Why do some people have horses.

stormox

Visit site
You missed out a couple of mights :)

Usually caused by air in the joint like a clicky finger and cause no trouble, from what I've read.

yes I know, but poster asked why could they be a problem, so I didnt say reasons that mightnt be a problem. My mistake.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Really!? I'm not sure that is documented.

Is this answering me Ester, or Stormox?

I think probably Stormox, but if it's me, it's all over various veterinary sites and forums on t'internet. My own horse got clicky hocks and my vet said 'might be something, might not, lots of horses click'.

hairycob

Visit site
Must have been the nephew then. We used to swear he must have ponies standing on each others backs so many came off the lorry and they all used to fly round the jumps in a truly terrifying (to watching mothers) way. I remember a tiny young lass (8ish) came into the ring on a fiery, snorting, prancing 14.2. Feet didn't come past the saddle and she beat the rest of the class by several seconds.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Not really fair to call OP a troll especially as they have posted an introduction. As a recent joinee I am sure there are some who might think the same about me!! There are a fair few peculiar posts around in various sections of this forum though.............

Velcrobum

Visit site
So you left your new rescue horse for the night shortly after she arrived, and 10 minutes after you wormed and fed her, so that she could 'settle in'?

To be fair the horse was delivered 2 hours late and the OP may well have had other commitments. It would also appear the YO was around and might have been keeping an eye on the mare. We don't know what the arrangement was IMHO.

jokadoka

Visit site
You do get some nutters though- when I was young -12 or 13- I used to ride at the yard of a Bedford horsedealer name Smith. He was a local character, very knowledgeable, could stitch wounds, do teeth, shod his own horses, a real old nagsman.But he often got drunk, and would fly into rages over nothing. On days like that he would open the yard gates and chase all the horses (and us kids) out onto the road, loose. We were often chucked out, we used to creep back in a few days later, when he'd be all apologetic. We used to be ready for him on a saturday afternoon, and try and get the horses up the far end of the field away from the gate (it opened straight onto the road). Or if they got chased out, catch them and bring them back. Luckily there were no disasters!
Any of you from Bedford will know exactly who I mean!!
And yes, I would notice clicky hips, under any situation, from years of going round the sales with him.

Wouldn't be Tom would it? On the standard question every buyer asks " how old is the horse"?, his reply was normally " how old do you want it to be".......

LadySam

Visit site
And why, if a man is hitting a horse and screaming/shouting and essentially stealing it (it's on trial but you know what I mean), would your YO notice clicky hips?!

FWIW, I'd notice clicking, even under those circumstances. It's second nature.

Why so quick to think OP would be a troll? So she had a run-in with a highly opinionated, bat***** crazy horse guy. It's not like they don't exist. Surely we all know that! :D

sasquatch

Visit site
as OP has mentioned the Garda, it sounds like they are in Ireland.

in which case, I wouldn't be surprised, given the condition some horses are kept in.
sounds like the guy was trying to pass the horse off on you OP, and obviously realised either you wouldn't go for it, or had had another offer elsewhere from someone they could get cash up front.

Was the mare a trotter, or possibly a part bred trotter?

paddi22

Visit site
as OP has mentioned the Garda, it sounds like they are in Ireland.

in which case, I wouldn't be surprised, given the condition some horses are kept in.

eh thanks for labelling us irish folk as more likely to be horse abusers. I honestly don't think theres much of a difference in the percentage of ****** irish and ****** english owners.

sasquatch

Visit site
eh thanks for labelling us irish folk as more likely to be horse abusers. I honestly don't think theres much of a difference in the percentage of ****** irish and ****** english owners.

I am Irish.
Nowhere did I say all Irish were horse abusers. I just know that there are some out there who are absolute nutcases, and generally they are the ones who have certain types of horses and come from certain backgrounds. I don't go on many English 'horse for sale' sites, so don't see many of them advertising their horses and ponies for sale there. Having seen the attitudes and the way some of the posts on facebook end up going, it wouldn't surprise me that there are some weirdos who behave like this.

paddi22

Visit site
i know you didn't say all irish were abusers but the way you phrased it was 'i'm not surprised they are irish' which is insulting and as irish person too i take offence to someone assuming im more likely to be a crappy owner because im born here. having lived in a few countries you realise there is no monopoly on nutcases with horses and to imply otherwise is wrong and just adds to the opinion people have that we are a country where most people just treat horses like crap to get cash. I'm surprised as an irish person that you think this. there are ****** nutcase owners in every country!

stormox

Visit site
I am Irish.
some out there who are absolute nutcases, and generally they are the ones who have certain types of horses and come from certain backgrounds. I don't go on many English 'horse for sale' sites, so don't see many of them advertising their horses and ponies for sale there. .

Try Dragon Driving sasquatch!!! I dont thing the type of people you mention are unique to UK or Ireland!! But if it was one of "those" the chap cant be that bad- they dump them, abandon them, runn them into the ground-PTS is the kind option.
I would guess it was a trotter....