Why Keep So Many? And Especially without Riding??

Elsbells

Visit site
As winter heads our way and the promise of another wet and miserable season looms ever closer, I thank the heavens that I only have the one horse to look after and ride. I often wonder as I pass private yards on our hacks why some owners have so many, some up to 10 or 12! They are often unridden too, which is not surprising I soppose given the time factor.

I understand how they can just be acquired and how hard it is to say goodbye to a much loved oldie, but it must be an expensive collection to have both in time and money and if you work full time to pay for the addiction when do you enjoy them and not become an exhausted wreck....or life?

I'm not knocking anyone who does as its their choice, their time, their money, I just wonder? I'd be to scared of letting my horse down to have any others than her, but then she's my world and there really isn't any more room in my heart for another.

Visit site
I have 17 to look after on a daily basis. I dont ride them in winter as I have no where to ride and my general excuse is that they are show ponies and there are no shows in winter. Not all are ridden, some are broodmares, youngsters et al and in the summer I have 5 -6 in work and just rotate them daily. I like having them around and they are mostly shetlands so do no harm.

BeingKate

Visit site
I've got a wonderful "collection" of boys. I've got all the time in the world for them, 3 are in work and work properly on a daily basis, 2 get ridden before work and 1 after work. One other is retired (at 7 yrs old lucky s0d) and one is a foal. Both foaly and retired one go for walks which they love as it gives them some interest.

I do it because I love them all so much, they all get so much attention and love, despite working full time to afford them, I give them as much time as they need and more besides.

How ever, I do have help from my wonderful, supportive other half (who owns the retired one) he is a full time trucker but when he's not driving he will be up there helping me, and he has no problem with me coming in late and stinky! the retired one and foaly live out full time, and I have no social life whatsoever!

** Edited to say, I have the luxury of our own (leased) yard - I can come crazy hours of the morning and evening, they can be out as long as I like, and I don't have other distractions around me (where the hell have my brushes gone, why is this person talking to me etc)

3OldPonies

Visit site
I think you summed it up quite well - it's their time, their money and their horses - up to them.

I'm not knocking you OP, but to quite a lot of people riding isn't the be all and end all of having horses. I have two field ornaments, and count myself lucky that a friend lets me ride one of her two whenever I have the urge to be back in the saddle. For years though until I got to know this person and count them as a friend, I didn't ride and it didn't really bother me. Keeping my boys happy and looked after was all that was in my mind. If I could afford a rideable horse then I would, probably, get one, but as things are I am quite happy pottering about the field doing all the things that need doing.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Me too. I have 12 (or is it 13? :)). Brood mares, stallion, and various youngsters. I'm too old to ride but not too old to train from the ground, which is what interests me. I get some reflected glory from my young helpers who enjoy showing but as I am usually the driver and invariably on box watch I see nothing of what goes on in the ring! But I do get enormous pleasure from seeing my ponies going on (and succeeding) in the capable hands of others who do ride them. It is one of our eternal democratic freedoms to make fools of ourselves in any legal way we choose! Mine is wasting money on Highland ponies! Long may it continue.

Tally-lah

Visit site
I have five, three in work, one has now been turned away for winter now as she's only a youngster and one mini shetland. In summer life is much easier, winter is a slog, it takes me an hour just to feed (bring in, check rugs, pick out feet etc and then turn back out), morning and then again in the evening. Mine all live out and I'm on my own private yard so don't have to worry about anyone else but it's still a lot of time. Then I have to clear muck (two barrows per day and then as much as possible at weekends). I never have enough time, am always behind and pretty tired too. I sometimes wish I just had my two big girls as life would be so much easier and I would probably then move to a yard with better facilities and be able to get out and actually do more with them, but with so many that is just not an option.

I do make exercising my priority and am up at 5am most mornings so I can ride all three before my working day begins!

windand rain

Visit site
I have three don't ride and love them to bits, used to work 100 hours a week, had three kids in nappies, did an open university degree and still had ponies I have tried living without them but it is not possible We are retired now and the ponies keep us happy, healthy and broke but don't drink, smoke or go on holiday so as you so succinctly put it it is my time and my money.
The hard work involved is one of the best preventative for osteoporosis as shoving barrows through mud and heaving bales of hay is all classed as weight baring exercise I hope to get at least another 10 if not 20 years fit enough to do it I will be 80 then and maybe it might be too much we will see. I am out in the fresh air, wind, rain, sun every day of my life and I am rarely ill although I must admit I would rather do it now I am retired than when I was trying to be all things to all men. When I was busiest n my life the ponies were a relaxation now I am not so busy they are a health insurance

Princess Rosie

Visit site
I have three, a very green mare who's not currently in work as we are waiting for the new surface to arrive for the school, I also have a miniature horse x and a mini shetland, I also have three others who are with me on full livery and who's mums can't always get down frequently, so I have 6 to play with each day! Exhausting but worth it!

