Why?!

Shavings

Visit site
so Chance has been fulled clipped again

(this time with my consent and i was present!) by a friend, we left legs and half head of every thing else has gone

he is stabled over night , out in the day

he is wearing a 100g fill ruggles

other liveries are commenting "oh poor boy must be cold" "how would you like it"
or "you have ruined any chance of a summer coat"

i dont care chance is a hot boy, who, like my self could stand to loose a few pounds!

but bothers me is why poeple feel the need to comment on things that so not concern them!!

why is it ?!

i wish i could have chance at home but out 20ft by 12 ft plastic grass garden is not suitable really

god i hate livery yards and there masses of "do gooders"

i would like out just point out now one woman owns a warmblood/sport horse type and has him in 3 rugs stood in today! just dont see any need me self

Sprat

Visit site
I have one of these on my yard - I'm sure she thinks she is well meaning but it just comes across as pushy and irritating.

My usual response is 'it won't kill her, she'll survive' - this said enough times repeatedly seems to have done the trick and she tends to keep her opinion to herself. Well, she doesn't voice it to me, though I'm sure she tells anyone who will listen that I'm a bad owner. Heaven forbid my mare not wear a neck rug, in her stable, at night!

I'd just ignore, you know what is best for your horse. Stick to your guns and don't cave!

dorsetladette

Visit site
Ignore them - most of these negative people just say these thins to get a rise out of you. Once they get a rise they've found your week sot and them chip away at it for their own amusement.

hattie2525

Visit site
Educate them in a laid back jovial manner ! 'Well actually it's very mild at the moment and he is a hot horse, even so horses do not feel the cold like humans to and over rugging is more of a welfare concern and can cause issues such as skin conditions and even colic. Horses also thermoregulate better at lower temperatures than warmer ones.'

Muddywellies

Visit site
Rise above it. We all know its better to under rug than over rug (not that yours is under rugged). Mine has as Irish clip and mostly wears a very light waffle rug/sheet or a 50g stable rug and she's toasty warm. It's not even cold yet so whats is your three rug livery friend going to do when it actually gets cold???

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Ear buds in and ignore! Or why not just ask them what it’s to do with them?? Usually that flummoxes people, or if they hit out with the usual ‘looking out for the horse’ statement tell them your horse your rules smile and put the earbud back in.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Oh my word! I must be the worst owner on the worst yard as my cob is clipped out except for legs and half head and he is in a weird combo of one 50g and one no-fill rug on 24/7 turnout. He is still getting too hot when being worked so we are considering taking everything off early next week and thinning his mane right down. My sons bought him (me!) a lovely 100g rug for Christmas but so far he is far too hot in it. The 200g rug looks like an unnecessary extravagance and I'm not sure we will ever need it ........

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I dont thank you!

they come up to my stable door wile i am mucking out.

its a little rude to presume i wish to have this type of conversation

I am sorry if you are offended but your OP didn't make it clear that you haven't told them about your choices. How do they know what weight rug you are using? I certa\zinly can't tell just by looking at a rug on a horse! I thought that you must have told them. In that case just tell them that it has nothing to do with them, or completely ignore them.

elliejhb

Visit site
I must be extremely evil then, both of mine are fully clipped- old boy is in a waffle with no fill over the top, ISH mare is in a fleece with a no fill over the top. Both seem comfortable and warm everytime I check.
All others on the yard (including a clipped out shetland) are in medium weights, some with under rugs too.

eggs

Visit site
Why? - because some people think they know far more than they actually do.

you know your horse better than they do. FWIW I have two fully clipped warm bloods working at advanced dressage. One is in a 200g rug and the other in a 70g rug - both are comfortable in what they are wearing.

Sasana Skye

Visit site
Last year I was on a livery yard (DIY but offered livery services) where the YO demanded that my unclipped, healthy and slightly overweight 4 year old wear a rug in 5 degree weather because the YO was cold so thought my horse would be too. The same YO demanded that the same horse at least wear a no fill turnout rug in the field so I didn't have to groom her so much. The horse stayed naked 24/7 and didn't die of pneumonia, would you believe it!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Rug for the weather (and temperature). Whilst I absolutely agree that it’s annoying when people make uninvited comments, people usually do it meaning well. Going against the grain somewhat I too would think that a fully clipped horse would possibly not be warm enough in 100g rug. But you know your horse and are happy that he’s warm enough.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Rug for the weather (and temperature). Whilst I absolutely agree that it’s annoying when people make uninvited comments, people usually do it meaning well. Going against the grain somewhat I too would think that a fully clipped horse would possibly not be warm enough in 100g rug. But you know your horse and are happy that he’s warm enough.

B Fuzzy is blanket clipped (just re done on Sunday) and is out tonight in a 50g rug as it's due to be 12 degrees at its lowest, she was in a rainsheet during today. If she was fat, then she wouldn't be in any rug :) Even fully clipped I think she'd not want much more on.

Agreed, rug for the horse you have OP, not the liveries on the yard :)