Why do people want to own cobs?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
UNDER??? Cobs don't DO under, they do more like THROUGH! They are like Rhinocerous, rhinocerouses oh sod it, rhinos with no horn.

respect horses

New User
Visit site
cobs are amazing, you can do everything with them! i have owned an irish cob for over two years now and you wouldnt have thought he was a cob, he is definitely not slow, can jump 1 metre 20 with ease and well all the hair eg feather etc can be clipped of, thats what i do with mine, so my horse has got the temperment of a cob, but with the ability of other horses, yes they arent as flashy, but in the end, you dont really need a flashy horse for everyday riding. i can make my cob look flashy quite easily, just by clipping and that but they are so much more economical than other horses like warmbloods. the horse i had before this one was a warmblood and by god did it cost a lot ot run it, like food cost, veterinary bill etc whereas with my cob, the food cost is minimal, veterinary fees are just for the yearly jabs so alot cheaper than warmbloods etc. but i guess its everyones opinion in the end, some people hate cobs and love the finer horses but now having a cob, id never go back to owning a finer horse as cobs are just so much more fun! :D

Fii

Visit site
cobs are amazing, you can do everything with them! i have owned an irish cob for over two years now and you wouldnt have thought he was a cob, he is definitely not slow, can jump 1 metre 20 with ease and well all the hair eg feather etc can be clipped of, thats what i do with mine, so my horse has got the temperment of a cob, but with the ability of other horses, yes they arent as flashy, but in the end, you dont really need a flashy horse for everyday riding. i can make my cob look flashy quite easily, just by clipping and that but they are so much more economical than other horses like warmbloods. the horse i had before this one was a warmblood and by god did it cost a lot ot run it, like food cost, veterinary bill etc whereas with my cob, the food cost is minimal, veterinary fees are just for the yearly jabs so alot cheaper than warmbloods etc. but i guess its everyones opinion in the end, some people hate cobs and love the finer horses but now having a cob, id never go back to owning a finer horse as cobs are just so much more fun! :D

Soooo, what you are really saying is, you didnt really want a cob at all,
as you seem to have tried your hardest to disguise all its cobyness!! or is that cobishness ? :D Maybe you could also try squeezing its feet into smaller shoes!!! :D :D

respect horses

New User
Visit site
well, no, im not trying to hide that he is a cob, he still looks like a cob, hes just a show cob, not a carthorse cob, theres a difference :) and no, iv always wanted a cob, but it wasnt my choice before it was my mums, so iv had to have what shes always wanted. its only since iv had m cob that iv had the decision making and what not, i got to choose him whereas before my mums done all the choosing. and he also has quite smaal hoofs actually they are no were as big as a cobs should be!!

I dont see why peolple are so biased against cobs, theres nothing wrong with them, yes you can get some real ploddy ones that novices ride, but theres also ones that are sharp, that spook alot and can compete alonside the finer horses, i know mine could give them a run for their money if i wanted to, but to me its all about the fun not the competition.

Fii

Visit site
well, no, im not trying to hide that he is a cob, he still looks like a cob, hes just a show cob, not a carthorse cob, theres a difference :) and no, iv always wanted a cob, but it wasnt my choice before it was my mums, so iv had to have what shes always wanted. its only since iv had m cob that iv had the decision making and what not, i got to choose him whereas before my mums done all the choosing. and he also has quite smaal hoofs actually they are no were as big as a cobs should be!!

I dont see why peolple are so biased against cobs, theres nothing wrong with them, yes you can get some real ploddy ones that novices ride, but theres also ones that are sharp, that spook alot and can compete alonside the finer horses, i know mine could give them a run for their money if i wanted to, but to me its all about the fun not the competition.

:D :D :D :D!!

JillyB

Visit site
Well I have never replied to any of Shils posts, in fact dont post much at all but as all of HHO seem to have done heres my twopenny worth.. ............
I was b ought up with showjumpers and Hunters and we used to have a few dealers coming through to help finance them so from an early age have had all sorts. Daughter now has gone through SJ ponies to horses, and has a nice young riders horse that will hack down to 1.50 easy.But sadly golden SJer that is a total saint to do, cannot for some reason known only to her,hack down a lane.We bought a cob to school and Daughter took him hunting, he was good so went again ,16 times!!!!He has learnt the job well even jumpng a 5bar gate and some pretty impessive hedges. He accompanied his stablemate to a "proper show" and went round BN much to my amazement. I was in the anti cob clan before. He does not mind my refering to him as the cow pony BUT he costs a fortune in clipper blades and fairy to bath him. So whilst I love TBs and WBs I grudginglyadmit cobs have a place outside a Riding School and RDA but only if they are groomed to the max and clipped, yes the hair must go.Short mane tidy tail no beard (God forbid) and no feathers. Thats my view only

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Well I have never replied to any of Shils posts, in fact dont post much at all but as all of HHO seem to have done heres my twopenny worth.. ............

You are pretty 'familiar' for someone who has never spoken to me before. :mad:
Did you think my posts were short of views or replies, that you felt the need to honour me with an answer? :p
S :D

Mrs B

Visit site
I go away for one week - ONE WEEK! - and look what gets resurrected: the thread that won't die :mad:

You do realise that before too long it will be termed a 'classic'; spoken of with fondness even and next thing you know, Shils will be asked to represent us at the Eurovision Song Contest.

And don't say I didn't warn you. :mad:

Donnie Darco

Visit site
Having not read the million other replies, I'm going to say this;

ISH are the best, keep your bad tempered cobs and nutty TB's, IDxTB are the way forward! :D

And MrsB, as I am the ORIGINAL thread killer, this thread will now end :D

TheXRaceHorse

Visit site
Cobs are known for there GOOD natures- they are not grumpy! Its usally the sharper, more uptight horses like thoroughbreds and warmbloods that have the bad temprements.
They are also Hardy! No shoes, not necessarily rugged, less 'special' feeding like warmbloods and other horses- Cobs can live of grass no need for many horse feeds and no need for supplements! And also, they are the breeding lines of 'nicer' horses. Warmbloods have cob in them! I had a cob/appaloosa, nicest natured, slim yet with muscular legs and neck.. He was NOT lazy, very fast also;) He was hairy and had huge feather and mane, but we hogged and fully clipped out.. He was beautiful . Hairy is not a bad thing- With the other horses you spend money on rugs all the time!;)
I like cobs:)