Will she ever stop growing?!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
6 years, 8 years, 9 years. Supposedly, accordingto her very vague passport! ? Her withers have shot up again this year! Thought she was done. Wish she was as trim and fit as she was last summer. ? need to get a stick on her again. 16hh to pushing 16.2hh between the first 2 pictures. Could be 16.3hh now! Proper Beast.

I wonder how much is in the angles of photos and legs and lighting to be honest... just the top picture came up in Facebook memories so I dug out the other two to compare. Definitely needs to do some sit ups this year anyway.
20200915_212649.jpg

Caol Ila

Visit site
She's a lovely big mare. What is she? She looks more dipped in the back in the 2020 photo but I can't say if it's lighting or the angle and your lens distorting the horse. I have plenty of terrible photos of my horse that make her conformation look weird, and it's not.

Floofball

Visit site
Will be interesting to see if she has gone up in height and agree she could do with sit-ups, obviously a lady comfortable in her own skin ? looks like if she could tighten up her core it would lift her back. My old ID had middle age ‘beer belly’ but I could never get him to use his abs properly because of hind end issues sadly - unless the hunt was about, then he tucked up like a horse that had just won the Grand National ? she’s lovely ?

Floofball

Visit site
Aw PF don’t be upset, I am genuinely interested if she has grown - my current lad went from 15.3 at 6 to +16.1 at 8. He’s 12 now and he looks even bigger so need to get a stick on him to satisfy my curiosity ? I was only joining in the ‘banter’ about sit ups, having had a very similar boyo myself ? if you really want to delete can’t you just edit and erase?

ETA - Also I think of you as a VERY good owner!!!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Sorry I'm just tired and sad and I worry myself sick about this horse constantly for no real reason. She does need core work. I know she does and I keep not doing enough of it and I'm making myself cross. The edit function disappears after a while. And I shouldn't share stuff because I'm never thick skinned enough for any responses.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I didn't mean to offend. I said she was a lovely big mare. It's just what struck me about the photos, but it could simply be where you're standing and how the horse is standing and maybe the photo cutting off the legs messes with your eye. Lenses can do weird things. She also has a high wither (higher in the last photo), which will get distorted slightly by your lens. Especially if you're using a phone, which is a flatter lens than a real camera. I did give that as a caveat. Or... on the other hand... it's something to keep an eye on, which I'm sure you are. You're looking at the horse and the rest of us have the image the camera gives us.

Here's a crap photo took a couple days ago. Don't know what's going on with her hind end, but I swear it looks better than that in real life. I was going to post this on Facebook because her fans like seeing her but decided not to because it's shite. So as penance, here it is, even more publically.

119525908_955005251686609_2056825277003632990_n.jpg

rextherobber

Visit site
She's beautiful! I also have an ID x, owned since a 4 yo, and has done most growing between 7-10 . I hope that's it now (I dislike being too high off the ground!) and would like to buy a lovely leather saddle instead of the synthetic adjustable one I have, but she had gone up a gullet size again last week, so maybe not... Mine also has the same shape back as yours.I think Janet George (apologies if wrong) said ID's mature late, it's normal for them to still be growing at 8-9

hobo

Visit site
Bless do not worry to much about back being more dipped I have the same trouble taking photo's of Maggie. I take some of her in the stable I thinking looking really well and when I look at the picture she has a dipped back, I think with these bigger types it is not so much the back that is dipped but the backside is rather rotund so gives a more slopey look and the camera makes it look worse.
On the other hand my NH photo's do not show just how under developed he. This is why when the pro's take pictures it takes so long we have the most stunning pictures of some of our cows but they took 5 people, rattlely buckets, waving calves around to get that perfect pose.

Last edited:

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Thanks for the kind comments.
Sorry about the tantrum. Especially to Coal Ila...it's fine, it wasn't what you said, it's how I read it. I think I'm over sensitive about dipped backs too. Also she isn't fit and fab at the moment and I feel really bad about it... she's a big girl who takes ages to fitten and letting her get let down over winter and into Covid was a really bad idea. We've also had this issue with the mineral balance since moving them home, we've got that sorted now but both horses are still not looking quite as good as I would like. I think it's just going to take a bit more time as they were pretty copper deficient for a while there. And then the issue with the feet and the farrier.

And it's all been a bit much and I've felt like I'm crap at this constantly!

I'm not thick skinned enough for forum life really but don't have any real friends so ?‍♀️? who else can I share my stupid late night thoughts about withers growing with?

I did laugh at you waving calves around to get good pictures of cows, hobo!

I think your big mare is gorgeous, CI, even in your photo above. A real credit to you that she's still going strong too.

Equi

Visit site
She’s a lovely big mare and her back looks much better in the video so it was just a bad photo lol also that’s some impressive yoga! I’m definitely going to try that!

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
What a beauty and right up my street. That pic is naff, the video shows a different horse. Me likey a lot :) Shame they grey out isnt it (I think it is anyway) Big thumbs up from me OP, she is cracking :D