Why do people want to own cobs?

Beausmate

Visit site
Or if you get one of those weatherproof lyca hoods, all you need to look at is their nose

Nooooooo!!!! The horror :eek:

2013-12-17-1058_zps43f9e3bf.jpg

Shooting Star

Visit site
no really I don't know why anybody would want to buy one ... except some how I found myself going on a 9hr round journey last week to buy one so umm, the reason for buying it is that the sports horse keeps breaking - 10" bone should be more hardy than the flimsy tb x yes?:lol:

JJS

Visit site
Mine is somehow able to eat as much as he wants whilst still remaining a lean, healthy weight. He's clearly faulty :( Is there a Cobs R Us exchange place that I can take him to for a refund?

I have one of those. She doesn't bother to grow a winter coat either. I suspect she's read this thread and is trying to masquerade as something lighter, finer, and with better breeding.

Antw23uk

Visit site
no really I don't know why anybody would want to buy one ... except some how I found myself going on a 9hr round journey last week to buy one so umm, the reason for buying it is that the sports horse keeps breaking - 10" bone should be more hardy than the flimsy tb x yes?:lol:

Yeah but you get 10" of bone with an Irish draught and they are so much easier on the eye ;)

alice1234

Visit site
Because I had to find a pony under 20 minutes/cycling distance away for loan to stay at current yard for under a budget, or my dad wouldn't have let me ride at all, other than riding school ponies once a week! I spent 8 months searching and finally found one, so I couldn't really be fussy about breed.
Although I wouldn't have chosen a cob, I love her to pieces and wouldn't swap her for any other horse. I've jumped her 1.05 (she's 14hh) and have been told she'll jump higher, she can be stubborn and lazy at times but no more so than lots of other non-cobs I've ridden

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I want a cob because they eat less than my new warmblood ��

Whhaatt? A COB? That eats LESS?? Than any other horse???

You my lady have been well conned. You need to go trading standards or something because you have the wool well and truly.

Are you even sure your warmblood isn't a COB in disguise. There is nothing on this planet that eats more than what cobs do. If they were cars, they'd be a Mitsubishi Shogun. The gas-guzzler of the gas-guzzlers. Literally, a flap of hay per metre.

My advice is - check the label. Usually somewhere between the tail and the buttock. (Should be a CE mark an' all just be sure its proper genuine).

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Whhaatt? A COB? That eats LESS?? Than any other horse???

You my lady have been well conned. You need to go trading standards or something because you have the wool well and truly.

Are you even sure your warmblood isn't a COB in disguise. There is nothing on this planet that eats more than what cobs do. If they were cars, they'd be a Mitsubishi Shogun. The gas-guzzler of the gas-guzzlers. Literally, a flap of hay per metre.

My advice is - check the label. Usually somewhere between the tail and the buttock. (Should be a CE mark an' all just be sure its proper genuine).

Checked all over there's no CE mark anywhere. I needed to use a step ladder to check the top of it. Do you think I've been done?

I was a bit suspicious already to be honest because despite measuring 17hh the 14.2 cob rugs and tack dropped straight on him?!

Exhibit a)

Please note the genuine cob is NOT the one eating

02C2478E-CEE5-4D0A-8B54-C1C8A3D5EA2C_zps8ezhvbya.jpg

Exhibit b)

Er again, the cob isn't eating...

69F9A908-5B03-4A71-B68D-668320B0B823_zpsg9fmblix.jpg

Cobbytype

Visit site
I think I know the problem with your cob FW. The second pic is the dead giveaway, as cob has the exact same expression I wear when having to endure listening to my mother-in-law eating; tis enough to put anyone of their grub. *tut* what do they teach warmbloods at finishing school these days?

tallyho!

Visit site
*GASP*

I've heard of fake wine.... and seen it. I've heard of fake mince pies.... and seen it.

I have never actually until now seen a fake cob with my very own eyes..... FW. Do the right thing and warn others of this plague that has besieged us!!

meleeka

Visit site
That's definitely a fake! For a start the nearly white feathers are a dead giveaway. I have a genuine cob who does actually eat his own considerable bodyweight every day. He also is incapable of white legs, mud in winter and poo in summer. I haven't found his CE mark yet, must have a look when he sheds his winter coat. I'm hoping his ribs make a reappearance then too.

catkin

Visit site
Your warmblood is a cob who's had some cosmetic work done. The lack of a moustache is no proof - he's got a tube of Immac stashed somewhere. The appetite is the dead giveaway - he's got a new non-cob identity

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Your warmblood is a cob who's had some cosmetic work done. The lack of a moustache is no proof - he's got a tube of Immac stashed somewhere. The appetite is the dead giveaway - he's got a new non-cob identity

That's great news. I'm so happy :D

B77B2AD3-E676-4450-912F-6CED9C037D66_zpsbchdt2sx.png

One question tho. He hasn't stopped eating for the whole month I've owned him and I can still see his ribs. WHAT IS THAT ABOUT?! Where's it going :eek:

meleeka

Visit site
That's great news. I'm so happy :D

B77B2AD3-E676-4450-912F-6CED9C037D66_zpsbchdt2sx.png

One question tho. He hasn't stopped eating for the whole month I've owned him and I can still see his ribs. WHAT IS THAT ABOUT?! Where's it going :eek:

If it's a cob in disguise it just goes
I'm one end. multiplies and comes out t'other, disguised as rhino dung.

Are you sure with all the work hes had done he hasn't had a rib removed?! I hear it's a popular procedure for some.

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If it's a cob in disguise it just goes
I'm one end. multiplies and comes out t'other, disguised as rhino dung.

Are you sure with all the work hes had done he hasn't had a rib removed?! I hear it's a popular procedure for some.

It certainly goes in one end and out the other. It's a full time job cleaning up the elephant enclosure.

Wanders off to count his ribs...

only_me

Visit site
I was a bit suspicious already to be honest because despite measuring 17hh the 14.2 cob rugs and tack dropped straight on him?!

Obviously the person that bred him was so dismayed that they had bred a cob, that they fed him racehorse feed and all the haylege he could eat to try and turn him into a proper, useful horse. I also suspect that they kept him in the stable at all times due to their embarrassment of producing such a common, useless thing.

Because of this, he grew upwards instead of the expected outwards, resulting in him becoming 17h, thanks to all that high energy food.
It was only at this point they realised that nothing could mask the inner cob so they sold him on, disguised as a heavy weight hunter.

Therefore, he is a very confused horse as inside he is a cob, with all cob characteristics (eating, sleeping, eating) but looks like a normal horse. I think he may need therapy sessions, to realise his true self, which maybe why he gets on so well with your proper looking cob, who has accepted who he is.

tallyho!

Visit site
Wait a minute you people it's the WB I'm suspicious may be a cob or waste disposal unit there's no doubting the cob.

The cob is real. I have PROOF!

HA!

FB363D76-B970-417B-A203-03DAD664FDA3_zpshbakujj7.jpg

2 weeks growth!

Eeeewwwww!!!! Do you have to... I'm trying to eat lunch.

*shakes head* some people have no shame.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Checked all over there's no CE mark anywhere. I needed to use a step ladder to check the top of it. Do you think I've been done?

Exhibit a)

Please note the genuine cob is NOT the one eating

02C2478E-CEE5-4D0A-8B54-C1C8A3D5EA2C_zps8ezhvbya.jpg

Exhibit b)

Er again, the cob isn't eating...

69F9A908-5B03-4A71-B68D-668320B0B823_zpsg9fmblix.jpg

Summat wrong with that cob.

Have you nailed his feet to the floor?