Why does my horse wee everytime I muck out!?

ejmassive

New User
Visit site
Very strange question....

Everytime I'm mucking out my horse's stable, he takes a wee. I'm beginning to think its a sign of something! He is in good health and on a shavings bed.

I thought I would throw it out to the panel to see if anybody has some inspiration for me!

Thanks

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Do you whistle or sing while you are mucking out as in times gone by you could make a horse wee by doing that or that he's reclaiming his territory when you've put a clean bed in.

Horseyscot

Visit site
To annoy you!
tongue.gif

Mine isn't that keen on peeing in the stable and usually pees as soon as I turn him out in the morning. With this spell of minus temps, and lots of ice he has been in for over a week with no turnout. He now pees when I have just finished cleaning him out
mad.gif
Its as if he realises he isn't going out and therefore can't hold on any longer and has to go in the stable.

grin.gif

DuckToller

Visit site
One of mine waits until I put a load of clean shavings in, then he pees into the clean woodchips with a blissful look on his face! Think he just likes peeing into a deep pile of woodchips so he doesn't splash his legs. He even waits to go in his bed despite being in the field all day.
grin.gif

Osiris

Visit site
Was he gelded late?

I seem to remember from college that Stallions often did this to reclaim their territory so to speak, and it is a fact that is often used by studs prior to collecting/covering, to make sure that no urine contaminates (sp) the ejaculate. Maybe this is just a boy thing in general?

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong
smile.gif

charliesarmy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Very strange question....

Everytime I'm mucking out my horse's stable, he takes a wee. I'm beginning to think its a sign of something! He is in good health and on a shavings bed.

I thought I would throw it out to the panel to see if anybody has some inspiration for me!

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I think its a sign...a sign of appreciation...and since your there he can keep a eye on you so he can make sure you clear the offensive P quickly and efficiently LOL cheecky ponio
laugh.gif

1036Jones

Visit site
My mare does it too - so now I catch it in a bucket and I never have a wet stable!!! Infact I just say 'wee wee' to her and she will do it to order!!!

Rudey

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My mare does it too - so now I catch it in a bucket and I never have a wet stable!!! Infact I just say 'wee wee' to her and she will do it to order!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sammi my bay does it straight away on a clean bed! I was telling my yard mates the other day about a post I read on here about teaching horses to peeee in buckets - initially they thought I was making it up lmaoooooo!!! I told them that when I get on my feet, I aim to teach mine to do it - they looked at me as if I was crazy ALOL!! xx
grin.gif

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LUCKY! Mine was diagnosed with cystitis a couple of weeks ago and the vet wanted a urine sample - I hung around for 2 hours waiting and only managed to get a pathetic amount. Think he got wee shy!

MochaDun

Visit site
Mine watches me arrive at the yard gate of a morning, I see his head over the door and by the time I've parked up and walked to his stable he's having a wee at the back....does that nearly every day. I hate to think he's been hanging on til I've arrived to go!
grin.gif

Stateside

Visit site
my two go every time I give them a haynet. I leave them out to roam around the yard this time of year in the day time and in at night and give them a haynet morning and afternoon they both go on the concrete while I am hanging up the haynets ?

Brummyrat

Visit site
mine goes if i ridden him in the evening then mucked out, he'll wee into a bucket as soon as i put him in and he is another that will go when he hears my car arrive first thing at the weekend, i think with him its more to do with routine than a territory thing, although as far as th OP's ned goes, i think thats an appreciation of lovely clean bed
smile.gif