William Fox-Pitt

crabbymare

Visit site
I would assume hat as he is undersedation there will be very little news until they decide that the danger of whatever they are sedating for has passed and it is safe to start to reduce the sedation. so if for example they are worried that his brain may swell due to hitting his head then they would be likely to wait until bruising or whatever has reduced. from the 2 people (1 close) I have known that were under sedation this can take to at least 10 days. hopefully the only news they have is that he is stable which is all you can really expect until they start to reduce the sedative and see how he manages and if I was family I would not be saying anything even then as its even more stressful at that point as you have the extra pressure of will they wont they be ok and be able to have the sedation reduced more or will there be a bad reaction and need more time. at the moment I am just thinking no news is fine but this time next week I would have hoped for something

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Crabbymare, thank you for such a concise insight, you have obviously seen this first hand so your thoughts are appreciated. I know that all cases are going to be different but this may well explain why it is so quiet on the update front, that there is simply nothing of any consequence to report. Lets all pray that just a little more time is whats needed for William x

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Jules Bianchi also suffered serious head trauma with fatal results. Michael Schumacher whilst alive is also far from his old self. Pessimistic as it may seem as a F1 follower this is all I can think of. I so hope that William is in a far better condition and that he comes es out of it with as little after effects as possible.

popsdosh

Visit site
Whilst it is silly to speculate. We all wish the best for William but I suspect it may be a very long and arduous road for all involved.
For what its worth I personally would rather have a major head trauma in France than the UK mainly for the fact they deal with more out there due to Skiing accidents. He is in the best of hands . Nobody knows how long it will be before we know any more a lot wont be known until he is not under sedation any more and further assessment can be made.

Last edited:

dressage_diva

Visit site
As someone who recovered from a serious brain injury (I suffered a spontaneous brain haemorrhage which has left me with long lasting effects) I can only advise that any serious head trauma/brain injuries do inevitably have a slow and long healing and recovery process. I was fortunate enough to not be sedated (whether I should have been, I don't know as I was taken ill abroad where there were no neurologists on the Island!!!) but I can't even begin to tell you how utter debilitating and slow the recovery process was - i struggled to even stand and walk to the end of my room! In my case the severity of my injury means that even 2 years on I'm not fully recovered (and I never will).

Like everyone here I am extremely anxious about WFP's condition, but as others have already said everything about brain injuries takes time and unfortunately I think we all just have to be patient :(

teapot

Visit site
BE just released another statement... saying absolutely nothing new. Just stable under continued observation with no changes to report.

ChwaraeTeg

Visit site
As someone who recovered from a serious brain injury (I suffered a spontaneous brain haemorrhage which has left me with long lasting effects) I can only advise that any serious head trauma/brain injuries do inevitably have a slow and long healing and recovery process. I was fortunate enough to not be sedated (whether I should have been, I don't know as I was taken ill abroad where there were no neurologists on the Island!!!) but I can't even begin to tell you how utter debilitating and slow the recovery process was - i struggled to even stand and walk to the end of my room! In my case the severity of my injury means that even 2 years on I'm not fully recovered (and I never will).

Like everyone here I am extremely anxious about WFP's condition, but as others have already said everything about brain injuries takes time and unfortunately I think we all just have to be patient :(

I too was in a coma for a few weeks (but not induced) following a skull fracture and brain haemorrhages after my horse fell. It was a year or so before I could string a sentence together , and mobility was a big problem. Prognosis was poor but with plenty of prayers, patient support and bloody-minded determination, I was able to make a far better recovery than anyone anticipated. I hope and pray this will be the case for William Fox Pitt and for you DD .

dressage_diva

Visit site
I too was in a coma for a few weeks (but not induced) following a skull fracture and brain haemorrhages after my horse fell. It was a year or so before I could string a sentence together , and mobility was a big problem. Prognosis was poor but with plenty of prayers, patient support and bloody-minded determination, I was able to make a far better recovery than anyone anticipated. I hope and pray this will be the case for William Fox Pitt and for you DD .

Thanks, I hope WFP has better luck than I have! Sadly I have permanent brain damage to the visual processing part of my brain so have a permanent blind spot, but other than that and reduced stamina and migraines I'm luckily fine, and most people can't tell I have brain damage! I am sure that WFP will be surrounded by support and his determination will mean that he will recover and be able to ride horses again!!!! Keep fighting WFP and if anyone connected to him is reading this thread, I strongly suggest you make contact with your local Headway branch in the UK who offered me a great deal of help!

lannerch

Visit site
I'm another who suffered subarachnoid haemorrhage I was sedated in an induced coma for a week, my poor parents were told my injury was life threatening .

