Why is it so difficult to find ...

Bruce17

Visit site
An English leather headcollar with proper brass fittings. In full size, brown. Arrrrgh!

Why is every shop full of tacky nylon junk these days?!?

Please recommend me some nice traditional tack shops, if there are any left? Or even just the aforementioned headcollar, if not?

Thanks ?

Skib

sites.google.com
I bought Shires a year ago, dismantled it and oiled it as per instructions. But Covid has kept me from the yard so I havent seen how it is doing. Taking it to the yard was the last time we left home.

oldie48

Visit site
My lovely but rather ancient leather headcollar broke recently whilst I was bathing Rose leaving me on my own and stuck with a loose wringing wet horse. I've replaced it with a Le Mieux soft padded head collar in a deep raspberry and black and am rather won over!

Pippity

Visit site
I have a Shires one for travelling, because I wanted one that buckled over the top of the nose to make it easier to tack up while out and about. Quality is average, but a good dose of Oz's leather conditioner definitely improved it.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I bought Shires a year ago, dismantled it and oiled it as per instructions. But Covid has kept me from the yard so I havent seen how it is doing. Taking it to the yard was the last time we left home.
My Shires one was worn all summer 2 years ago, lost in the field at the tail end of the summer, and found again in a mud puddle about 2 months ago. Mud was hosed off and it looks absolutely fine :D. The quality is great for the price.

sarahmac77

Visit site
An English leather headcollar with proper brass fittings. In full size, brown. Arrrrgh!

Why is every shop full of tacky nylon junk these days?!?

Please recommend me some nice traditional tack shops, if there are any left? Or even just the aforementioned headcollar, if not?

Thanks ?
Bought a lovely one second hand (everything decent I buy is second hand it seems!)... Facebook Marketplace and EBay are your friends. Or there are some good hunting vintage places with quality gear...

Birker2020

Visit site
I always use leather, absolutely loathe and detest nylon as I think they are very dangerous. I always get a good deal on leather headcollars on ebay. When turned out our headcollars are left out all day/overnight so is exposed to wind, rain, snow, ice and everything in between but it still looks good and works fine. I get through probably one every 8 months.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heritage...690137?hash=item263472b5d9:g:5qYAAOSw-~teTS7a

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEATHER-HEAD-COLLAR-FULLY-RAISED-PADDED-BROWN-COLOR-FULL-COB-AN-PONY-SIZE/223346551825?|cksum:2233465518253c7a544cad8744d6b7ce325aeb0d01a3|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:2334524

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEATHER-PADDED-HEAD-COLLAR-BLACK-WHITE-IN-BRASS-FITTING-BLACK-BROWN-COLOR/114671251242?

1614162404670.png1614162436860.png

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
This Calcutt one is lovely. Adjustable throat lash, buckle on the nose and no clip fastenings anywhere. It's going on my Xmas list. :)

e_275-1.jpg

AFB

Visit site
I have a shires one, about 6/7 years old and cleans up almost as new (minus the scratch on the noseband from scratching on a brick wall!). It's not looked after and used every day.

I did have another Shires before that which got caught on the skirt of a hired horsebox and broke - did exactly what I wanted it to do and horse was unscathed. Always use leather.

silv

Visit site
I have a Le Mieux one, it’s beautiful soft leather and was very reasonably priced. Only gets worn at shows too good for every day use.