Why is it

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think when you don't have to get a wiggle on it's easy for time to just slip by ;)
I can do my 2 in about 15 mins when I need to, but today I lost an hour between finishing riding and leaving the yard, and all I had to do really was feeds and water buckets. I did do lots of pony cuddling though! :D

chaps89

Visit site
Cos you have the time??
I fed 2, turned out 4 (1 with rug change), skipped out 2, mucked out 1, re filled water and haynets, made up 6 feeds and levelled muck heap this morning, just under 30 mins! ?

Show off :p

But yes, I think it's because I have time - and comes back to actually enjoying it so I tend to make time, and why I prefer DIY so I can faff to my hearts content ?

I suppose at least I know I can go faster if I need to, ultimately if it's ride or spend time mucking out I know which one wins!

Equi

Visit site
I realise miniatures are not going to make as much of a mess or need as big nets etc but i can do my 5 minis including turnout, muck out and have feeds + nets done in 20mins. Im regularly at the yard for big horse for a good hour. This all includes no exercise/grooming/rug changes

Green Bean

Visit site
My mare is different each weekend, sometimes it’s a half hour, one and a half wheelbarrow bed, other times it is an hour with 3 wheelbarrow loads. I only have to do it on the weekends so enjoy the extra exercise

Auslander

Visit site
Until a few weeks ago, I could do 3 in 20 minutes. Then I bought myself a mesh frame that goes on the wheelbarrow, and now my bed OCD has spiralled out of control!
I have now rationed my frame use to once, per bed, per week!

Marnie

Visit site
I lost my big mare at the end of the summer to laminitis and found a little Welsh pony as a companion for my other mare. Much as I would give my right arm to have my big mare back, mucking out is now considerably easier and quicker! Like everyone, I can muck out, feed, hay and water in under 30 minutes if I have to - but generally it is a lot longer than that as I start faffing!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I can do both of mine in 15mins as well if I have to, I still spent 7 hours there on Saturday. I'm not even sure what I did to be honest. Pottered round, did some tidying before the storm hit, but nothing of note and nothing that should have taken 7 hours.

The yard is a place that will suck up all available time. If you have 15mins, it takes 15mins. If you have 8 hours, it takes 8 hours!

Trouper

Visit site
Cos you have the time??
I fed 2, turned out 4 (1 with rug change), skipped out 2, mucked out 1, re filled water and haynets, made up 6 feeds and levelled muck heap this morning, just under 30 mins! ?
FF - will you please tell me what rocket fuel you are on to get that done?!! Or perhaps I am just viewing tasks with ageing eyes these days. Whatever - I don't think love is time limited and however much we curse the winter - particularly this one - it is always a labour of love for the muddy little horrors.
Keep safe this weekend everyone.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
FF - will you please tell me what rocket fuel you are on to get that done?!! Or perhaps I am just viewing tasks with ageing eyes these days. Whatever - I don't think love is time limited and however much we curse the winter - particularly this one - it is always a labour of love for the muddy little horrors.
Keep safe this weekend everyone.
Lol, am cracking on for 60. I just keep head down and motor on. As its own yard, I've mostly got it set up to go the least furthest distance to muck heap, gateways (3 paddocks off the yard in different directions) haystore in centre one side, feed shed 10 paces from stables.... - quite ergonomic. (Also, I used to have 8 or 9 in, to me to do my own 3 daily is still a delight even now!
My usual carrot is: chores done so can ride & spend time in saddle. Otherwise its getting done before heading home to get ready for work.
I do not sweep yard on (my) busy days, nor square muck heap - both done later or next day. However, as i have a temp livery, am thinking that I must do this more often as she will put me to shame!

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I'm full livery (used to be DIY, maybe that's the issue?!) And still manage to spend at least 2hours at the yard every evening despite only riding for 40mins?! How?? He's in his stable when I arrive and even allowing for mud removal I shouldn't take that long... It's a mystery. Weekends are even more ridiculous for lost time.

Tarragon

Visit site
I’ve got slower as I’ve got older but jobs expand to fill the available time don’t they?
This exactly.
I recently decided to cut down my hours at work so now work 5 days a week, but 10am to 4pm. I decided against making it a 4 day week, as I knew I would make better use of my two extra hours everyday than I would a whole spare day.