This is why I don’t “do” social media. Opinions are like a** holes, everybodies got one and they usually stink. There’s a type of person who gets their kicks from belittling other people. Please remember that’s their deficit not yours. I’m a second hand Annie and proud. Don’t give them headspace. Unfortunately people say things behind the protection of a computer screen that they wouldn’t dream of saying in real life. Enjoy your horses with their correctly fitted T4’s and leave the haters behind you where they belong.

Elno

Visit site
I'm very sad that I can't get a Thorowgood saddle to fit my horse. He has a enormous wither and swayed back and most if not all Thorowgoods are pretty flat. When I bought him I actually found a High wither T4 second hand (this model happens to be rare as hen's teeth in Sweden) but it fitted horribly on him so I had to sell it on ?

They are lightweight, durable and comfortable. I have had several saddles ranging from cheap to expansive and Thorowgood t8 S series jump is by far my all time favourite.

Oh, and people are horrible in general. Pay no attention.

nagblagger

Visit site
I'm glad i'm not on social media, my horse care is worse than yours SatansLittleHelper ! I ride in a treeless saddle, horses live out 24/7, obviously farrier, barefoot, vets but no routine physio. Second hand equipment bought and used when necessary.
My horses have not complained at all about having 'used' goods, all they care about is that it fits them and is comfortable, their needs are met. They are the ones that are important to me, not what other people think!

HorseyTee

Visit site
Don't let a comment from someone who doesn't matter waste anymore seconds of your life.

Nothing wrong with using products that are cheaper than other similar products if it works.

I keep my horses similar to you, live out, my saddle is second hand from a fitter, we don't have match sets or anything, in fact the bridle and saddle cloth are the ones my horse came with 6 years ago. Nothing wrong with them so they've not needed to be replaced.

Just because someone spends xxxx amount on something doesn't mean they care for their horse any better.

Ratface

Visit site
Pure ignorance and spite. "Not our sort, dear" as mother used to say. Her ultimate put down. Followed by "Let it pass".
Anyway, I'm furious on your behalf. How ******* dare they!
Another relative had a less elegant comment in such circumstances: " I wouldn't give them the drippings off my nose". Quite so.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I have still got the T4 suggested and fitted to my late youngster by a master saddler. He said it would be easy to adjust as the boy grew / filled and it did exactly that. We went through 4 changes of gullet in a couple of years!!

OP your horses are well cared for so please ignore those hurtful comments it is very easy to be spiteful from behind a keyboard!!!