Yuki1290

Visit site
I have 5 and love them all dearly. I would never think of selling any of mine. I never wanted that many and, for years, only had my TB mare and her mini companion. All of my horses have "issues" and have been unwanted/abused in the past. The future looked very bleak for all of them, to say the least, before I got them. Yes, it is hard work, especially in winter, and I often don't get to ride as much as I would like. However, seeing them happy makes up for all the hardships and gives me the strength to carry on.

Patchworkpony

Visit site
I have three don't ride and love them to bits, used to work 100 hours a week, had three kids in nappies, did an open university degree and still had ponies I have tried living without them but it is not possible We are retired now and the ponies keep us happy, healthy and broke but don't drink, smoke or go on holiday so as you so succinctly put it it is my time and my money.
The hard work involved is one of the best preventative for osteoporosis as shoving barrows through mud and heaving bales of hay is all classed as weight baring exercise I hope to get at least another 10 if not 20 years fit enough to do it I will be 80 then and maybe it might be too much we will see. I am out in the fresh air, wind, rain, sun every day of my life and I am rarely ill although I must admit I would rather do it now I am retired than when I was trying to be all things to all men. When I was busiest n my life the ponies were a relaxation now I am not so busy they are a health insurance
What a lovely post and so inspiring.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Patchworkpony - I was just thinking the same thing about windand rain's post.

Although, not too sure about the health insurance - any injuries I get are usually the result of something happening at the stables!!!!!!

AngieandBen

Visit site
I have three two retired and I do ride one, about 10 miles 3 times a week. I have osteoarthritis and it really helps with my joints :) I childmind for a few hours a week too, but most of the time I spend outside with my ponies and two dogs

#skintbuthappy :D

Last edited:

pennyturner

Visit site
My 11 spend most of their time horsing around in a field. Then at the weekend, my 6 kids, me plus 6 assorted sharers (ranging from lead rein tots to older than me) play with them. The ponies have a lovely varied working life, with full throttle group gallops, lead rein, quiet first ridden rides and driving too. They're always happy to be caught. It' my way of spending time with my kids, whilst doing something I enjoy, and of course it's great for the children to be growing up around horses.
Because they're out 24/7, and we don't show / compete, there's not much work, and there's nothing like having the whole herd out racing across the stubble together.

Arizahn

Visit site
I have two; an unbacked youngster and a semi-retired oldie. I can afford them, and have the time to manage them, and I wanted my youngster to have an older, sensible mentor when turned out. Since acquiring said oldie, I have ended up turning out in a herd with half a dozen others anyhow, but next year my two will be out in their own paddock :)

Someday the planets will align correctly and I will actually have good enough health to ride as well...

Elsbells

Visit site
What lovely, lovely posts and posters. Il now think differently when I ride past those little fields and wooden stables. I'm glad it's not catching though..........Is it?!!!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
You know the old saying,' if you want something done, ask a busy person.' When I was working full time and the kids were at home, I had 3 horses and was so organised that I was able to work twice as fast as I do now.
Some people have one horse and can't find enough time to ride, while others have several and do far more with each of them. At the end of the day, as long as the horses have a responsible owner, it doesn't matter whether they ride or not. Animal collectors are a different thing, people should be realistic and only have as many horses as they can give a good life to.

happyclappy

Visit site
I have si at home plus my husbans cob, plus two still out on loan. My baby can no longer be ridden, hubbies ob is extremely old, another youngster has not been traine to drive, too small to ride, the other four have all been driven regularly, but are no longer. So I have seven to care for without riding or riving. It is hard in winter, very wet, but I love them anyhow.

NZJenny

Visit site
I have four. Two are retired and they deserve every minute of it. Both have been very competitive endurance horses and my end of the bargain is to make sure that their every need is met - they gave it all for me.

