Win a pony....

be positive

Visit site
Thought you were offering a new competition :p
I might have lots of horses but I'm always ready to take a new one! :D

*shrugs and walks off, disappointed*

If you really 'need' another I have a lovely companion pony that would be happy to join your herd!

One person did win a horse many years ago and it started her in a new career as a show rider/ producer but her name escapes me, I am not sure she is still about but someone else may remember a bay pba that she showed I think as a hack or RH.

Ruftysdad

Visit site
Thought you were offering a new competition :p
I might have lots of horses but I'm always ready to take a new one! :D

*shrugs and walks off, disappointed*
Many years ago my friend won a pony in a raffle at the now defunct Altrincham show. She named him Raffles and he turned out to be a brilliant Gymkhana pony

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Just having a clear out of old mags and stuff- does anyone remember the "win a pony" and "win a horse" in Riding, Pony and other magazines? Did anyone on here ever win one? Or know anyone who did?
God !! I got excited there 😂😂😂

chaps89

Visit site
A lady who keeps her horse on my share horses yard won the your horse one about 2 years ago.
It took a long time to find the right horse and unfortunately the lady has had a huge loss of confidence (not related to the horse - he's a saint) it's quite sad really. That said, he is very pampered and she enjoys doing the pampering, so they're both happy.

tiahatti

Visit site
I remember these competitions in Your Horse a few years ago. I wonder if the winner still has the horse they won.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Oh my, I'd completely forgotten they used to have those competitions, I remember desperately wanting to win. I rarely seem to win anything although apparently I won a bottle of sherry in a raffle when I was five. I wasn't allowed to keep my prize.

Hahaha I did too in the village fète when I was about 10 my Mum swopped it with me for so wthing more suitable 😅

Fransurrey

Visit site
A friend of mine won it, years ago. I think it might have been the first one they ran, about 2007 - might have been 2008? She stills owns the horse, but he's loaned by someone else, now. She was the lady with a heart condition who had a close brush with death and she had to scale right back on exercise, as she was struggling. Horse is very much still loved and pampered, though.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I remember these competitions in Your Horse a few years ago. I wonder if the winner still has the horse they won.

Mmmm. I wondered about that too TBH, when all the excitement and glitter has worn away and the glare of publicity has all gone, how the person actually got on with their horse, whether it worked out, what they did, etc. Did they hit any snags? If so how did they deal with it? Those are the sort of questions I would want to know about!

Think they should do a follow-up say X-years down the line! See how their winners have done and catch up with them! But then again, perhaps the magazine doesn't want to know! If they did do a catch-up, they'd probably feel obliged to offer the prize again and they may not want to I guess!

I did have a punt, yep remember the WH Smith win-a-pony. I KNEW I'd win it! Dammit!

The later ones in adult Horsey magazines were obviously aimed at fiarly high-powered people who keep their horses at a BHS and/or competition-type yard, and who would be wanting to compete regularly and obviously show the magazine in a good light. I got the feeling that people like me who keep their horses at home and just enjoy lobbing around the lanes, with the occasional pleasure ride or quiet day's hunting when I can cadge a lift, weren't really "the right sort of type" for them to consider giving you the prize! 'Twas the distinct impression I gained..........

SEL

Visit site
I remember the WH Smith one and the pony ones from when I was little. Filled in all the entry forms but given mum needed to post them off I'm pretty sure they ended up in the bin!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I entered the WH Smith and Pony ones, there was a tie breaker question of the like of why having the pony would make you happy. Sadly, I did not win, and to rub salt into the wounds I recollect that a few months after the pony was won the lucky girl and the pony were on the front cover, she was sitting on him whilst he was paddling in the sea.

She was wearing a bikini and NO HAT!!!

I was pretty pi$$ed.

If I had won I would have worn a hat at all times, it was simply not fair!!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I remember the WH Smith one and the pony ones from when I was little. Filled in all the entry forms but given mum needed to post them off I'm pretty sure they ended up in the bin!!
hahahaah! sneaky mum. I expect mine would have done the same, *just in case* ;)

Reactions: SEL

chaps89

Visit site
Tiahatti / mijods - see my post above. Winner from a couple of years ago still has the horse, they don't really do alot but he's still very much loved.

Baywonder

Visit site
Oh gosh yes - win a pony competitions! I was banned from entering them, because my parents said, "even if you did win, we could not afford to keep it!" :mad:

I remember dreaming about being the winner....and I also remember sticking pins in the eyes of the girl that won every time! I always made sure there wasn't a nice poster the other side before I did it though! :p

Does anyone remember Freddie the pony? If memory serves me correctly, I think you were able to have him on 'loan' for a year.....?

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I entered the WH Smith and Pony ones, there was a tie breaker question of the like of why having the pony would make you happy. Sadly, I did not win, and to rub salt into the wounds I recollect that a few months after the pony was won the lucky girl and the pony were on the front cover, she was sitting on him whilst he was paddling in the sea.

She was wearing a bikini and NO HAT!!!

I was pretty pi$$ed.

If I had won I would have worn a hat at all times, it was simply not fair!!!

Is it really sad that I can still remember that cover - and that her name was Samantha?!
I was ever so slightly jealous/disappointed that I didn't win - again!!!