I made a full recovery well memory may be affected or it may be because I am dizzy, however my recovery was quick,

I was not allowed to ride for 6 months that killed me, however I am not sure a professional rider would stick to that as in sure it was because the consultAnt who said he saw far worse head injuries from horse riders than motor cyclists wanted to keep me off a horse as long as possible .

Keeping everything crossed for William he is my eventing hero such natural talent and balance and still here we are, it makes me question whether I should event again because if it happens to him what hope have I .

We need you 2016 William get better soon

Luci07

Visit site
Thank you to those who shared their experience and explained what the silence means. While no one wants to pester a family who have enough to contend with, those of us who support and wish WFP are keen to hear news. Your explanations have put everything into context.

dressage_diva

Visit site
I was not allowed to ride for 6 months that killed me, however I am not sure a professional rider would stick to that as in sure it was because the consultAnt who said he saw far worse head injuries from horse riders than motor cyclists wanted to keep me off a horse as long as possible .

Sorry to hear it took you 6momths to ride again. My consultants told me that I was at no greater risk riding than someone who hadn't had a brain injury and that I could ride again as soon as I felt well enough. I sat back on my old boy (18 at the time) about 3weeks after my brain bleed but I found I was exhausted after I'd tacked up before I even got on and my visual issues made me feel quite nervous that I couldn't see things well enough. I thought I'd never be brave enough to hack again with my vision! I was back riding properly within 6months and am back happily hacking too (though I do have to be aware of my blind spot particularly when in the school with others)

PolarSkye

Visit site
I'm another who suffered subarachnoid haemorrhage I was sedated in an induced coma for a week, my poor parents were told my injury was life threatening .

I made a full recovery well memory may be affected or it may be because I am dizzy, however my recovery was quick,

Keeping everything crossed for William he is my eventing hero such natural talent and balance and still here we are, it makes me question whether I should event again because if it happens to him what hope have I .

We need you 2016 William get better soon

I think we can count him out of 2016 . . . right now it's all about getting him back to his family . . . I will be very sad if this is the end of his competitive career, but I won't be surprised - he is a great competitor, but he's a husband and father first . . . and his family needs him.

P

Doris68

Visit site
I think we can count him out of 2016 . . . right now it's all about getting him back to his family . . . I will be very sad if this is the end of his competitive career, but I won't be surprised - he is a great competitor, but he's a husband and father first . . . and his family needs him.

P

Well said PolarSkye. We can only hope that he recovers and can lead a full and happy life with his lovely family. Get well soon William, we're all thinking of you.

popsdosh

Visit site

P

Yes that will be a huge achievement in itself! And that is all we should hope for at this stage.

dressage_diva

Visit site

Agreed! My hopes are that he can recover to see his children grow up and to spend quality time with all of his family. Anything on top of that would be a huge bonus, though it will be an incredibly sad way to bow out of the sport and the eventing community will have lost one of their great stars if he can never compete again.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I have to say, I agree totally with the last few comments. I know if I were his wife, I wouldnt be encouraging him back in the saddle any time soon. Im fairly sure Alice rides though and is a level headed, common sense sort of person. Im sure she is more than aware of the risks
faced by riders every time they hop on board and if William is able and wants to resume competitive riding, she will be his greatest support! I continue to think of them as a family and send my very best wishes for a full and speedy recovery x

Greybird

Visit site
From William's web site

News
William - update Monday 26Oct
Home » News » William - update Monday 26Oct
26-October-2015

William has made progress over the weekend; today he is conscious, breathing alone and communicating with his family and doctors, however he is still very ill.

He and his family are very grateful for all the support and messages, it is hugely appreciated

Further progress is going to take time, so please continue to respect the family’s privacy.

MadisonBelle

Visit site
From William's web site

News
Home » News » William - update Monday 26Oct
26-October-2015

William has made progress over the weekend; today he is conscious, breathing alone and communicating with his family and doctors, however he is still very ill.

He and his family are very grateful for all the support and messages, it is hugely appreciated

Further progress is going to take time, so please continue to respect the family’s privacy.

Thanks goodness..... what excellent news! fingers crosses progress continues and that he is up and about soon.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Oh thank goodness for something more encouraging. Like a lot of sportsmen, hopefully his overall fitness and strength will be a huge positive in his recovery.

WandaMare

Visit site
So pleased to hear that he is conscious now, keeping everything crossed that all continues to progress well with his recovery.