Why isnt the Norwegian Fjord mohawk more popular on other breeds?

Shinx

Visit site
I love a Norwegian mane! It looks smart and kind of war-horse like, and accentuates their magnificent necks.

I think my PRE would look fantastic with a mohawk as well. At an endurance ride I noticed a lot of the Arabs sported tiny little mohawks to keep their manes off their necks in the heat and they all looked amazing.

Wild equids (not feral horses) have natural mohawks.

But whenever I see a thread about hogging/not hogging, people always warn about the horrible mohawk stage. Am I the only one who thinks they look fantastic? If you train the mane to properly stick up you can shape it, making even a weedy neck look nicer than it is (a lot of Norwegians don't actually have arched necks, it's just the cut that provides the illusion).

Just interested to hear some opinions before I get out the scissors! ✂️ 😉

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I quite like the mohawk look!! But for me it's more about the horses head. I know a, don't like to say it, but ugly cob. He looks much better with a mane. His owner hogged him and it now brings all the attention to his head. So for me, yes it can look nice, on the right horse!!

Shinx

Visit site
My PRE is a gelding so I can't use that excuse! He has a luscious mane but it's currently half rubbed out from his winter rug so I might give the fjord clip a go. I think he'll look smashing!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Norwegian Fjords have thick bristly manes and a two tone colour which really lends itself to that cut.

My tb's mane is currently a similar length to the horse in the picture above however being fine it actually lies flat at that length. If you went really short, he'd look like a failed polo pony. This was the other day it's the wrong side but you can see the bits that have fallen over, how short they are and how they absolutely don't stand up. You'd need a lot of hairspray to achieve a a mohawk.

A PRE mane will be thicker than my tb but maybe not as thick as a Fjord so you won't necessarily get the same effect but if he's rubbed it out, sometimes it's better to hog and start again and you'll see what happens.

Attachments

• 1000007742.jpg
    1000007742.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 21

SpotsandBays

Visit site
My warmblood/appaloosa currently spots a Mohawk 🤣 (I hog him in the summer as his mane gets so thin but it growth thicker over winter and sticks up!)

Shinx

Visit site
I love a mohawk mane. Those beautiful statues and carvings of ancient greek horses from the Parthenon and other ancient sites look amazing.
You're absolutely right, I was just at the British Museum and have gone back through my photos and they all have perfect mohawks!

My boy's mane is THICK so I think if anyone has a good shot at a mohawk, he does.

Esyllt

Visit site
My warmblood/appaloosa currently spots a Mohawk 🤣 (I hog him in the summer as his mane gets so thin but it growth thicker over winter and sticks up!)
I was tempted to hog my Appy x, as her mane looks thinner the longer it gets, and she has the attitude to rock a mohawk! The rescue lad (WBxTBxSec D) came hogged, and now that it's grown back I'm tempted to hog him again as his mane doesn't look as nice as I thought it would longer! He rocked the Mohawk stage too

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Back in the eighties I used to compete (dressage) a horse that hated having his mane pulled, so I had him in a Mohawk. It really complemented his slightly weak neck and obviously meant there was no need to plait; I loved it and it was a look that caught on for a while with lots of copycats. It really suits some horses.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I didn’t think he would be the type to suit it as his quite fine but it looked awful left alone and there wasn’t enough to plait (I’m also not skilled enough to faff with false plaits!). I actually think it suits him well 🤣
IMG_1554.jpeg

I haven’t got a Mohawk photo, I’ll try remember to get one later!

Kunoichi73

Visit site
I didn’t think he would be the type to suit it as his quite fine but it looked awful left alone and there wasn’t enough to plait (I’m also not skilled enough to faff with false plaits!). I actually think it suits him well 🤣
View attachment 133384

He's perfect. Exactly what I always think and appaloosa should look like! 😍

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
He's such a lovely colour, he can get away with anything!

I'll let him know ;) I love his current colour too, I wonder what colour he'll be after the coat change that's coming!

View attachment 133384

I am not usually an Appy person, but he is really lovely 😍 I think the slight mohawk really suits him!

Beausmate

Visit site
I hogged my thoroughbred. He loathed having his mane combed through and as it was so thick, plaiting it was hopeless. He did enjoy being clipped, so off it came! I left the forelock and let the rest grow upwards and forwards. It was also really soft, so i think it was the sheer volume that held the shape. It really suited his slightly thuggish attitude too 😂

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Frank had one when I bought him, it (and the cellulite) didn't stay 🤣

1934885_223362910437_2731227_n.jpg

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It had got the punky because the person that we bought him from only had him 3 months and hadn't done anything with it in that time. He had it long after that for a while, I sort of forgot about it, then the forum told me to pull it 🤣 so it did spend most of it's life pulled and plaitable, bit longer for showing, shorter or hunting season 🤣.
1913856_369473800437_4064655_n.jpg

It was quite wirey and poofy generally, (thought you might like this one too ;) )
268476_10150235217985882_1044066_n.jpg