My other two - one is only three and currently away being started (can't wait!) and the othere is ridden regularly. I no longer endurance ride, but have lots of other stuff on my bucket list, so they will be busy for 20 years yet.

I work full time, but they all live out and they are about 30 minutes from home. It's just "normal" life for me - after work is horse time and weekends just mean more of it.

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
I have 3 but I started out feeling like the OP wondering why people collected them! I started with my one riding horse who I kept on part livery and rode most mights after work. Then I got married and bought a horse for my husband so we could ride out together. Then husband lost job so moved to DIY to save ££ started doing horses before work and riding after work. Then my one riding pony was injured I spend a year and ££££ on trying to fix her but bottom line was she would never be able to work at the level I wanted. Missing riding and fantasy horse shopping I 'accidentally' found another riding horse and ended up with 3. I do have a sharer to help with my injured riding horse but she only rides I do all the looking after - which is fine by me :) so that's how my one horse family turned into a three horse household :)

Spring Feather

Visit site
I don't know exactly how many horses I own right at this moment in time but last count was 27. I have sold some foals since then though so it's probably closer to 22 or 23. Some are old retired horses, some are riding horses, some are broodmares and some are youngsters. I think no more of the riding horses than I do of the non-ridden horses; I enjoy spending time with them all (and the other 30 horses who livery on my farm).

Riding really isn't my main relationship with our horses though. It's the spending time with them and having them around that gives me more pleasure than whether I ride them or not.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I have 5 and work full time. I arrive at the yard at 5am week days and after work until around 8pm. I do keep them out as much as poss which really helps so only come in for a few hours a day to have things done. My old retired pony gives me so much pleasure I love him to pieces and would never part with him, in fact one day I know I will have my heart seriously broken when I have to say good by but as he's 23 I'm praying he will live until about 40 ;)

Goldenstar

Visit site
We have four and are looking for another I work them all .
I keep one that someone else hunts ( so he has a job ) it would make sense to sell him but he's a strange creature and I would worry about him. I ride him at home but hunting him hurts my back so we deploy a much younger male friend, I enjoy seeing Tatts having fun and doing a job .
I do it because I like it .

EffyCorsten

Visit site
I only have two unbacked youngsters and absolutely admire those who are able to so beautifully manage several horses as well as work and possibly look after a family. I've never had more than three myself and that's enough for me!

Wonder women/men !

Dry Rot

Visit site

Good heavens! I had you down as a 20+ something! Only 5 ¼ years to go for me to make 80! Thankfully, most of mine live out but I still farm 30 acres, make 9 acres of hay, do my own fencing. mechanical repairs, etc. though the house is becoming a bit of a tip! :D

flirtygerty

Visit site
I have four, 2 x20yr olds still in work, an 11yr old ride n drive and a 4yr old cob that shows at local level, I took our original mare as a bad debt, needed something else so OH and I could ride together, welcome the 11 yr old, original mare was a pure bitch, so loaned her to my daughter 300 miles away, took on our TB as a replacement, passport said 12yr old, was spooky, nappy and reared a lot (teeth) sold him to a busier home (with regret) bought an 18 yr old ex racer as a hack, lost him to colic six months later, bought our 20yr old WB mare as a companion to the 11 yr old, was gifted the TB back to me, then got sick of not having anything to ride when kids visited, so bought the cob for the kids and to show, all of mine except the cob, who needs his work kept up, are happy in the field, I can bring my lot up after six months of not being ridden and they behave, pleased to hack out, I get as much from taking care of my lot as I do riding them, having a new business to take care of, it suits me

rara007

Visit site
We have 12 at home, my sister has one with her, and we have 4 out on loan :) Only 4 are ever ridden but they're all driven apart from our retired Shetland and the one with my sister. Got the Shetland when I was 4 and have had him 20 years teaching us all to ride and drive so we're not about to cut down by culling when he's more than happy doing his own thing! We have the space, dad has done well enough for himself to hire a full time groom (am I allowed to say that?!) (I have 2 ponies, we have 3 'family' ones and my mum has one- they're mainly all my dads!) Four in hand driving isn't his cheapest hobby but the ponies and him are happy- can't take the money with you! We might look like a little yard crammed with 12hh ponies but they give us all a lot of enjoyment and they're all in more than enough work for their age/stage even at this time of year :) We make our own hay and only one is currently on hard feed so though some costs are massive, I expect they cost less to maintain than a couple of 'real' horses would! We're very privileged :)